Talk

Advanced search

Do you have days for specific tasks and does it work? or any magic system, really!

(16 Posts)
Gemzooks Fri 11-Jul-08 22:42:18

Drowning in crap (not ilterally).

Sure the key is better ways of doing things. Like discovering you shouldn't wash the floor and then wipe the worktops so more bits fall on the floor, but work up to down, that kind of thing.

Trying to get cleaner, don't have one at the moment, so this is an issue!

Roskva Sat 12-Jul-08 09:23:32

I don't so much have a detailed system, but I have a philosophy of bite sized chunks. For example, if a room looks like a bomb has hit, I don't try to do everything in one go. I start by clearing the floor and furniture, chucking dd's toys into one washing basket and anything else that doesn't belong into another. Those can get put away later. The floor can then get hoovered. I don't necessarily do it all at once. One day a week, I clean one thing in the bathroom each time I go to the loo, doing the floor last. And so on through the house.

Ohireallyshouldnt Sat 12-Jul-08 09:35:07

I always start with downstairs, kitchen first, then hall then sitting room then conservatory. That way if people drop by, at least the half of the house they see is clean and tidy! I have a white tiled kitchen floor (huge mistake) which has to be cleaned daily, which i hate, so i do it first. But i always throw things out of whichever room i am doing into the hall, so i can put them in their right rooms after that. The worst thing about me is my habit of putting my clothes on the floor, instead of away. The Floordrobe, my partner calls it, so everyday i have to force myself to hang them all up. I till have a messy bedroom like a teenager, even when the rest of the house is all spotless and grown-up! blush

AbbeyA Sat 12-Jul-08 09:44:14

I couldn't stand having a system or routine-it would get me down! I prefer to have a good go every so often when in the mood.

octavia Sat 12-Jul-08 10:48:03

I have to have a routine otherwise nothing would get done.Don't always stick to it as its not always possible with 3 children.I do try and get the basics done though each day

MrsTiddles Sat 12-Jul-08 17:48:10

I sweep the floor after every meal, do laundry every day (to keep it down). Change the bed every week. wash towels every weekend. and so on.

MadameCheese Sat 12-Jul-08 18:58:07

I feel like such a failure sometimes if I've not managed to do any housework. Much of the time I have to feel embarrassed enough to do it, for example if someone popped round without warning (which happened on friday, incidentally she is a cleaner ). Sometimes I feel overwhelmed by the amount of crap everywhere but know it's mostly my fault. Would be nice to be able to invite people round for coffee without thinking I can't because the house is so messy.

blossomsmine Mon 14-Jul-08 14:54:59

My, amazingly organised and clean freak friend, called this morning to say she was in the area and could she pop in for a quick coffee!!! For once the house (well the rooms she was going to see!) were ok (ish!) that, i think is because before i went to bed i had a general tidy of the sitting room and kitchen, she did ask to use the loo (shame) but it wasn't too bad!
I always work for ceiling height to floor, so all rubbish knocked onto floor, i also do dusting before hoovering for the same reason. I always work from left to right in whatever room i am in, then i don't forget to do something when i get sidetracked into doing another job! That is something i learnt from working for a domestic cleaning company.
I also, always always have to hoover each day or i get palpitations shock

Roskva Tue 15-Jul-08 10:52:33

wow, I don't have the energy to hoover every day - I'm 6 months pg and find the the pushing the hoover/mopping floor motion really hard atm.

Clary Wed 16-Jul-08 00:14:58

I have a lovely cleaning routine which I can post if you want me too (I love it so).

But basically allocate days for certain key tasks. Start with laundry - I wash towels, our bedding and the kids (3) bedding each week, so have a day for each of those.

The I aim to hoover upstairs twice a week, so allocate that, ditto cleaning bathroom, etc etc.

Of course your "musts" may be my "ignore that"s but if you work out your priorities (which may be mopping kitchen floor each day) then that will help.

Clary Wed 16-Jul-08 00:15:27

I have a lovely cleaning routine which I can post if you want me too (I love it so).

But basically allocate days for certain key tasks. Start with laundry - I wash towels, our bedding and the kids (3) bedding each week, so have a day for each of those.

The I aim to hoover upstairs twice a week, so allocate that, ditto cleaning bathroom, etc etc.

Of course your "musts" may be my "ignore that"s but if you work out your priorities (which may be mopping kitchen floor each day) then that will help.

Clary Wed 16-Jul-08 00:15:56

gah blardy computerblush

CoolYourJets Wed 16-Jul-08 02:19:02

smiles beseechingly at clary grin

EustaciaVye Wed 16-Jul-08 08:26:14

Yes I have a system. I follow flylady here Lots of wordy stuff but the principles are good.

Clary Wed 16-Jul-08 08:57:37

coolyourjets do you mean you want the routine?

Clary Wed 16-Jul-08 09:07:39

I posted it before here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now