Talk

Advanced search

limescale removal help please ladies

(8 Posts)
lucysmam Wed 16-Jul-08 15:15:14

hiya, since moving into my house ive tried all sorts of products to remove the limescale from my loo which was coated (is that the right word??) in it but none of them have been successful and 2 years on it still looks a state.

anyone got any ideas what might shift it quickly and cheaply if possible as im starting to give up hope.

Tinkerisdead Wed 16-Jul-08 15:28:17

If its in the pan you can leave cocacola in it overnight, try to get rid of as much or the water as possible, either scoop it out or use a loo brush vigourously. the less water to dilute the better, then leave either coke or vinegar in the loo.

if its under the rim etc or higher in the pan, i soak cheap J cloth in vinegar and pack them against it, leave overnight and scrub off. personally i find vinegar better than coke but both should sort it.smile

superloopy Wed 16-Jul-08 15:31:26

I had this problem too in our flat. The limescale was dark brown and looked like skidmarks. I tried all sorts of chemicals, acids, vinegar, coca cola...

Anyway I finally got my rubber gloves on and chipped it off with a screw driver very carefully. It was quite thick and came off in large sheets once I got started.

Underneath was lovely clean white!

I just wished I had done it sooner, not just when we were selling, but anytime during the 4 years we lived there!

lucysmam Wed 16-Jul-08 15:36:03

white or brown vinegar doctorswife??

and i'm guessing cocacola doesnt have to be the branded stuff but any old cola?

not too sure about chipping it off superloopy, its a rented house and although bathroom could probably do with replacing i dont think the landlords likely to do it as he's already tried to take us to court over £1600 rent we'd paid him directly that he'd not told agent about!!!!

Fizzylemonade Wed 16-Jul-08 16:26:00

We had a pink toilet that we inherited and after the vendors "bloo" diluted down and we could see the bottom of the toilet it was disgusting and brown from the water line all the way round and down.

I emptied out all the water using a small plastic cup nicked taken from the children. Then I used (and I still do this) Harpic 100% limescale remover. I wore gloves, squirted it all round and kept going back in all day long to redistribute it back up the sides.

I used a green scouring pad and went gently and it flakes off. I still do this now on my pristine white suite.

I should add that we have another toilet to use, if you don't I suggest you do this last thing at night, leave it and then just flush it in the morning. It may take a couple of applications but it should work.

Fimbo Wed 16-Jul-08 16:27:43

Try Lidl's W5 for limescale.

Fantastic stuff

lucysmam Wed 16-Jul-08 16:48:53

thank-you ladies, i'm going to asda friday so will get cola n harpic n rubber gloves.

mil going to lidl tomorrow so will ask her for some w5 as well.

i'm desperate to get it sorted as suite's peach n it looks horrid

Idobelieveinfairies Wed 16-Jul-08 17:14:59

I did what fizzy said and it does work eventually.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now