Talk

Advanced search

Irrational hatred of Tupperware

(26 Posts)
mandms242 Mon 24-Feb-20 19:24:07

Can someone please, please, please share a good way to store Tupperware containers?

I currently have a big plastic box that I keep it all in, but it's just a big jumble and I can never find a complete tub and lid angry I've tried having a 'Tupperware cupboard' but that ends up in the same mess.

Help me with my first world problem please...

lazylinguist Mon 24-Feb-20 19:25:58

I find a (deep) tupperware drawer better than a cupboard, because stuff doesn't fall out when I rummage. I still fail to find matching boxes lids sometimes though. angry

TheSandman Mon 24-Feb-20 19:36:23

With the lids on? That's what I do.

AlCalavicci Mon 24-Feb-20 22:02:22

I use indelible markers to number mine , so all number 1 lids fit number 1 boxes . you have to rewrite the numbers every now and then but it make life a bit easier

mommybear1 Tue 25-Feb-20 15:13:15

I find if I store them with lids on and in size order they don't fall out at me when I open the cupboard door - however the reason they get in a mess is because some people -- yes DH I'm looking at you-- just shove them in when they are cleaned without lids and not in size order.

NotMeNoNo Tue 25-Feb-20 16:37:30

Pull out wire basket drawer in a cupboard. Also edit your boxes and ditch any that don't nest/stack neatly or have lost lids

Putthebinsoutalan Wed 26-Feb-20 09:01:01

If you've got a whole box full, they're not in use, so do you have too many? I recycle mine every few months and only replace if absolutely necessary.

5zeds Wed 26-Feb-20 09:03:44

Much easier in a deep drawer, lids on, and treated like other crockery (ie stacked neatly by type). Taken a year to retrain children/dp from previous hideous “system”. If you haven’t used any one box for months, get rid of it.

MrsHa Wed 26-Feb-20 09:30:41

We started again with ours, got rid of most of it and got new from ikea. They stack! makes it so much easier.

Barbararara Wed 26-Feb-20 09:56:49

I reduced mine to three sizes and I store them with lids on. They take up more space than with the lids off but I can reach in and have what I’m looking for, in my hand in a second without looking.
I very occasionally want one that I’ve got rid of but I’ll happily trade a short moment of irritation for the convenience I have now.

Vortek Wed 26-Feb-20 09:58:08

Do they not go fusty inside if you store with lids on?

5zeds Wed 26-Feb-20 11:11:45

That's what lead to my original chaotic lids and bottoms separately horror cupboard. I’m sure my Mum told me to have them open? Anyway so far they are fine shut and stacked like any other pot.

Vortek Wed 26-Feb-20 11:29:22

Yep, it was my mum who told me that. Same with vacuum flasks - so they all lose their lids too.

ZarkingBell Wed 26-Feb-20 11:39:12

I have mine in a deep draw. Lids are neatly to one side, corralled in a large box. I edited them recently and threw out broken/damaged/lidless/spare lids.

I never store them with the lids on, they stink unless you use them every week. I clearly have plenty!

ZarkingBell Wed 26-Feb-20 11:40:17

draw, draw? WTF? Please forgive me.
My Tupperware drawer is very orderly grin.

LolaSmiles Wed 26-Feb-20 11:42:56

I dislike how stained they get and also have a cupboard of chaos

What I really need are some nice glass storage containers.

TheSandman Wed 26-Feb-20 12:19:51

Not if they're dry.

I edited mine recently too. I was working in a kitchens for a visitors' centre where they made sandwiches, the fillings for which were bought in - apparently egg mayonnaise is cheaper to buy ready-made than make. Even when you buy Helmann's by the bucket. The fillings arrived in sturdy Tuppaware-like one litre snap-lid tubs most of which which would be dumped after being emptied - I put loads through their dishwasher and took them home. I have dozens and dozens of the buggers. All identical.

Makes stacking the freezer easier and less space wasting too. The older misc ones went into the workshop to contain all the screw nuts bolts etc. that jumble up when my back isn't looking.

Barbararara Wed 26-Feb-20 12:39:52

Mine are fully dried and in use every other day/every three days. I do sniff before using them though, so possibly I just have a very poor sense of smell.

CheddarGorgeous Wed 26-Feb-20 12:49:17

You need better Tupperware. Throw out all non matching stuff and get stackables. Look at my cupboard (Lakeland)

Orchardgreen Thu 27-Feb-20 03:51:16

This....

FiveShelties Sat 29-Feb-20 07:52:19

@Orchardgreen that is so truegrin

BuffaloCauliflower Sat 29-Feb-20 07:54:18

@CheddarGorgeous that is a truly beautiful sight.

BuffaloCauliflower Sat 29-Feb-20 07:55:06

Oh and all mine is stored with the lids on in a cupboard. More than half of its glass though.

mandms242 Sat 29-Feb-20 20:16:07

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. It seems the biggest vote goes to storing with lids on... my battle with this would be getting other people in the house to cooperate! Also, making sure containers are fully dry before being closed.

Very jealous of that Tupperware cupboard. Maybe a trip to Lakeland is needed tomorrow! grin

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 29-Feb-20 22:00:29

Ah , no Tupperware here . I have glass Lock'n'Lock (oven/microwave/freezer/dishwasher safe )

Only downside is you can't use for packed lunches etc but for food storage - excellent .

I have a plastic L'n'L which the dishwasher tablets are in.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »