Talk

Advanced search

cleaning a shower

(25 Posts)
comfypantsisme Sun 23-Feb-20 08:12:46

moving to a house that has a walk in glass screened shower. never had one before! How do I clean it and keep it nice. Its a hard water area by the way.

LemonRedwood Sun 23-Feb-20 08:18:26

I live in a very hard water area and the glass shower was white with limescale when we moved in. I cleaned it first with HG Scale Away, which is a miracle worker on tough scale, and now spray after showering with method's shower spray. It gets done with normal bathroom cleaner during a bathroom clean (which I'd like to say is weekly, but I'd be lying!) but doesn't need it that much because the method stuff is fantastic.

comfypantsisme Sun 23-Feb-20 11:35:39

excellent

Franticbutterfly Mon 24-Feb-20 23:08:12

Use a squeegee on it to remove the water after you’ve had a shower, then spray with the shower cleaner you have (Tesco’s leave and spray one is adequate and costs under a quid) and off you go. Once a week I spray with limelite leave for a few mins and scrub for a bit, followed by squeegee.

theneverendinglaundry Tue 25-Feb-20 13:14:10

I am far too lazy to use a squeegee so give the shower a spray with the method cleaner instead.

The astonish one also works well and is a third of the price of method (but doesn't smell as good).

fourquenelles Tue 25-Feb-20 15:15:23

This is an odd question I expect but...... when you clean the shower do you do it immediately after you have showered (therefore in the nudd)? If so how to you stop the chemicals getting on you/your feet?

I need stuff like this spelling out I am afraid grin

comfypantsisme Tue 25-Feb-20 16:08:39

surely next time you`re in the shower you are getting splashed with the leave on chemicals??? that sounds a bit yuk

Franticbutterfly Tue 25-Feb-20 17:07:33

I like to multitask and have been known to clean the shower when I’m in it on a weekend whilst my conditioner is doing its thing. During the week I just spray the stuff on the screen as I’m getting out. It doesn’t go on me. An alternative to chemicals would be a white vinegar spray (half water, half white vinegar) or stardrops sell one (I think I saw it in home bargains) for a pound.

theneverendinglaundry Wed 26-Feb-20 06:56:08

OP to be honest it's never crossed my mind, but I would assume it just gets washed down the plughole, rather than splashing you.

Method is non toxic so I dont suppose a bit of it diluted with water would do much harm.

PigletJohn Wed 26-Feb-20 14:49:26

Save up for a water softener.

Nothing else comes close.

MrsPelligrinoPetrichor Wed 26-Feb-20 15:05:32

I'm in a really hard water area and use cilit bang.

BookMeOnTheSudExpress Wed 26-Feb-20 15:08:29

Hard water area, I spray anti limescale while I have my shower. Wipe it off with a cloth. Try to do it at least 3-4 times a week.
Tbh, it's not the glass panels that end up minging but the fiddly bits where the doors open.

Astrabees Thu 27-Feb-20 15:11:00

I clean my shower all over - glass and tiles - with cream cleaner on a J cloth after each shower and hose it off with the shower head. it dries without marks or splodges and looks great. If my sons are home they tend to use my shower as it is bigger than the spare room one, i let them use daily shower spray as otherwise they would not clean it at all.

blackcat86 Thu 27-Feb-20 15:14:56

I use wilko 'doesn't cost the earth' bathroom cleaner and a microfiber cloth. I wipe and scrub the shower, spray a bit more, leave and wash down.

mommybear1 Thu 27-Feb-20 17:40:29

Hard water area, glass screens (stupid in hindsight 🙄) squeegeeing every day and a spray of vikal once a week and a wipe down with a dry cloth works 👍🏻

ploppityplop Wed 11-Mar-20 10:18:20

I`ve been using the tesco spray n go after showering. so far so good. Then a proper clean once a week.

sqirrelfriends Wed 11-Mar-20 11:56:32

Method bathroom cleaner is brilliant. I used to use limes ale remover but it really doesn't need it.

My routine on a Saturday morning is to spray the bathroom, clean toilet and sink and then hop into shower and clean it while I'm in there, far easier than doing it outside the bath and getting water everywhere.

Unusualllly Wed 11-Mar-20 21:24:04

How do you clean the door runners and the upright rubber bits where door bends? Mine gone black and don't want to replace shower door. Cheers

Franticbutterfly Wed 11-Mar-20 22:24:41

My husband takes the doors off every few months so I can clean the runners etc.

Unusualllly Thu 12-Mar-20 06:44:25

I'll need to figure out how to get door off then I guess...confused

Oblomov20 Thu 12-Mar-20 07:16:19

Watching with interest. We have a water softener. I do nothing to it, no squeegee, no daily spray, no nothing! blush

UnionistMum Wed 18-Mar-20 00:41:10

Deep clean with viakal first then maintain with One part white vinegar two parts water in spray bottle.
Leave for 1min and wipe clean with cloth.
I just leave bottle in bathroom and use it as a
I finish shower. Quick, effective and non toxic

UnionistMum Wed 18-Mar-20 00:52:29

@Unusualllly,
door runners -one spray viakal/any limescale remover and small toothbrush to reach hard to get area then wipe.
-upright rubber bits where door bends- are they removable? If so place, in bucket of water with bleach. The black bits are just mould and the bleach would kill it.
If you can’t remove just wipe with cloth with bleach.
Let me know if it works. I usually remove the bottom plastic bit and leave it in a bucket with beach and works wonders.
I just love a clean shower !

UsernameUnknownn Wed 18-Mar-20 01:14:17

When you're out the shower squeegee the glass every time.
Once the water marks start to appear and don't come off use a bit of viakal. I'd be careful where it drips down to though as has a tendency to leave grout or plastic blue.
Then I go over it with water and use the e cloth for cleaning windows.

Unusualllly Wed 18-Mar-20 06:58:48

Rubber bits not removable, bleach great on the edges though

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »