Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

plumber & corner baths

(14 Posts)
mommajools Mon 24-Sep-07 19:25:25

Hi
Am having a new bathroom done and have ordered a corner bath complete with the plug and wast at one end and there is room either end for the taps.
My plumber has just fitted the bath and has put the taps at the opposite end of the plug - so plug and sticking overflow at one end and taps the other.
Is this normal?
How do you lie in the bath without sitting on the plg and having the overflow in your back?
Not had a corner bath before so any help appreciated before he comes back tomorrow.

mommajools Mon 24-Sep-07 19:57:36

anyone?

Flibbertyjibbet Mon 24-Sep-07 20:07:31

DP fits bathrooms so could ask him when he gets home, but I am interested to know, how are you planning to lie in a corner bath at all? I have never seen one that I could lie in and I am only 5'2".

mommajools Mon 24-Sep-07 20:16:25

Hi flibbertyjibbet

I am the smae height as you. I have only have had normal baths - sit at one end and taps and plug at the other.
I did get into the bath so sitting and half lying with knees bent facing the taps but have the overflow thing sticking in my back and sitting on plug.
Maybe I am doing it wrong?

I know these baths come with the holes for the plug and overflow in and the plumber drills holes either end for the taps so would be interested to hear what your husband says.
Cheers

Flibbertyjibbet Mon 24-Sep-07 20:23:31

Ok he is home now and I picked his brains as he was in the shower!
I didn't realise that corner baths have a sort of flat oblong bottom and the waste is at one end of this with the overflow above it. He said that baths don't come with tap holes made in any particular end, so your plumber will probably have made the holes.
In DPs expert opinion your plumber has just gone for the easy option of putting the taps at the easiest place for the existing plumbing. If this is the case, its easier to just add an extra bit on to the waste to take it under the bath, than to extend the pipework to taps at the other end of the bath.
Am I making sense? This is why I leave all the plumbing to him grin
He rolled his eyes and said that with some plumbers you have to think of things like that in advance (which you don't do cos you dont' know all the ins and outs of plumbing!!) and instruct them carefully.

Ouch to having a plug up your bum.

Flibbertyjibbet Mon 24-Sep-07 20:25:44

Just as I click to post he adds more information.
DP respectfully suggests that you buy an old fashioned bathmat and sit on that over the plughole wink

mommajools Mon 24-Sep-07 20:51:24

The plumbing is all new - no existing plumbing. I can see for water spillage when we have a shower in the bath the taps are at the best end as there will be 2 tiled walls and a screen to contain the water but to sit in the bath it is the plug and overflow that is the problem.
Yes you do have to think sometimes for workmen when it comes to the practicalities ...... I did not notice it until a few days after he done it - I tend to let them get on with it as I have no experience with plumbing.

Flibbertyjibbet Mon 24-Sep-07 21:17:43

Dp says that different manufacturers make baths with wastes in different places. Because he is the builder/plumber/kitchen and bathroom fitter with a 6 month waiting list, he would look at your bathroom and advise on the best bath to put your waste and taps at the same end.
Did you buy the bath yourself in which case he should have advised you on which ends things would be at, or was it supplied by the bathroom fitter in which case he has not gone the extra mile to fit the best bath for your bathroom and your comfort.
Of course you let them get on with it - otherwise we would all be fitting our own bathrooms and dp would be on the dole!

UCM Mon 24-Sep-07 21:24:04

Did he put the tap holes in or were they already there, silly question I know, but DH is asking me <<him being tiler/bathroom expert>>?

mommajools Mon 24-Sep-07 21:40:38

I bought the bath myself which had the holes for the waste at one end. The flat corners at each end are the same in size and room for taps. The plumber drilled the holes for taps at the other end. I looked at some online and this seems standard for corner baths and it says holes can be drilled either end for the taps.

Its just now looks uncomfortable - and i did sit in it - if you can imagine it you are lying back against the overflow - which sticks out and sitting on the plug facing the taps.

milliways Mon 24-Sep-07 21:47:32

We have a large corner bath that you can lie in. The plug IS at the tap end.

In our bath you look out the skylight at the stars......lovely!

Flibbertyjibbet Mon 24-Sep-07 22:02:08

Sounds like the plumber put the taps at the best end and as you had bought the bath he didn't think to comment on you needing to sit on a plug.
If its all fitted and tiled round there isn't a lot you can do without going to a lot of expense and extra work to pay the plumber for.
My bath is (a very expensive deep and wide one) that dp took out of someone's house when fitting a new suite, he put the taps in a different place and put sort of plastic plug things over the old tap holes which you can hardly see. But putting the taps in a different place on a bath thats tiled round etc,,,
If its not actually tiled round yet perhaps you could see if he can move the taps to the other end (not much you can do about the waste), my shower control and taps are outside the shower curtain area, we just stick a hand out to turn it on or off.

UCM Mon 24-Sep-07 22:19:26

Personally, I would say to him why did you do that and ask him to pay for a new bath with the taps where I wanted. It's easy for me to say that as my DH is a builder.

If he didn't ask, he is in the wrong, but to a point so were you as you didn't say.

You could wing it and say that you never discussed where the taps were going to go. Actually I am warming to the idea where you say, 'so I have to sit in the bath with the bits in my back' and stand back and listen to his explanation. Then refuse to pay him.

Flibbertyjibbet Mon 24-Sep-07 22:55:23

Yup that sounds good UCM.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now