Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

all you domestic goddesses....please help...urgently

(17 Posts)
lucykatie Wed 12-Sep-07 12:14:21

hi, my husband and i have just opened new premises to run out business from, its looking great however, the premises has been locked up for 18 months, and that includes the toilets!!!

They stink!!

its a mixture of musty smell with old urine, the floor has pretty good lino on it and the walls are tiled.

i have cleaned the toilets and sink and floor....got air freshners etc but still smells.

i know i will need to do the tiles, currently i cant stand the smell, however tomorrow i am going to do it all.

so, do you guys have any tips, cleaning product ideas which will work a treat...theses toilets will be used by staff and customers...possibly.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pyjamagirl Wed 12-Sep-07 12:20:09

zorflora rose fragrence it smells gorgeous like turkish delight and walks i my house when there are 7 of us someones always on the loo

Lilliput Wed 12-Sep-07 12:21:23

The same thing happened to us when we took over our restaurant premises.
The answer for a really deep clean is a steam cleaner and elbow grease. It might be an idea to paint the ceiling of th loos that will help freshen them up.
Although the lino may be good urine may have got underneath it so check that, if it has you'll have to replace it. Good Luck!

lucykatie Wed 12-Sep-07 12:28:39

will get some flash and zorflora, if that works we are laughing, but like you say the lino may have to come up....men eh.

gonna have to be masked up tomorrow as the smell is awful....the men who have been using it over the past few days are saying that its not to bad....but it is!!

any ideas on a good air freshner....no plug in ones though.

totaleclipse Wed 12-Sep-07 12:31:43

Change the lino, and uses Jeyes fluid to give everything a good clean.

lucykatie Wed 12-Sep-07 12:33:17

i hate the smell of jeyes fluid.....reminds me of my childhood

glitterchick Wed 12-Sep-07 15:08:47

Get that Oust stuff. Ad says that doesnt mask the odour it gets rid of the odour! If it doesn't work ask for your money back. If I were you though I would get a set of clothes that I will never wear again and would slather a full bottle of Domestos (jumbo size, maybe 2 bottles) all over the floors, walls and ceilings. Guaranteed to get rid of stink.

totaleclipse Wed 12-Sep-07 19:48:49

I'm not keen on the smell of Jeyes fluid either, but its better than the smell of weegrin

bakedpotato Wed 12-Sep-07 19:50:53

I had a horrid untraceable smell in the sitting room. After googling 'horrid smell', I put out a saucer of vine vinegar and boof, smell was gone. Really odd.

bakedpotato Wed 12-Sep-07 19:51:09

wine vinegar even

jooleybee Wed 12-Sep-07 19:54:52

Hi all, used to run a pub and mens toilets always smelt of wee. I used to use neat flash spray, if you spray on and leave on tiles, toilets and even mop floor with neat flash it makes such a difference, obviously old stale smells maybe from lino will need treating differently, as previously suggested may need coming up an replacing.

jooleybee Wed 12-Sep-07 19:57:28

While we are on subject of smells, I have just moved into brand new house, my husband and i both smoke and try to do so (weather permitting) outside. I am using a lot of candles but the 'smell' i am having trouble with is cat food! I clean cats dish after every feed, but and I know i have a very sensitive nose, I can constantly smell cat food! any suggestions?

lucykatie Thu 13-Sep-07 07:48:41

i had this too at old house......i switched to total dry food, vet said it was fine and better for the teeth, does not smell as strong as wet food.

cats didnt touch it for a day or two but soon became hungry and ate it.

cluckychook Fri 14-Sep-07 15:27:24

Chef's candles from Lakeland are very good at getting rid of bad smells.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now