Talk

Advanced search

help with chronic untidiness

(15 Posts)
unglued Mon 24-Sep-07 14:47:17

I've got a really severe problem with housework, doesn't matter what sort of systems or rotas I try or how many cleaners I get through we just live in a constant state of chaos. Nobody else gets this messy and the worst thing is people saying 'well if you are happy like that . . . ' I'm NOT.

Seriously thinking about getting a life coach or some sort of therapy for it, I do work and am a lone parent etc but so do/are plenty of other people and they seem to manage. I don't know if I am lazy, depressed, chronically mentally disordered or all 3.

numptysmummy Mon 24-Sep-07 14:48:20

Come and join us on the babysteps FLYing thingy. Day 1 today grin

unglued Mon 24-Sep-07 14:50:18

what is that?

numptysmummy Mon 24-Sep-07 14:54:14

It's a series of jobs to do and you add to your routine slowly so each thing becomes a habit before the next thing is added - shining your sink is todays task and you build from there. Look in goodhousekeeping babysteps new fliers.

unglued Mon 24-Sep-07 14:55:30

I found it thanks - well sink will obv have to wait until I am back home tonight, does this programme work around work iykwim?

numptysmummy Mon 24-Sep-07 15:01:30

Yep,no reason why not. Not about doing housework all day.

glitterchick Tue 25-Sep-07 19:31:58

unglued - I conplete know where you're coming from. I have same prob as you. The 'orgainsed/tidy' section of my brain is missing - not joking - its not there - was never born with it! I considered life coaching / counselling / hypnotherapy SOMETHING????? I have joined SAHMof1 and others on Flying (started yesterday) and I'm already behind. Unfortunately I don't have a solution because I am in the same boat as you - I can only sympathise sad. If you get inspired let me know!

EmsMum Tue 25-Sep-07 19:38:32

What on earth gives you the idea that nobody else gets this messy?!

My MILs neighbour has a placard up:

Only boring women have tidy houses.

Yeah, I know its not true but it cheers me up a bit.

EmsMum Tue 25-Sep-07 19:42:00

Actually, my solution is this... DH and I both work from home and while my co-workers are all safely in California so unlikely to drop in, occasionally DH has to have someone come to the 'office'. That motivates us both to a blitz. (part of what gets me down is that, not being lone, most of the crap is not mine and I don't quite understand why I seem to end up responsible for it)

trixymalixy Tue 25-Sep-07 20:26:09

I'm in exactly the same position asyou unlued.

Was thinking about finding out if you could hypnotherapy for chronic laziness.

i've joined the flybaby thread as well hoping it'll sort me out.

Cappuccino Tue 25-Sep-07 20:27:08

join us..

hermionegrangerat34 Sat 29-Sep-07 22:42:14

we throw a party every so often - have to tidy up then. Had one last weekend and the living room is still gorgeous (redecorated as well as tidying, whihc was going a bit far, but it is LUSH!) and haven't put any mess back in it.

ONly thing is, all the paperwork (unpaid bills etc) are still in the box they got thrown in which is now lost...

1dilemma Sat 29-Sep-07 22:57:44

I have this problem we have no space, no storage and too much stuff. (I have a ban on buying non-disposable items!)

shreddies Sat 29-Sep-07 23:01:49

Agree with 1dilemma. We have too much stuff too. It would be so much easier to keep the flat tidy if we were to chuck out all the stuff we don't need, and I'd love to do it, but I am by nature a bit of a hoarder and DH a complete "it might come in handy" type. We both drive me mad.

handlemecarefully Sat 29-Sep-07 23:05:29

I am an extremely organised person. My house was immaculate pre children. Frankly now it isn't.

It's not about being organised or disorganised it's about having children - especially little ones who are frenetic and never tire and leave a trail of destruction in their wake. Unless you are prepared to have no life at all (because you could be continuously occupied with picking up and tidying away) when you have 2 or more small children your house will be,at least, a little messy

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: