Talk

Advanced search

dyson? worth it or not? and if so, which one do I get?

(45 Posts)
newgirl Mon 07-Jul-08 23:10:53

Hi

We've had a couple of vacuums over the years and none have been that great - should i spend a fortune on a dyson? will all my vacuuming issues be a thing of the past? carpets and wood floors?

i cant quite believe ive posted about a vacuum cleaner...

IAteRosemaryConleyForBreakfast Mon 07-Jul-08 23:14:55

Not worth it! Heavy and breaks down loads and cumbersome and totally overrated.

Miele all the way, baby.

Our lives rock!

Bowddee Mon 07-Jul-08 23:15:46

GET ONE!!!!!!
I was snobbish for ages, and couldn't possibly see myself with something as common as a Dyson. What a plonk. I lurrve my Dyson.
Mine is a Dyson Stowaway DC20 Animal.

Niecie Mon 07-Jul-08 23:19:32

Not worth it. The saleman dissuaded us from buying one and advised a much cheaper Electrolux one and it is just fine.

My mum had one and it kept breaking down so she gave in and bought another make.

I have to use one at toddler group and I don't like it. Heavy and cumbersome - I wonder why somebody annoymously donated it.hmm

Gobbledigook Mon 07-Jul-08 23:28:30

NO! Don't do it! They are crap - break all the time and are like pushing a ton of bricks around. I had a couple before giving up and switching to Miele which is FAB.

babyjjbaby Tue 08-Jul-08 08:38:24

i love mine a dyson dc14 it is 3years old never had any problems with it picks up fab and i love how easy the hose is to get the nozzle out

herbietea Tue 08-Jul-08 08:42:48

Message withdrawn

ByTheSea Tue 08-Jul-08 08:46:41

I hate my Dyson (root cyclone - don't get it). I will pick it up yet again from being repaired later today -- this is the third time and I've only had it 4 years. This is my second Dyson and I don't know why I bought it - never again!

2sugars Tue 08-Jul-08 08:49:19

Get a Roomba (sameish price) and do the corners/stairs with your crappy old one. I've had mine about 2 months now and if it broke down beyond repair I'd replace it.

Mimsy2000 Tue 08-Jul-08 08:49:23

miele all the way - brilliant

i had a dyson before and it was great for the first six months but lost steam quickly and was totally useless by the end

hazygirl Tue 08-Jul-08 08:49:51

i have the dyson ball,i love it never breaks down and i have a german shephard that looses soo much hair and it picks up all of it,my dh got mil same one and shes frail and she manages it brill,x

KazzaL Tue 08-Jul-08 08:56:11

I;ve got the dyson animal (the cylinder one and pre-telescopic) DC08 I think and its about 5 1/2 yrs old now

We love it, we got it when we got cats as our £30 in tesco one didn't pick up any hair.

We've a mix of hardwood & carpet in our house and it does brilliantly on both. It's easy to keep clean and empty - and they come with a 5 year warranty now (I believe) what other brand offers this

I know they are expensive but I wouldn't chnage mine for anything

ChopsTheDuck Tue 08-Jul-08 09:13:32

my dyson is the only one that has actually lasted any length of time. Had an electrolux before that lasted less than a year. Jsut replaced the hose on mine, as it started splitting. I think it must be about 3 years old now. Also have the baby dyson which I love.

hotcrossbunny Tue 08-Jul-08 09:18:05

We have the DC07 and wouldn't swap it. The service has been excellent. I dropped it down the stairsblush the repair man was there the next day and replaced the bit that was broken and gave it a full service. We were never charged.... Picks up all the dog hair, easy to use. What isn't to like? We've had it for about 5 years now I think.

onceinalifetime Tue 08-Jul-08 09:19:29

IMHO - Dyson crap, Miele great and cheaper

newgirl Tue 08-Jul-08 10:43:21

thanks for the great replies.

I'm going to have a look at the models recommended and whispers miele too!

TheHedgeWitch Tue 08-Jul-08 12:46:28

Message withdrawn

Mandy73 Tue 08-Jul-08 13:55:42

Miele is great.

kats56 Tue 08-Jul-08 22:37:15

I had a Dyson but I don't think they are worth the money. They break down all the time, I've got a Meile now and it is brilliant! much better than the Dyson.

hanaflowerisnothana Tue 08-Jul-08 22:39:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

morocco Tue 08-Jul-08 22:50:03

mine wasn't much more than electrolux etc and comes with 5 year parts and labour guarantee. last (not a dyson) hoover lasted just over a year and cost £80 so over 5 years, that makes a lot of money to save by getting a dyson instead!

Sidge Tue 08-Jul-08 22:53:45

Dysons are shite.

Get a Miele - tis the fabbest of all fab vacuum cleaners! (And I've had a few.) I've got the S4211 and it's great.

IAteRosemaryConleyForBreakfast Tue 08-Jul-08 22:54:47

Miele Cat and Dog.

mylovelymonster Tue 08-Jul-08 22:55:17

For about the zillionth time on MN - BUY A MIELE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hana Tue 08-Jul-08 22:56:07

we've just bought our second dyson - first one lasted 10 years. new one is stowaway one, fits perfectly into kitchen cupboard - used every fews days.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: