Talk

Advanced search

REVOLTING CLEANING QUESTION: ancient wee-sodden armchair.

(10 Posts)
MadamAnt Wed 16-Jul-08 10:26:15

We've moved into a rented house. It has an old (antique?) armchair that smells very strongly of wee. I've spoken to the letting agents about it, and for various reasons I have offered to try to clean it myself, rather than getting them to reupholster it.

I've tried scrubbing the surface with water + furniture shampoo, but it hasn't worked. The wee has obviously seeped into the wadding.

It's a sunnyish day here, so I'm tempted to try a drastic soaking (the chair can't be ruined any more than its current state, and the letting agents have given me the go-ahead).

Any tips? I'm thinking of making a bicarb / hot water / lavender oil solution. Does that sound sensible?

Collision Wed 16-Jul-08 10:28:57

bicarb of soda!

Collision Wed 16-Jul-08 11:00:01

I put bicarb over the carpet where ds weed and it did the trick!

and when ds wet the bed bicarb worked again!

I love it. smile

could you not put the chair in the loft??

RubyRioja Wed 16-Jul-08 11:03:08

I think I would use a match
hthgrin

MadamAnt Wed 16-Jul-08 11:05:36

Yes collision, I thought bicarb would be a good idea. I <heart> bicarb too. That and WD40.

There is no space in the storage room for it, unfortunately. We've filled it with the rest of the landlord's junk belongings.

What sort of ratio of water:bicarb, do you think? I usually bung a tbs in with the nappy wash, but this is going to be an industrial job.

MadamAnt Wed 16-Jul-08 11:06:03

RR - don't tempt me wink

Lemontart Wed 16-Jul-08 11:09:52

I would get drastic with the bicarb. First I would get a bucket of warm water, few drops of tea tree oil (creepy crawlies and bugs hate it, freshens too) and a whole tub of bicarb tipped in. Use that to "soak the material thoroughly. With a scrubbing brush/old nail scrubber I would brush away at the fabric with a paste made of another tub of bicarb with enough warm water to turn it into grainy toothpaste consistency. Scrub away and see what happens. Make sure all the fabric is wet evenly first to avoid any water marks making it look worse first.
Rinse thoroughly, let it dry out and see whether it will need further treatment.
Good Luck

JoyS Wed 16-Jul-08 11:12:10

THROW IT AWAY. Call landlord/letting agent, say 'this chair has SOMEBODY ELSE'S WEE on it, would you rather come and pick it up or shall I take it to the tip?'

[shudder]

MadamAnt Wed 16-Jul-08 11:28:27

JoyS - I know that would e the obvious route grin But for reasons too long and tedious to elaborate on, I can't do that.

MadamAnt Wed 16-Jul-08 11:29:30

Very wet armchair is now in garden, with small children doing a war dance in the pissy-water puddles around it. Ugh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now