Talk

Advanced search

Decorating DD's bedroom. All suggestions welcome

(35 Posts)
Lubyloo Wed 18-Jun-08 21:47:16

DD is ready to move out of her cot and into a bed. We have never decorated her room as we only did it just before I found out I was pregnant. I want to make it really special for her. All her furniture is ivory and she has oak floorboards. Like all little girls she loves pink.I have already got pink gingham bedding for her but don't really want wall to wall pink. Any ideas what colours would look nice or should I just stick with magnolia?

Eddas Wed 18-Jun-08 21:54:30

my dd has purple walls and pink 'things' in her room. It's more of a pinky-purple but definately purple IYSWIMgrin I didn't want to OD on pink, everything's pink already without the walls joining in!

TBH i bought curtains I fell in love with and then matched the walls to those(they are pink based!)

Not sure that really helped TBHblush

dizzydixies Wed 18-Jun-08 21:56:43

we have 3 plain cream walls with some pics/mirror etc on them and one wall with a fantastic butterfly print wallpaper and it looks just lovely

not too pink but def girly and nice enough to grow up with smile

Lubyloo Wed 18-Jun-08 23:09:29

DD loves purple but think I like that less than pink! I'm not sure where she gets her love of all thinks pink/purple. I hated it even as a child! smile

I like the idea of butterfly print wallpaper. That sounds really pretty. She has a few butterfly things so it could tie in nicely. I'm not sure if DH will be so keen on the idea of wallpapering though!

dizzydixies Wed 18-Jun-08 23:14:45

tis the joy of only wallpapering ONE wall wink or I've seen some lovely butterfly stickers for bedrooms - will see if I can find a link

Jojay Wed 18-Jun-08 23:17:55

I think a soft greeny colour takes the sugaryness out of wall to wall pink - I only have a DS ATM, but before he was born we painted his room green, on the basis that it would work with pink for a girl too.

Lots of fabrics etc have flowers with green leaves and stems so it's easy to get things to match.

dizzydixies Wed 18-Jun-08 23:19:41

here

I LOVE these ones

more here

and these are lovely too

hope this gives you an idea of what I mean, I searched for the wallpaper I used in kids room but can't find it

it is by Liberty and they have a whole range I think called Flutterby but not sure

Lubyloo Thu 19-Jun-08 00:20:44

Thank you for the links Dizzy. I love the stickers and they should be an easy alternative to paper. I think they are the ideal solution.

Jojay-I really wanted a lovely soft sage green (tis my favourite colour) but DH has said no. We already have three rooms painted in this colour. smile

PortAndLemon Thu 19-Jun-08 00:55:02

What about something like this? (hmm, reading dizzy's post I suspect she may have suggested something similar)

PortAndLemon Thu 19-Jun-08 00:58:26

Oooh, I like the tree

dizzydixies Thu 19-Jun-08 06:48:01

welcome, am due dc3 in july and the spare (box) room is a very plain cream colour, if its another girl I don't have a problem putting her in with my two dds when she's a bit older and in her cot so I've just bought some stickers for the box room rather than redecorating it completely

it was only done last year so doesn't need it tbh

I think something very similar to PortandLemon's tree is what I've ended up because its unisex grin

Lubyloo Thu 19-Jun-08 20:08:30

Thanks for all the ideas. I would never have thought of stickers. Do they really come off as easily as they say?

I can't open the tree link PortandLemon sadNot sure why it's not working.

Belated congrats on your pregnancy Dizzy. Not long to go now. Hope you're feeling well.

dizzydixies Thu 19-Jun-08 20:33:37

thanks Lubyloo smile

we had humphrey's corner stickers in the nursery for first dd and they peeled off like a dream - no greasy mark or anything

RubyRioja Thu 19-Jun-08 20:40:10

I'll second fab stickers

PortBlacksandResident Thu 19-Jun-08 20:49:38

You can get strings of lights that are fairies / butterflies / flowers. Very pretty low level lighting.

EustaciaVye Thu 19-Jun-08 20:55:33

Next have some nice decor ranges. Here You could get bedding / curtains and use those as the inspiration for the rest of the room.

MrsBadger Thu 19-Jun-08 21:08:10

Vertbaudet have very good value butterfly stickers
[rummages]

here
in the new house I'll be putting these on a plain cream wall for dd. Habitat have a lovely butterfly voile panel thus too.

Lubyloo Thu 19-Jun-08 21:45:50

Loads of ideas - thank you everyone. I am a useless shopper and would never have come across all these things. Thanks for the Next link Eustacia (I only ever think of them for clothes!) There are some nice bits and I'm going to get a lamp and cushions from there I think.

Mrs Badger - that voile panel is very pretty. I think the theme is going to have to be butterflies. DD already has this so the butterflies will tie in.

EustaciaVye Thu 19-Jun-08 21:50:23

<<Eustacia preens having been helpful to someone>>

dizzydixies Thu 19-Jun-08 23:24:02

some really nice ones here

nappyaddict Thu 19-Jun-08 23:59:28

stencils might be better than stickers - stickers come off in less than 2 years and look horrible.

dizzydixies Fri 20-Jun-08 08:56:16

I think thats why I loved them because am so indecisive they CAN come off with ease - preparing a room for a baby who's sex is unknown is a completely different thing to preparing a room for a 2yr old boy/girl who by then may want some input!

nappyaddict Fri 20-Jun-08 09:18:37

ours lost their stickiness and when they started peeling off no matter how hard i pressed the wouldn't restick. would have been fine had i not wanted them to restick!!

dizzydixies Fri 20-Jun-08 09:20:19

lol, I must've been lucky then as the ones I got for the nursery 5yrs ago are still going strong, ok they're on the inside of the wardrobe doors now but they're fine smile

Turniphead1 Fri 20-Jun-08 09:41:58

Pale green on the walls is a lovely foil to the "too much pink" trap that we often fall into with little girls (myself inc.). Farrow and Ball do a lovely colour called Apple Green that goes well with most pale pinks. It would be lovely with the oak floor and white furniture. You could also hang some cotton pennants in pale green and pink which you can get at the White Company etc.

My DD DID want pink on the walls alas - so I did two walls Nevada Pink (from dulux) and the other two a neutral off white.

I am an interior designer and do a lot of children's rooms. It can be quite tricky.

Personally (and sorry to offend) but I find the pink/purple or mauve combo quite hideous.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now