Talk

Advanced search

Environmentally friendly cleaning products

(10 Posts)
Lottiebugz22 Sat 22-Feb-20 17:01:54

I'm trying to be more eco friendly.
Can anyone recommend some products to use for cleaning? Basic cleaning.

pontiouspilates Sat 22-Feb-20 17:03:05

I really rate SMOL for dishwasher tabs and laundry capsules. I also like Koh for cleaning around the house.

imip Sun 23-Feb-20 17:24:36

I pretty much use method for everything. I prefer the smell. I do also use Ecovee if it is much cheaperZ sometimes I use vinegar and baking soda also. I’ve used eco products for about 25 years. They are so much easier to buy now.

imip Sun 23-Feb-20 17:25:33

Oh, and microfibre clothes. I don’t use eco dishwashing products as they just never seem to really work. I did persist for years though.

theneverendinglaundry Sun 23-Feb-20 19:25:48

I find eco dishwasher tablets just way too expensive (apart from the wilko ones, but my local store never has them) so I opt for ocado own brand as they are at least plastic free.

Wilko own brand is very good and reasonably priced. Method and ecover also good, and you can usually find them on offer somewhere! Method does seem a bit pricey but the bottles are huge and last ages.

mencken Mon 24-Feb-20 18:27:10

just less of everything. No fabric conditioner, pointless waste.

do watch the greenwash on these products - you can often get just as 'eco' for much less from products not marketed as such. And laundry capsules still use more plastic than liquid in a bottle.

IToldYouIWasFreaky Tue 25-Feb-20 14:30:17

I've bought a couple of the Ocean Drops products. They are concentrated pods which you add to a bottle of water. You can re-use old bottles and they are totally plastic free, and the product itself is environmentally friendly.
I've only used the anti-bac spray so far but it's working well. You can get them on Amazon for about £1.50 each so very cost effective too (they are available on places other than Amazon...I was just trying to avoid P&P as I was only buying a couple! blush)

IToldYouIWasFreaky Tue 25-Feb-20 14:31:30

I knew I'd get the name wrong! They are Ocean Saver pods...amazon link

woodencoffeetable Tue 25-Feb-20 14:37:33

yes to less of everything.
a bucket of soapy water (washing ip liquid, laundry powder or grated bar soap) & rag/cloth works well for cleaning almost any surface.

firstimemamma Tue 25-Feb-20 14:44:23

Worth looking at splosh op.

splosh.com

They do bottles that you can order refills for. I use them for washing up liquid, shower gel, kitchen & bathroom cleaners and a few other bits.

Other things I use / do:
-Diluted vinegar with some lemon juice for surfaces and glass.
- there is a refill / plastic-free shop near me that I use for certain food, fabric softener & other bits. I also bought stuff from there like eco-friendly scrubbing brushes etc. Is there a similar shop in your area?
-I use dish cloths instead of washing up sponges and cleaning cloths made of bamboo instead of microfibre (which is plastic).
- an obvious one but I don't use disposable cleaning wipes. I've also cut waste by not using kitchen roll.
- I hardly ever use bleach.

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »