Talk

Advanced search

Do you have a dresser in your kitchen? If so, what do you keep in it?

(21 Posts)
Fireflyfairy2 Sat 01-Sep-07 11:32:46

My sister is putting in a new kitchen & when looking at plans etc, her dh suggested a dresser.

She screwed up her nose & said "EEw, no, fff2 & XXX (other sister) have them in their kitchen & they are full of shit!"

I was there when she said this hmm And all I could think of saying was "Well, mine is great for things that have no home" blush

But when I told XXX this she was offended.. she keeps her running trophies in hers, and the kids school photos.

I keep odd cups in mine, pens, those decorative bottles of oil with chillis in them... oh and candles, cotton wool, cook books, nail polish remover blush

I have it emptied at the minute & am being quite ruthless as to what stays & what goes!

I also have a wine rack in the middle of mine.. should there actually be wine in that?

cece Sat 01-Sep-07 11:42:22

Mine has our best cutlery and crockery in it plus lots of empty boxes (from cameras etc) plus some electrical items and various wires and anything that can't find a home elsewhere blush

Really need to sort it out - but they do collect crap on the top. Mine is piled high from when we clear the table to eat every day and the stuff gets dumped onto the dresser...

Fireflyfairy2 Sat 01-Sep-07 11:51:56

yes! My fruit bowl is always on top of my dresser. And my car keys, and the post that has just arrived or has been read & not put anywhere!

Thank goodness it's not just me blush

cece Sat 01-Sep-07 11:54:55

But I couldn't be without it even though it rarely looks tidy...

MaryAnnSingleton Sat 01-Sep-07 11:55:57

we have a lovely old one which used to live in the kitchen in our old house but is now in our dining room here - it has plates and cups and saucers on it (which we rarely use), ornaments, cards, photos, pencils,a bowl of champagne corks, post it notes, cds,paint charts,box of tissues etc and in the drawers old cards, bits of paper, tools, proper silver cutlery, and instructions for things like cooker/w maqchine etc - in other words, it is probably full of crap - but where else would it all go and besides it looks really nice !

Fireflyfairy2 Sat 01-Sep-07 11:59:09

Ours has 3 cupboards & 3 drawers plus the 2 glass cupboards for displaying cups/glasses whatever.

In one of the glass cupboards I now have the peaches & cream that people bought me for wedding presents & in the other I have the oil bottles & the cups we bought from Disney in July.

I have also taken off all the photos & stuck them on the cork board behind the kitchen door.

It's very noticable, though I think that amy be because I washed the glass doors!!

Blossomhill Sat 01-Sep-07 12:01:21

Mine is full of paperwork and rubbish. Dumping ground in my house!

Fireflyfairy2 Sat 01-Sep-07 12:26:08

Well, my 3 drawers are still full of letters etc as I can't throw anything out without dh seeing it incase he needs to keep it!

I made the mictake of once throwing out a bank statement the month we got married (ie: the first time we had lived together) and as he is self employed he was then looked over by Inland Revenue, who thought there was something dodgy that month as we hadn't got the statement & the bank's system couldn't get it either as the mesh had been damaged somehow hmm

So now I keep everything until dh decides he doesn't need it!!

MaureenMLove Sat 01-Sep-07 12:28:43

Mines got all my posh china displayed on the shelves at the top and oven to table ware in the bottom cupboards.

TheDuchessOfNorksBride Sat 01-Sep-07 12:38:35

Our dresser is built into the wall so it would be a major job to get rid of it. It's about 150yo and is quite big.

Top shelves are for china (2 sets), mugs on top hooks, keys etc on bottom hooks, odd cut-glass jugs and a few pieces of ancient bone china left over from great-granny.

The 'work top' level has kettle, biscuit tin, fruit bowls, scales, breadmaker, mobile phone charger, laptop and usually some books.

The cupboards underneath have tupperware (hurrah!), pizza plates, cake boxes/stands, preserving pans, jars, extra mugs, ramekins, mixing bowls, etc, etc. The end cupboard is where I keep kitchen rolls, tissues, bags & vases.

So basically I use mine as a worktop and row of cupboards. <that was a biiiig post. Sorry!>

TheDuchessOfNorksBride Sat 01-Sep-07 12:39:24

Oh my! I forgot the drawers. One for cutlery, one for utensils and one for crap!

random Sat 01-Sep-07 12:44:27

Mines got photos ..various weird clay animals that the dcs have made over the years.. a fruit bowl thats full of crap..my dp dumps all his very important rubbish on there too.. oh and lots of dust grin

Fireflyfairy2 Sat 01-Sep-07 13:05:17

In my bottom cupboards I have oven baking trays & oils for the stir fry etc.. in the other 2 I have my crockery for every day use.

So, do any of you have wine racks with no wine in them?

I kin of like it empty incase the local priest calls..... or a tee totaller hmm

Anyway, I don't look at my wine... I tend to drink it grin

fillyjonk Sat 01-Sep-07 13:20:35

We have a smallish secondhand one and we keep the kids stuff in it, cooking stuff, etc.

We also have a small table for them to have breakfast at and cook at and so because the dresser is in there they can get the stuff out themselves.

It has photos and stuff on the upper shelves.

scienceteacher Sat 01-Sep-07 13:22:46

I had one in my last kitchen.

I used the shelves for recipe books, and anything that is display material. The countertop bit was for the fruitbowl; the drawer was much bigger than my fitted drawers, so I used that for bulkier utensils and gadgets. The cupboards were for various serving dishes and bakewear.

KerryMum Sat 01-Sep-07 13:25:40

Is this the same thing as a sideboard?

scienceteacher Sat 01-Sep-07 13:26:17

Sideboard with a shelf unit on top - like a Welsh Dresser

KerryMum Sat 01-Sep-07 13:27:33

I'd LOVE one of those!

I just have the sideboard. Couldn't afford the top part as well.

grouchyoscar Sat 01-Sep-07 13:36:32

Keep

Cups and saucers and glasses
Cook books, ornamental kichen stuff and mugs
Plates and bowls

in the top behind glass doors

And

Large Cook books cutlry and gadgets
Storage boxes and tupperware

Behing solid doors in the bottom half.

KerryMum Sat 01-Sep-07 13:38:36

In my sideboard drawers - papers, address books, leads, crap.

In cupboards - board games, boxes of instructions for various thingies, photo albums

grouchyoscar Sat 01-Sep-07 13:50:12

LOL Kerrymum...Read leads as in stuff for making stained glass with... Thought you were an amazing crafty type...Ah, you mean cable type thingys that electricity travels down <<doh! emotico>>.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now