Talk

Advanced search

Washing machine dramas....

(27 Posts)
lulurose Sun 26-Aug-07 21:43:32

Not very exciting but our newish hotpoint washer drier has broken down for the 2nd time in 6 months. I believe hotpoint are owned by indesit now. Has anyone had any experience of their customer services because I have found them rude and really unhelpful. We are having to wait for 8 days for a service engineer and then a further wait until parts are found and could be fitted....

In the meantime i'm spending tonnes at the launderette and am taking bags of stuff round to friends houses...

Any other poor experiences with hotpoint bcause am going to follow this through this time...am so angry.

Any washer/drier reccomendations as if it breaks down again think we will replace...

TIA

PigeonPie Sun 26-Aug-07 21:59:18

My sister and I have both got Hotpoints atm. I don't think my sis will be replacing hers with the same make as she had a great deal of hassle when hers broke down. They didn't even bring the parts needed at the first callout despite her saying exactly what had gone wrong. We bought a new Aqualtis (just washer) about 6 months ago and it's satisactory, but I think I'd go for a Miele next time - seem much more reliable and wash better.

Washersaurus Sun 26-Aug-07 21:59:57

I'm sure I saw another thread about problems with Hotpoint a while ago.

I recommend that you don't buy a Hoover (owned by Candy now I think) as we have had the same problems as you have with your Hotpoint (now on 2nd machine after I demanded a replacement, which has been repaired twice already).

I was in tears on the phone to customer service the one day explaining that I was 7 months pregnant and had been heaving buckets of dirty nappies to the laundrette and back for weeks because of the faulty machine...she said it wasn't her problem and hung up on me angry

hmm Maybe all washing machines are crap unless you can afford a Bosch..which I can't envy

I would get in touch with the shop you purchased it from and ask for a replacement - you are perfectly entitled to do so..I would also write a letter of complaint to Hotpoint detailing the problems you have experienced, you never know they may offer you some compensation? I find a mention of the Sale of Goods Act usually does the trick wink

paddingtonbear1 Sun 26-Aug-07 22:01:14

Not much help I'm afraid, but I did have a hotpoint washer/drier a good few years ago which was a PITA. We had it repaired about 3-4 times in 2 years. I did buy one of those extended warranties which I'd never do now, but I was glad of it then! In the end I left the thing at ex-bf's house. Had an Indesit since which was OK for the money. Now got a Bosch which seems great so far, no probs at all!

paddingtonbear1 Sun 26-Aug-07 22:03:23

I would second, don't buy a Hoover either. My mum did and had loads of problems with it!

lulurose Sun 26-Aug-07 22:05:08

Thanks, when we asked about a replacement they said they had the right to repair but maybe I should have been more forceful. Up to now we've only dealt directly with Hotpoint and not Currys where we bought it. Even the hotpoint engineer who came out the first time said he wouldn't buy a hotpoint and had a bosch!

pobletsmum Sun 26-Aug-07 22:10:06

I've got a high spec Bosch washing machine & hate it. I would have AEG again as have had 2 before and they've been great - excellent results and never broke down once. I was very sad to leave them in houses when we've moved and people moving in wanted to keep appliances. My mother has a Miele that's been going for around 18 years (including pet hair, horse rugs etc.) and it just goes on and on... They are not made to the same standards now but are still regarded as the best. They are horrendously expensive though. I can't speak for washer-dryers but my experience leads me to recommend AEG, or John Lewis own brand machines, which are essentially AEG machines with a different badge, so I have been led to believe.

pobletsmum Sun 26-Aug-07 22:11:46

Oh and add me to the list of people saying don't buy hoover. After 2 weeks of problems (from brand new), the company agreed to take the Hoover machine back and sell us an AEG. Huge difference!

lulurose Sun 26-Aug-07 22:13:48

How much is horrendous...the hotpoint one we've got was at the top end and was around £600/700 which I thought was quite alot but I must admit we didn't do much research...

Washersaurus Sun 26-Aug-07 22:14:44

Your statutory rights relate to the contract between you and Currys so I would contact them and see what they say. The manufacturer only has an obligation to repair - as I found out with my Hoover experience..grrrr angry

Hoover tried to offer me money to keep the first faulty machine which I refused - when they arranged to have it collected from me the man taking it away told me it would be going straight to scrap!!!

lulurose Sun 26-Aug-07 22:31:11

Thanks, I hey twill ring Currys and see what they say

pobletsmum Sun 26-Aug-07 22:37:04

lulurose - just searched john Lewis website. Found 1 washer-dryer by Miele at £999(!!!) but they have an AEG one for £479. I buy appliances from JL (the shop, not online) whenever possible because they give extra guarantees and excellent customer service/after sales service.

Tinker Sun 26-Aug-07 22:39:48

Bosch aren't that dear. Just get a cheaper model of either Bosch/Miele/AEG.

Tinker Sun 26-Aug-07 22:41:17

Can get them from £250.99

meandmy Sun 26-Aug-07 22:41:52

i got and indeset and love it have had my drier bit seen to, but indeset have parts garentee for five years so if youve not got insurance it it should just be labour costs

MrsSpoon Sun 26-Aug-07 22:45:51

Another vote for Miele, we've had ours for 8 1/2 years now with no problems at all, you can buy a basic Miele washer from around £500 and Bosch as Tinker says from around £250, only thing I would say is that my Mum has Bosch, had it about 5 years and has had it repaired several times (although each time it has been something minor).

pobletsmum Sun 26-Aug-07 22:48:01

Be a bit careful though cos modern Bosch machines very a lot in quality. The worst are made in Eastern Europe (cheapest models), better ones in Spain (intermediate models) and only the top models are still made in Germany, according to the very helpful man I spoke to in the shop. That said, we bought a top model and I hate it. It's noisy, we had to have the touch pad changed in the first month, there are always socks getting stuck in the door and it doesn't even wash that well. It seems almost a bit too gentle e.g. if I put a pair of trousers in the wash with a tissue in the pocket, the tissue ends up loose in the drum, but comes out whole not shredded. DS' food stains won't come out even on stains ++ setting with vanish, where they used to come out in a normal 40degree wash with vanish in my old AEG machine. I miss my old washing machine sad - how pathetic is that!

MrsSpoon Sun 26-Aug-07 22:49:11

Miele Washer Dryer Enter DISC08 at the checkout and this is discounted to £774.

Tinker Sun 26-Aug-07 22:50:45

Hmm, my Bosch is cleaning as well as it should (still prefer to my old Indeshit though). But, pulled teh drawer out today and it was clogged up with old powder and conditioner and all mildewy. Guess my washing machince looking after skills are, ahem, lacking.

Tinker Sun 26-Aug-07 22:51:04

isn't

MrsSpoon Sun 26-Aug-07 22:52:07

This site has good prices for Miele washing machines but I can't see any washer dryers on it.

pobletsmum Sun 26-Aug-07 22:52:43

I've just remembered the reason we ruled out Miele machines, apart from the cost - the weight of washing they take is smaller than other makes. We always have a full machine, so we ruled it out, but if that's not important to you lulurose, I guess it's a great machine. They are very well rated by most people, and that seems a very good price MrsSpoon smile

pobletsmum Sun 26-Aug-07 22:53:55

lol Tinker - my drawer is the same!

MrsSpoon Sun 26-Aug-07 22:54:34

That is true pobletsmum they don't take a big load, I just wash constantly and overload it often blush.

fiddlemama Sun 26-Aug-07 22:54:52

Got 4 year old Hotpoint with extended warranty.

Broke down for first time on Wednesday night - wouldn't drain or spin.

'Phoned Thursday morning and repair man arrived at 2pm.smile

Found in machine: 1 x 50p, 1 x 2p, (DH's pockets) 1 x interchangeable screw driver head - bent (DS's pocket) several hair bobbles and 2 x hair clips ( DD2's school skirt pockets) and a length of black wire (WTF?!)

Had to pay an extra £24.99 as fault had been caused by my negligence.

Wrote out cheque and couldn't get nice man out of the door quick enough! blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now