What saucepans to use on INDUCTION HOBS?

(10 Posts)
TrixieVix Tue 24-Jun-08 13:03:42

We're in the process of moving house, and the new house has already been fitted with a new kitchen, including cooker. At my old house, we were on electric for the oven, and gas for the hob.

BUT, the new house has got an induction hob, and my lovely Kitchenaid pans aren't suitable for use on an induction hob. Since I've realised this, every saucepan I look at says it isn't suitable for use on an induction hob!! Help - what do I do?

whomovedmychocolate Tue 24-Jun-08 13:09:42

Go to Debenhams and look out for Tefal red spot cookware. It has a spot which goes from black to red when it's hot enough to cook with - they are fab on induction hobs.

melrose Tue 24-Jun-08 15:16:01

I had this problem when we moved house. The first night we lived here I had to boil pasta in the wok as it was the only thing that worked! Basically this is cos the hob does not heat up but heats the actual pan if that makes any sense.

You can test all your existing pans with a magnet, if they are magnetic on the base then they will work.

Basically most all stainless steel pans are now induction suitable (as long as they are not copper based) but analon and the like don't work. I had to give my beautiful wedding present cookware away to my Mum!!

melrose Tue 24-Jun-08 15:17:01

I hated the induction hob to start with,, being used to gas but have got used to it. It is very fast to heat up and very efficient and much easier to clean!

sunderlander Tue 04-Nov-14 22:06:00

Am I being stupid or have I got the wrong hob!? My brand new Neff induction hob will only allow to me to boil 1 pan at a time. If I put 2 pans on at once I can only get to 6 heat setting on each ring and if I put a third on then the others automatically lower their heat! I've just been told that I can only go to a maximum of 12heat setting between the 4 rings.
Not quite sure what the point of that is or can someone tell me where I am going wrong please?

agoodbook Tue 04-Nov-14 22:55:33

You may need to post this as a new thread sunderlander , but that does sound odd - my aeg induction hob only depowers when all 4 hobs are going hell for leather !

Mouldypineapple Tue 04-Nov-14 22:58:00

I have a Neff induction hob. Rarely use all 4 but sunderlander I agree yours sounds dodgy!

We got our saucepans in John Lewis if that helps OP.

EarSlaps Wed 05-Nov-14 09:45:11

I got some great Circulon pans from Costco for my induction hob, plus my lovely Le Creuset griddle and casserole pot work on there.

Mine will only let you boost power on one ring each side (so on two) but you can use full power on all four afaik. Could yours be wired wrong, ie 13amp fuse rather than ?16amps?

MNicks Sun 08-May-16 08:40:43

I'm about to make the leap from gas to induction and have done a fair amount of research...A hard wired induction hob will offer more power than a job running of a 13 am plug. When buying you need to know the total output, for example ; a hob that is hard wired will have a total of 7kw (roughly) output split across the 4 rings (some have a boost function) .Hobs that run off a plug will be roughly half of that, maybe a 3kw output or thereabouts. So if you're somebody who wants power on all 4/5 rings at once I would opt for a hob that requires hard wiring by a qualified electrician. Any pans with a magnetic base work on induction.

LahLahsBigBand Sun 08-May-16 08:52:57

I had to but a new set of pans when I got an induction stovetop, it was galling to let go of my gorgeous copper bottomed pans because they didn't pass the magnet test angry. You can use a heat diffuser if you have a precious pot you want to keep but it's pretty inefficient. DH uses one for his Italian espresso pot and it does the job but I've given up on using it for anything else

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now