Talk

Advanced search

Just made 4lb Cherry jam - What do I do with the other 10lb of cherries?

(26 Posts)
JacobsPrincess Fri 11-Jul-08 21:17:05

We've been given a cherry tree rental and picked our cherries yesterday. All sorted, cleaned and weighed. Now I 've made loads of jam, but need some more ideas!
(nothing too strenous though, I'm 40+3!)

ProfYaffle Fri 11-Jul-08 21:21:21

Cherry vodka?

How to do it

Apparently it's nice

JacobsPrincess Fri 11-Jul-08 21:39:26

Thanks for that Prof. Jogged my memory too - how about some cherries in Brandy? Just right for Christmas gifts (or scoffing all myself!)

schneebly Fri 11-Jul-08 21:40:39

and a big pie! yum!

ProfYaffle Fri 11-Jul-08 21:45:57

smile I've got raspberry vodka and strawberry brandy on the go at the moment - yummy.

JacobsPrincess Fri 11-Jul-08 21:57:27

ooh! Strawberry brandy! Sounds fab.
I've got blackberry gin in the cupboard I made for a ploughing match domestic comp last year, but then got pregnant, so haven't had the chance to drink it yet!

MrsThierryHenry Fri 11-Jul-08 22:05:45

Make shed loads of cherry ice cream! Easy-peasy.

Here's the basic recipe:

500g cherries
500ml db cream
250ml whole milk
4 egg yolks
125g caster sugar

You'll need a mixer and a blender. No need for a poncey ice-cream maker.

1) Blend half the cherries. Set aside.
2) Pour half the cream into a pan. Add all the milk. Cook it on high until it starts to bubble (if it forms a skin, don't worry - I usually just mix these in and you never notice). Turn the heat off.
3) Blend the eggs with the sugar. Pour the hot milk over the eggs, whisking all the time. Pour back into the pan and cook gently until it starts to thicken. Turn the heat off, leave it to thicken while you get on with the next steps.
4) Lightly whisk the remaining cream until it's just firm.
5) Mix all the cherries into the warm custard .
6) Fold in the whisked cream. Taste it - it should be a bit too sweet as the freezing process mollifies the sweetness.
7) Now for the bit that makes you say: 'Why spend oodles of money on an ice-cream maker?
8) Pour the lot into a tupperware pot. Freeze for 1.5 hrs. Take it out, whisk it gently (making sure all the frozen ice cream around the edges gets mixed in). Put it back in the freezer.
9) Wait an hour. Take it out and repeat the whisking exercise above.
10) Wait about 3 more hours. Take it out. Eat, eat and eat some more! It will be FABULOUS!!
11) Send me some in the post grin

OI Fri 11-Jul-08 22:07:21

there's that cake with them in. Does it begin with a c? It's v v nice. Is it Greek? Hang on, will think.

OI Fri 11-Jul-08 22:08:22

clafoutis

seeker Fri 11-Jul-08 22:09:09

Send the to me.

And PLEASE tell me about cherry tree rental - I want to do it!!!!

JacobsPrincess Fri 11-Jul-08 22:10:37

Ice cream sounds wonderful! My dad's into making ice cream at the mo, so I might get him to do it!!
Do you mean Clafloutis (or some spelling like that!) OI?

OverMyDeadBody Fri 11-Jul-08 22:11:59

ok Please please tell me about cherry tree rentals. How does one go about it? DS lurrrvvves cherries but I can never afford to buy them.

OverMyDeadBody Fri 11-Jul-08 22:12:38

come on, tell seeker and I.

seeker Fri 11-Jul-08 22:14:50

My dp has a real "thing" about cherry trees - it would be the best thing ever to rent him one!

JacobsPrincess Fri 11-Jul-08 22:15:42

Cross posts OI!
Our tree is from www.rentacherrytree.co.uk
Don't know if there is anything else like it in other parts of the country. It's fab, because we have a picnic under our tree in April when it's full of blossom and then get to pick and eat our cherries in the summer. It was a present from my Aunt.
I think it's £30 a year, but we've had at least 14lb of cherries and there are still some left on the tree (irght at the top, so ~I'm sending DH with a ladder) which we're going to collect tomorrow.

JacobsPrincess Fri 11-Jul-08 22:16:31

Here's the link

hoxtonchick Fri 11-Jul-08 22:20:49

that is so cool! where is the orchard jacobsprincess?

JacobsPrincess Fri 11-Jul-08 22:29:02

Northiam in East Sussex (near Hastings)

hoxtonchick Fri 11-Jul-08 22:31:38

thanks . bit far for us. but what a great idea.

OverMyDeadBody Fri 11-Jul-08 22:32:42

Wow, that is very cool!

Too far from me though.

JacobsPrincess Fri 11-Jul-08 22:38:52

I'll ask Michael ("Cherry Farmer" as ds calls him!) if he knows of anywhere else that does such a thing. Where are you?

OverMyDeadBody Fri 11-Jul-08 22:41:28

East Anglia area. Would love to find something like that round here!

seeker Fri 11-Jul-08 23:17:39

Can you ask if there's anything in Kent? Pretty please with sugar on top?

ProfYaffle Sat 12-Jul-08 08:07:01

Just come back to this thread, renting a cherry tree sounds wonderful, I'm in East Anglia too would be v interested if there was anything here.

ProfYaffle Sat 12-Jul-08 08:40:30

I found this scroll down to Lathcoats Farm in Chelmsford but it's apples, not quite as exciting as cherries, bit far away for me too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now