Talk

Advanced search

Fledglings flying into the Roaring Twenties! January 2020 Flylady thread, all welcome.

(854 Posts)
LaneBoy Tue 31-Dec-19 22:15:37

Welcome to the first Flylady thread of the decade! This is a friendly ongoing thread where we follow (loosely. In some cases, very loosely. blush) the Flylady method for sorting out our homes and lives!

Newbies are always welcome here! It’s a long running thread so please don’t worry if we appear cliquey. There’s a lot of chatter and support for all sorts of things, alongside the housework stuff.

Over recent months we have agreed that big lists of daily links aren’t necessary - on a daily basis I will post (if I remember... it is maybe 18 months since I last hosted so please forgive any screw ups blush) a link to the launch pad, which is where you can access the information for that day - babysteps, missions, daily focus etc. But if you’re confused about anything, please ask!

Check out the website too - but we suggest not signing up for the millions of emails.

Information on getting started here.

The great thing about Flylady is that you jump in where you are. Everything you do is progress. Don’t worry about not “keeping up”. Any achievement, however small, means progress.

Anyway, huge thank you to Stressy for running our very busy December thread! thanks

And... HAPPY NEW YEAR FLEDGLINGS!!!

ExpletiveDelighted Tue 31-Dec-19 22:47:58

Thank you Lane, Happy New Year!

Tinselette1940 Tue 31-Dec-19 23:57:22

Thank you Lane - will name change to Lisette asap

Stilllivinginazoo Wed 01-Jan-20 00:26:46

Hi guys!happy new year!
Zoolets manage not kill each other playing board games.jumanji was fun,followed by lexicon and rummy til midnight.ds complained about the waste money and air pollution if the London firework display on TV,til dd2 told him cheer the fuck up<funtimes>
Lil zoo and D's gone bed,dd2 awake and anxious so we sitting watching uncle buck on TV for a bit

THAT90sBITCH Wed 01-Jan-20 07:36:18

Happy new year 🎊🎉🎇🎆🍾🥳

New year. New name!

Up since 7am with Dc4, all other dc still sleeping. Need to finish the reading so i can finish the essay. Kitchen is a tip.

Welcome to 2020!

KTCluck Wed 01-Jan-20 07:46:08

Happy New Year fledglings! Thanks for.the new thread lane

We stayed up to see.the new year in, but I've woken feeling fresh and raring to go. Will have half an hour chill with DD before waking DH and attempting my first run in a while.

Plans today
Upstairs home bleurgh
Missions from Monday to today
I'm going to do another declutter this January and will start with the drawers on the landing. Shouldn't take more than 15 minutes - they were done a year ago but the odd bit of crap has found its way in.
Dates in new diary
Finances check
Write targets for the year
Weigh myself shock

Stilllivinginazoo Wed 01-Jan-20 07:55:28

Morning! Mlthat or bitch?grin
Ktodd bits crap quickly find their way to anywhere I organise.a year to get a few is pretty good if you ask me!

Went bed 130 having day dd2 a while before settling
,need put games etc away

We have New year's Day traditional early morning walk(830/9) as local nature reserve has in past been very busy joggers men clearly very unfit and hung over looking rough and giving the super friendly cheery dogwalkers(they're a fab bunch that will clear up extra dog poo,help find missing pets/children etc) bemused looks<as in who on earth walks a dog this time of day/would choose to be up and out this early new year's Day>
<Realised I need get out more>

HungryHazelEyes Wed 01-Jan-20 07:56:15

Thank you TooStressy for December thread, it's such a busy month but you kept up on it like a pro!

Thank you lane for the new January thread. I'm excited to get into more of a routine with fly lady and decluttering my house properly.

Happy New Year to everyone, almost 1am here so in bed, about to go to sleep. Hoping to get my Christmas decs put away and thoroughly clean the house, decluttering as I go. glitterballwine

THAT90sBITCH Wed 01-Jan-20 08:07:22

Oh i hadn't thought of nickname potential! Hmmm.

I wish i could get rid of the corpse of christmas today but i need to do the bloody essay 🌲

Bowerbird5 Wed 01-Jan-20 08:44:48

Happy New Year fledglings.

Thank you for the new thread Lane.

Shannaratiger Wed 01-Jan-20 08:54:18

Happy New Year Fledlings

Thanks TooStressy for December thread and Lana for this January's.

Hope 2020 is a great year for everyone.

MogTheSleepyCat Wed 01-Jan-20 09:03:39

< waves to Zoo Stressy and Bower > Sorry I don't recognise the other names.

Its been a while since I was on a fly lady thread, but hear goes again!

Apparently doing washing on new year's day is not advised - something about washing away good luck... Thats my excuse anyway. I do however have about six heaps of laundry that needs to folded and put away. That is todays job.

BBL

THAT90sBITCH Wed 01-Jan-20 09:54:53

Washer is on here
I am a rebel

Welcome back mog i have no idea what name i was under last time you were here!

Tinselette1940 Wed 01-Jan-20 09:56:56

I can't get into my Account to change my name. Nevermind

Happy New Year to all including lurkers and old friends. It is zone 1 for this part of the week (at beginning and end of month we sometimes straddle zones). I don't do the dining room because it's attached to my living room so just downstairs cloakroom, hall and stairs. I am about to watch the New Year concert from Vienna in my pyjamas. Ds (10) is not up yet having stayed up last night.

ExpletiveDelighted Wed 01-Jan-20 09:57:04

I only found out about the washing on NYD thing here a couple of years ago, probably going to ignore it again.

THAT90sBITCH Wed 01-Jan-20 10:20:15

Dc1 and 2 still sleeping here

I found out about the washing thing on here too. I do wonder if zoo made it up as fancied a day off hmm 🧺

ExpletiveDelighted Wed 01-Jan-20 10:22:43

I've been lying in bed reading but DH has cooked bacon which is stinking the house out (open plan and I hate cooking smells) so I'm off out for a bit.

IWillWearTheGreenWillow Wed 01-Jan-20 10:33:50

Thank you Stressy for the December thread and Lane for this new one. Big wing flaps all round.

Frightened myself into a heap with possible NY resolutions last night, but feeling good this morning. Have written a huge 2020 brain dump list of Stuff To Do and had a lovely early morning chat with DS2 (who came in at 3am but couldn't sleep so was still about when I woke up at 8am).

Plan for today is gentle flying and planning for the NY, including a long chat with DH about how we want this year to look. Hopefully, while walking the dog.

tellmewhenthespaceshiplandscoz Wed 01-Jan-20 10:41:14

Morning all, can I join? And roughly what do we do?

I'm just back from my first run of the N Year (even though I felt knackered I took it easy and actually enjoyed it, saw lots of walkers, runners, dog walkers and everyone exchanged New Years greetings, it was fab!). Just had some breakfast and on 2nd cuppa whilst mumsnetting. DD and DH have poppednto the cinema so I'm enjoying the first bit of quiet in the house since before Christmas grin

I'm intending to write a list of all my Big Chores later, things like hoovering behind furniture, de cluttering cupboards. I'm then going to pick one to do today and put the rest in my diary for Jan.

Have I got the right idea? grin

ChicCroissant Wed 01-Jan-20 11:02:15

Welcome spaceship and happy new year to everyone! Just booking my place for 2020.

Stilllivinginazoo Wed 01-Jan-20 11:30:35

spaceship welcome

Good to see so many old friends returning to fledgers nestsmile

I've if I was going to make up excuses for a rest I'd have opted washing up/clearing up over washing.least that's a lob it in ,machine does work then I pull out and repeat in dryer.bloody hate washing up<no room for dishwasher>maybe I should make that upgrin

Then again the fallout would be epic within couple days..
Best to just plod on!

Brisk 90 minutes walk over local nature reserve,girls on bikes.mw,D's and dp on foot.on two hours sleep I've no idea who I am now...

Lunch is cooking(braised beef with carrots, parsnipsanyway) roast potatoes and sprouts on later.for dd2 roast potatoes, sprouts,carrots, parsnips and peppers with pesto and butterbeans

Go look at zones etc and start try do them this year I think.once a month I can chip away at each area..

LaneBoy Wed 01-Jan-20 12:36:31

Morning everyone, hope anyone who partied last night isn’t too hungover. The most exciting it got for me was a slice of cake and a giant sudoku. #wild

I did write my journal before watching the fireworks though. I usually end each entry with one thing I’m thankful for from the day and one thing I’m proud of from that day, but yesterday I wrote a whole list from the year for both - it was really nice to end the (mostly incredibly shit) year on a positive and realise I’ve done some good things and that I have a lot to be grateful for too. smile

Welcome spaceship we are very varied in terms of how much we actually follow Flylady here. I am not the best example blush. Often we post not just to do lists, but “ta da” lists - those are lists of what we HAVE achieved because that gives us a boost.

You could try the babysteps - the first one “shining your sink” is also our “habit of the month” which is useful.

Here’s the launch pad smile

Strategicchoring Wed 01-Jan-20 12:46:11

Hello and happy new year to all fledglings new and old!

[SC here with boring new NN.)

Thank you Laneboy for shiny new thread! 😇💐🎆

And thank you again for fantastic December thread Toostressy 🏆💐🎆

Both of you are heroes to take on thread-running at such busy times of the year! halo halo

A warm welcome to Spaceship and great to see you back Mog!

Hope essay goes ok That90sbitch!

We are ailing a bit. My knees and hip and ankles hurt like hell from running up and downstairs so much (creaky) and dh is going down with flu/cold. DD has been for a run and is now doing some felting with a very stabby needle. We all need to do something constructive but feel too whacked out. Might start by making leek soup. There again ... not sure I can face looking at at a kitchen implement for a little while yet!

Sorry, that wasn't very cheery. fblush.

On a positive note: it's beautifully sunny and bright and the furries are much calmer now all the visitors have gone and we can lavish more attention on them. fsmile.

Mahoosive waves to everyone!

Strategicchoring Wed 01-Jan-20 12:57:44

X post Laneboy well done on all your achievements during 2019 despite some tough ongoing challenges flowers

I have just realised that I have given DD the huge black page a day journal that I ordered for myself (and she's already written in it) and I have the Little Prince moleskin one that I ordered for her! Oh dear! Another consequence of wrapping at the last minute and in the early hrs!

Spaceship : I agree with Laneboy that baby-steps are a good place to start to get your routines going. Also, if you go to the Flylady home page and click on "getting started" that will provide more info. Sorry not to link directly; on ancient tablet thing! Don't worry if you don't understand the entire system yet before you start. It will become clear as you go along! Good luck!

Tinselette1940 Wed 01-Jan-20 13:38:55

spaceship welcome to you (and other lurkers). The beauty of flylady is that you are never behind - you just jump in and clean whatever zone is due that week. And there are morning and evening routines. I am taking today off and am about to hit the sparkling wine. But tomorrow the decorations come down (sob) and I'll clean zone 1.

loving all the name changes.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »