Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

dyson? worth it or not? and if so, which one do I get?

(45 Posts)
newgirl Mon 07-Jul-08 23:10:53

Hi

We've had a couple of vacuums over the years and none have been that great - should i spend a fortune on a dyson? will all my vacuuming issues be a thing of the past? carpets and wood floors?

i cant quite believe ive posted about a vacuum cleaner...

Not worth it! Heavy and breaks down loads and cumbersome and totally overrated.

Miele all the way, baby.

Our lives rock!

Bowddee Mon 07-Jul-08 23:15:46

GET ONE!!!!!!
I was snobbish for ages, and couldn't possibly see myself with something as common as a Dyson. What a plonk. I lurrve my Dyson.
Mine is a Dyson Stowaway DC20 Animal.

Niecie Mon 07-Jul-08 23:19:32

Not worth it. The saleman dissuaded us from buying one and advised a much cheaper Electrolux one and it is just fine.

My mum had one and it kept breaking down so she gave in and bought another make.

I have to use one at toddler group and I don't like it. Heavy and cumbersome - I wonder why somebody annoymously donated it.hmm

Gobbledigook Mon 07-Jul-08 23:28:30

NO! Don't do it! They are crap - break all the time and are like pushing a ton of bricks around. I had a couple before giving up and switching to Miele which is FAB.

babyjjbaby Tue 08-Jul-08 08:38:24

i love mine a dyson dc14 it is 3years old never had any problems with it picks up fab and i love how easy the hose is to get the nozzle out

herbietea Tue 08-Jul-08 08:42:48

Message withdrawn

ByTheSea Tue 08-Jul-08 08:46:41

I hate my Dyson (root cyclone - don't get it). I will pick it up yet again from being repaired later today -- this is the third time and I've only had it 4 years. This is my second Dyson and I don't know why I bought it - never again!

2sugars Tue 08-Jul-08 08:49:19

Get a Roomba (sameish price) and do the corners/stairs with your crappy old one. I've had mine about 2 months now and if it broke down beyond repair I'd replace it.

Mimsy2000 Tue 08-Jul-08 08:49:23

miele all the way - brilliant

i had a dyson before and it was great for the first six months but lost steam quickly and was totally useless by the end

hazygirl Tue 08-Jul-08 08:49:51

i have the dyson ball,i love it never breaks down and i have a german shephard that looses soo much hair and it picks up all of it,my dh got mil same one and shes frail and she manages it brill,x

KazzaL Tue 08-Jul-08 08:56:11

I;ve got the dyson animal (the cylinder one and pre-telescopic) DC08 I think and its about 5 1/2 yrs old now

We love it, we got it when we got cats as our £30 in tesco one didn't pick up any hair.

We've a mix of hardwood & carpet in our house and it does brilliantly on both. It's easy to keep clean and empty - and they come with a 5 year warranty now (I believe) what other brand offers this

I know they are expensive but I wouldn't chnage mine for anything

ChopsTheDuck Tue 08-Jul-08 09:13:32

my dyson is the only one that has actually lasted any length of time. Had an electrolux before that lasted less than a year. Jsut replaced the hose on mine, as it started splitting. I think it must be about 3 years old now. Also have the baby dyson which I love.

hotcrossbunny Tue 08-Jul-08 09:18:05

We have the DC07 and wouldn't swap it. The service has been excellent. I dropped it down the stairsblush the repair man was there the next day and replaced the bit that was broken and gave it a full service. We were never charged.... Picks up all the dog hair, easy to use. What isn't to like? We've had it for about 5 years now I think.

onceinalifetime Tue 08-Jul-08 09:19:29

IMHO - Dyson crap, Miele great and cheaper

newgirl Tue 08-Jul-08 10:43:21

thanks for the great replies.

I'm going to have a look at the models recommended and whispers miele too!

TheHedgeWitch Tue 08-Jul-08 12:46:28

Message withdrawn

Mandy73 Tue 08-Jul-08 13:55:42

Miele is great.

kats56 Tue 08-Jul-08 22:37:15

I had a Dyson but I don't think they are worth the money. They break down all the time, I've got a Meile now and it is brilliant! much better than the Dyson.

hanaflowerisnothana Tue 08-Jul-08 22:39:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

morocco Tue 08-Jul-08 22:50:03

mine wasn't much more than electrolux etc and comes with 5 year parts and labour guarantee. last (not a dyson) hoover lasted just over a year and cost £80 so over 5 years, that makes a lot of money to save by getting a dyson instead!

Sidge Tue 08-Jul-08 22:53:45

Dysons are shite.

Get a Miele - tis the fabbest of all fab vacuum cleaners! (And I've had a few.) I've got the S4211 and it's great.

Miele Cat and Dog.

mylovelymonster Tue 08-Jul-08 22:55:17

For about the zillionth time on MN - BUY A MIELE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hana Tue 08-Jul-08 22:56:07

we've just bought our second dyson - first one lasted 10 years. new one is stowaway one, fits perfectly into kitchen cupboard - used every fews days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now