Talk

Advanced search

If you have a cleaner, how often, what jobs & how much?

(9 Posts)
superflybaby Wed 16-Jul-08 15:49:20

How often do they clean?
What jobs do you give them & what do you do yourself (and why)?
How much do you pay?

girlnextdoor Thu 17-Jul-08 16:15:28

well, I DID have a cleaner once when I was getting over an illness.

I found it tricky, tbh- I was one of those who cleaned up first.

I was at home when she came which I think was a mistake now. She used to talk too much. She did hoovering - all of house- and dusted every room, but not our bedroom- felt invasion of privacy. She also did ironing and cleaning windows and mopping kitchen floors.

She did not do bathrooms- my decision.

I decided in the end that as she talked to me whilst she was there, I may as well have done it slowly myself as I got nothing done while she was in the house!

I think I have the wrong attitude for a cleaner- I like my privacy and don't want anyone else to see pubes in the bath.

bythepowerofgreyskull Thu 17-Jul-08 16:19:55

we have a cleaner

she comes for 2 hours a week.
She DOES NOT tidy (I can't afford that)
She cleans thoroughly the upstairs one week an downstairs the next.

we pay £9 per hour. I know we are paying £1 per hour more than our neighbour pays her but I don't mind as she has been cleaning for them for 4 years.

thelittlestbadger Thu 17-Jul-08 16:21:41

I have a cleaner. She cleans once a week for 3 hours and I pay £10 per hour shock but live in London so think its pretty standard.

She cleans the kitchen very thoroughly, wipes down all surfaces, windows, hob, sink, does washing up if there is any. Same sort of thing in bathrooms. Everywhere else she picks stuff up off the floor and hoovers.

I tidy because I like it and don't trust anyone else with it. I also like doing laundry so I know where it is put away. I don't like ironing but don't really think it is so awful that I want to pay someone else £10 to do it - unlike hoovering and cleaning out the fridge!

Tinkerisdead Thu 17-Jul-08 16:22:23

I had a cleaner until i stopped work in Feb, we paid her 40.00. she used to come once a fortnight for 4 hours, clean bathrooms, hoover, mop floors, dust and polish and wipe kitchen surfaces sink etc. She also used to do our ironing if we needed it in the intermittant weeks for same price. Not sure if pay was fair, used to spend around 4 hours so i thought it was fine. DH had employed her before meeting me. (i should add that i would clean in the interim weeks but it took pressure off and allowed us free weekends etc to have her)

did have a few mishaps though, she used a brillo pad on my new steel hob, she burned a logo on a T shirt but nothing major. and like girl next door says, go out when they come otherwise its just awkward.

girlnextdoor Thu 17-Jul-08 16:25:24

i don't mind hoovering but I HATE ironing!

My list was based on what seemed best value- e.g no point doing jobs that needed doing every day- like general tidying up etc-whereas windows get done now and then, so you can really see the difference when they are done.

MrsTiddles Fri 18-Jul-08 19:42:52

our cleaner comes once a week for 4 hrs straight

she irons all my Dh's work shirts (between 4 and 8)

she washes the floors of 2 bathrooms, kitchen, living room and our bedroom (wooden). She vaccums these rooms plus the stairs (2 lots), hall, office, children's bedroom. she scrubs the shower, bath, 2 loos, 2 bathroom sinks, wipes mirrors, dusts furniture (does not move or tidy objects)

she changes the sheets on our bed (started when I was heavily preg and couldn't manage it)

she cleans the kitchen, scrubs the cooker, the sink, the table, the worksurfaces

and she'll do the odd thing if you ask, like clean out the fridge and wipe it down, or shake out rugs or clean cupboard shelves.

she has plenty of time to do this all in 4 hrs and takes personal calls and has a coffee with me and interacts with my children. She helps with the children in so much as picking one up if he or she cries when I'm dealing with the other one. AT first this freaked me out and now its great, and they like her a lot.

MrsTiddles Fri 18-Jul-08 19:44:19

ah yes, £10 perhour

she was originally through an agency that took 4.50 of every £10 she earned

now she's freelance and the rate has stuck

marmalady Fri 18-Jul-08 19:48:27

I tidy (so she can clean easily) and I don't mind this as it makes me sort the house out a bit.

Cleaner is fab. In 2 hrs cleans all rooms thoroughly and hoovers/cleans floors.

Changes beds.

Will clean oven if I remember to spray it in time!

£9 p/hr.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now