Talk

Advanced search

Embarassingly Shite Mattress in Spare Room: Mattress topper or new mattress?

(10 Posts)
ConnorTraceptive Fri 28-Sep-07 11:54:18

We only bought the mattress a few months ago but it was really cheapo (think tesco value blush) and it is really awful.

PIL are staying the weekend in october to look after ds while we are away and I just can't let them sleep on it and I know they won't sleep in our bed if we tell them to.

So will a mattress topper make a big difference to comfort? They are quite expensive and I don't want to waste money on something that isn't going to make a big difference- or shall we cut our losses and buy a nice new one?

dolally Fri 28-Sep-07 12:06:34

I presume you mean the mattress is too hard connor? I have a couple of mattresses in our house which are like sleeping on boards, I keep meaning to buy mattress toppers but am a little confused about them.
There are some v expensive ones but also cheaper foam pads---I don't know which is best.

So will be watching this thread for answers!!

I have put a washable old duvet (not feather)on one of my mattresses. It seems to help. You could try that in the interim???

ConnorTraceptive Fri 28-Sep-07 12:08:59

Actually it's not hard at all it's very squishy and you can feel EVERY single spring. Tis awful!

The duvet idea might be good as a tepoarary measure though

NomDePlume Fri 28-Sep-07 12:09:13

new mattress, imo.

mattress toppers are expensive (for a decent one), you may as well just spend the extra 25% and buy a proper mattress.

We have one from MFI in our spare room (and in the kids' rooms) they are firm (which we like) but very comfortable and decent quality. I'll have a look which ones they are and link

NomDePlume Fri 28-Sep-07 12:10:45

This is the one we have

mishymoo Fri 28-Sep-07 12:10:57

Not sure if this will help, but Ikea do those mattress pads but you have to make 100% sure that they will fit your bed.

this is what I mean

Surely, they are cheaper than buying a new mattress??

Or you could buy a really thick mattress protector? TBH, if they are only going to sleep in it a couple of nights, a mattress protector might be the answer.

Good luck.

NomDePlume Fri 28-Sep-07 12:11:17

and they are reduced, too grin

ConnorTraceptive Fri 28-Sep-07 12:16:54

I think it might be a new mattress then. TBH all the decent mattress toppers actually cost more than the matress itself blush I think we paid £69 blush blush blush

In my weak defence we had just moved house and were skinto and needed a quick fix to put up a friend for the night.

NomDePlume Fri 28-Sep-07 12:18:16

I deffo recommend the MFI/sLUMBERWOTSIT ONE

oOOPS

WendyWeber Fri 28-Sep-07 12:18:39

Lidl had mattresses yesterday - amazingly, I wonder where they put them???

The description sounded good, and Lidl's quality is usually OK. single was £70 and double £100. But they may have all gone (if every store got some even)

Details here (oh - it comes in a roll apparently)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now