Talk

Advanced search

Where do I store raw meat in my fridge...cos I always thought it should be bottom shelf

(12 Posts)
SlightlyMadSweden Tue 11-Sep-07 18:58:36

Have just brough new fridge (with glass shelves). In he instructions it says I should store raw meat in top half...against what I have always believed.

I quote

Zone 1. (top 2 shelves)Ready cooked foods, convenience foods, fresh meat, could cuts (which I assume should be cold cuts hmm)
Zone 2. (bottom shelf) Dairy foods, foods in dishes.

Is this because top is colder? Is it because dripping blood isn't a problem with glass shelves....are the manufacturers insane?

southeastastra Tue 11-Sep-07 18:59:35

yes i do that too, but meat doesn't really drip blood now does it, (unless yours does!)

littlelapin Tue 11-Sep-07 19:01:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

chopster Tue 11-Sep-07 19:01:48

in mine the bottom is colder cos that is where the vent is from the freezer, but this is an american fridge. also with glass shelves. I used to work in catering and do the bottom shelf for dripping blood thing, I don't really think it matters, stick it where you want.

SenoraPostrophe Tue 11-Sep-07 19:01:54

the bottom is colder isn't it? I don't know why you should store dairy on the bottom.

chopster Tue 11-Sep-07 19:04:10

don't most fridges have a seperate shelf box for dairy? I have a cheese thingy.

Carmenere Tue 11-Sep-07 19:05:11

They are wrong, you are supposed to store fresh meat at the bottom of the fridge to minimise cross contamination from drips ect.

SlightlyMadSweden Tue 11-Sep-07 19:06:40

It is not a fridge frezzer - just a fridge, so the cooling plates are at the back (top)....DP is (was) a chef so I guess he will ridgedly stick to raw meat at bottom.

We buy meat from butchers - so yes it does sometimes drip blood and isn't vac packed. BUT we normally buy daily (except at weekend) so don't actually keep much raw meat in.

Tis a JL BTW. There are actually a few typos in the manuals for the 3 appliances that I had delivered today.

SlightlyMadSweden Tue 11-Sep-07 19:07:44

Yes it says cheese, yogurts and butter should do in dairy tray in door....but TBH I have way too many yoghurts to fit and I buy huge pots of butter that don't fit either

Niecie Tue 11-Sep-07 19:10:17

Normally I would put the meat at the bottom but our newish fridge has a compartment at the top for meat that is supposed to be colder and it has a little door and glass shelf. Not sure how that works though - I always thought that heat rises although 'heat' is relative term in a fridge.

littlelapin Tue 11-Sep-07 19:23:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SlightlyMadSweden Tue 11-Sep-07 19:28:40

Indeed...it does get good reviews.....we brought a fridge, freezer, DW trio. Just a little shock at teh typos.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now