Talk

Advanced search

My shower is not draining very well - product recommendations for shifting the gunk?

(18 Posts)
handlemecarefully Tue 15-Jul-08 10:49:46

The water is draining very slowly and shower tray gets full to brim of water during showering (necessitating me switching it off and letting it drain before resuming showering!). Obviously there is all sorts of repulsive slime and hair down there. Are there any products which dissolve the gunk and unblock it?

Thanks

handlemecarefully Tue 15-Jul-08 11:19:14

MehgaLegs Tue 15-Jul-08 11:24:11

I usually use caustic soda - I get it from Robert Dyas. I found the drain unblockers didn't work so well.

They all very nasty chemical wise so get gloves and stand well back.

We get this problem in our shower and every so often DH has to climb up a ladder to get to the junction in the soil pipe where the shower waste pipe joins. For some reason this gets really blocked and needs a good poke with a stick.

Hopefully the caustic soda will shift it for you though.

katierocket Tue 15-Jul-08 11:24:27

mr muscle sink unblocker is very good

ClareVoiant Tue 15-Jul-08 11:27:08

Good old fashioned plunger and a strong arm worked for us :-) no chemicals required.

zippitippitoes Tue 15-Jul-08 11:28:22

i just pull the thing out and remove the hair dont all showers have that

Sidge Tue 15-Jul-08 11:36:06

I use Mr Muscle Active Foamer which is good.

CoffeeCrazedMama Tue 15-Jul-08 11:37:17

Buster Bathroom Drain cleaner is brilliant. I have 3 longhaired dds so hair in the shower drain (mixed to a putty with all their smelly bath products, nice) is an ongoing fact of life here.

You pour it in, wait a set time, flush with hot water and voila.

You get it at Waitrose or John Lewis, not sure where else.

WendyWeber Tue 15-Jul-08 11:48:14

Yes, Buster is v good (black bottle, blue top) and they have it in Lidl amazingly - £1.99 there I think.

I have also used their kitchen one in the bathroom, it depends how bad the blockage is.

MrsBadger Tue 15-Jul-08 11:52:41

I get as much hair as I can out first then use Mr Muscle Sink & Drain Unblocker (orange bottle)

and get a hair trap from Lakeland or Betterware - tip it into the bin before you shower (dry hair much less nasty than wet)

Sawyer64 Tue 15-Jul-08 11:52:52

We had the same problems,when the plumber came he said had we used anything on it as whatever he'd use would be dangerous if mixing with any other chemicals,so stick with one type.He also took a look,our house is 3 years old,and the pipe was running slightly up hillshock

Getting anyone to admit its their responsibility is the hard part!

After its sorted get a sink hole cover of some description to stop/reduce hair etc going down

QuintessentialShadows Tue 15-Jul-08 12:01:23

First I would just take the top part of the drain off and clear out as much as I can myself.

I have been using Mr Muscle and all sorts for years, always trying new products, but today I simply used caustic soda, and I am amazed.

If you DO go down the caustic soda route, ensure you have rubber gloves, and you are very careful when mixing the crystals (2 dl with 1 l COLD water) I mixed it in a plastic bottle, but the heat created from the chemical reaction between the caustic soda crystals and the water was quite scary and made the bottle change shape, so I am not sure I would recommend that. Anyway, I used a funnel to pour 2 dl caustic soda crystals into a 2 l water bottle, I added 1 l cold water and shock it carefully to mix, then I poured it down the sink. I waited 2-3 minutes before flushing, and I am astounded at the good result.

Be careful though. Mix in a glass or metal container, as there would be no chemical reaction with your solution and the vessel if you do that..... DOnt spill....

Good Luck.

halster Tue 15-Jul-08 12:05:00

Chuck a load of soda crystals down it, leave for a bit and then flush with hot water. It's cheap, effective and not as harmful to the environment. Soda crystals rock! ('scuse the pun..)

Scootergrrrl Tue 15-Jul-08 12:07:15

Empty some bicarb down there then tip in some white vinegar - it makes a lovely volcano effect! Rinse after 10 minutes or so.

PuppyMonkey Tue 15-Jul-08 12:08:10

Another vote for soda crystals here!

sagacious Tue 15-Jul-08 12:09:35

Plunger
Take out plug drain if thats the type it is
Bicarb/vinegar volcano

[hippy emoticon]

handlemecarefully Tue 15-Jul-08 14:48:52

Wow I'm spoilt for choice here re different methods. Thanks

slinky2008 Tue 15-Jul-08 15:53:35

just done the vinegar and bicarb treatment on the bath plughole and it's draining much faster with just one volcano! - some great tips gang - thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now