Talk

Advanced search

house envy

(35 Posts)

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Boogalooblue Sat 29-Sep-07 19:07:17

can you type out the link then so we can copy and paste it?

I think that accepting that you cannot be like everyone else is a good start, I have a very good friend who lives in a house straight out of Homes and Gardens, it is gorgeous and I do get a bit envy when I go round there, but I am not willing/capable of putting in the hours it takes to keep the house in that look.

Each ot their own, just enjoy your own wink

mrsmerton Sat 29-Sep-07 19:08:43

I get house envy ALL the time. Especially when I am friends with someone who has just moved into a £3m mansion with a pool round the corner. But when she comes here, to my pokey semi, she always admires how I have done things in my house.

Lip service, maybe, but I bet yours isn't as bad as you think

Wotzknot Sat 29-Sep-07 19:11:40

It has put you in a tiss hasn't it? grin]

My house is lived in not like a glossy brochure! I know what you mean though, some like to keep it lookign like its ready for a photo shoot, in mine that is only going to happen when I come to sell it. Then I won't want to move out!

karabiner Sat 29-Sep-07 19:13:59

I get like this sometimes, then when I visit a new friend's house it sometimes spurs me on to do new things in our house to make it better - it never quite works out though!

As for doing things with little money - de-cluttering is the best bet and can make a huge difference so you could start by streamlining your books and cds ???

MaureenMLove Sat 29-Sep-07 19:16:26

You cold de-clutter and do a boot fair. That way you'd gain some space and some money to put towards new lights,if that what you think will do it. Lighting is very important I think, it can change the whole look of a room.

Wotzknot Sat 29-Sep-07 19:23:52

Use Freecycle and get rid of the clutter. Ebay for books and cds.

ImBarryScott Sat 29-Sep-07 19:25:23

I think just the sheer difference of other people's places makes us want a bit of what they've got, if only for a change. My sister lives in a huge rambling Victorian country pile, and I am forever cooing over her oak dining table or some such.

But when she visits my small compact and bijou city pad, she enthuses over our rather funky modern light fittings and modular furniture.

So I reckon whatever you do to your place, you'll still fancy other people's places, just 'cos they're different.

Wotzknot Sat 29-Sep-07 19:29:06

we have low energy bulbs and they give a very dim light

MaureenMLove Sat 29-Sep-07 19:39:03

Could you change the lampshades and maybe get brighter bulbs? Your house sounds lovely to me, btw.

newgirl Sat 29-Sep-07 19:43:41

def time for a clear out

clear the walls of shelves/pictures/wall lights (if you have) and paint them something like dulux light and space

add a mirror opposite the largest window to bounce some light around

put your cds on to an ipod or computer

put videos/books away in loft - they dont need to be 'displayed' - or sell them at car boot sale/give to oxfam

make sure youve got storage for toys/boots/pet things etc

replace pendants/uplighters with lots of spot lights in the ceiling - may have to pay a bit for this but it makes a great difference

that should brighten things up a bit

i say this as weve just moved and i havent bothered to unpack all the books/cds etc and we dont miss them at all!

MarsLady Sat 29-Sep-07 19:49:17

My house is smaller than my bf's house (and it's a decent sized house) and is nowhere near as tidy as hers. Her kitchen/open space diner/family room is one I would die for. Okay then..... sleep with Clive Owen for (whole other fantasy there). And I would love a cellar and her garden. Whenever she comes in (and steps over whatever devestation the DTs have left) and curls up on the couch she says.... "I wish my house was as warm and homelike as yours".

I feel my work is done! grin

jura Sat 29-Sep-07 19:50:28

jura Sat 29-Sep-07 19:50:55

MarsLady Sat 29-Sep-07 19:51:19

<<looks quickly over shoulder suspiciously>>

jura Sat 29-Sep-07 19:53:22

scattyspice Sat 29-Sep-07 19:55:42

MMJ - I too suffer from house envy. We live in a house like the article (tiny 2 bed bungalow) with 2 kids.
But my DH (always mr philosophical) says its like in Morocco (or somewhere) where houses are shabby and crowded but happy (or something).

I would love a 'perfect' house, but frankly don't wish to spend the time, money or energy required to achieve it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now