Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What are these bugs in my kitchen?

(19 Posts)
Laura032004 Sun 19-Aug-07 20:56:47

I've found about 5 of them in the last day. They're really tiny - about the size of two grains of sugar - smaller than a grain of rice. They're beige coloured, and move really quickly. I've found a couple on the sides, and just found one in a cupboard. Please don't tell me that they're carriers of any horrible diseases . My kitchen is usually quite clean - nothing Kim and Aggie would worry about at any rate.

nell12 Sun 19-Aug-07 20:57:36

They sound like flour mites>

PestoMonster Sun 19-Aug-07 20:58:20

dettox spray everywhere!

cousinsandra Sun 19-Aug-07 20:59:42

or weevils - they sometimes pop up in old flour or other dry ingredients?

Laura032004 Sun 19-Aug-07 21:05:51

That might be it then - I've recently switched from a sugar jar with a screw top lid, to one of these where you turn it upside down and a measured dose comes out. Presumably some is leaking a bit as that's the cupboard they're in. It also houses all the cereals - I keep them in their bags with a clip on the top (I take them out of the cardboard box to save space).

I once complained to weetabix after finding lots of flour weevils in my weetabix. They said that they were harmless once cooked, but gave me a £5 voucher (for weetabix!) as compensation.

So if they are weevils, are they harmless? I can see an excuse for more Tupperware..... (and the end of my lovely new sugar dispenser!)

scienceteacher Sun 19-Aug-07 21:08:13

Could they be silver fish? Wide at the head and tapering to a narrow tail?

southeastastra Sun 19-Aug-07 21:08:47

baby cockroaches

handlemecarefully Sun 19-Aug-07 21:17:14

Definitely flour weevils. Not harmful but not nice.

Everything out of your cupboards. Clean up any traces of flour /dried food. Chuck out empty packets

handlemecarefully Sun 19-Aug-07 21:17:29

I meant chuck out 'open' packets

handlemecarefully Sun 19-Aug-07 21:21:43

www.kendall-bioresearch.co.uk/domest.htm#flour

any of these?

Thinking your desription sounds more like the rice weevil

LIZS Sun 19-Aug-07 21:23:40

Are they the things that turn into maggots ? We have some beige fly like things which seem to like flour and cereals . Have had them on and off for several years and in 3 different properties.

LIZS Sun 19-Aug-07 21:25:24

bleugh, apparently ours are the meal, flour and wax moths .

geekgirl Sun 19-Aug-07 21:25:43

they do sound just like flour mites - as already said, chuck everything and vac your cupboards/drawers

Laura032004 Sun 19-Aug-07 21:36:49

Not silverfish I don't think - remember them from the bathroom at school [uuurrgghh]. Southeastastra - were you joking? I hope so!!

Those pictures have made me really itchy! They're so tiny that you can't see any distinguishing features really. Will have to study the next one! They're just a tiny spec, but they move, so you know it's not just a crumb.

DH out at work tonight, but will be giving that cupboard a good going over tomorrow.

cousinsandra Sun 19-Aug-07 22:20:38

yuck - just chuck out containers with weevils and those close by (they seem to be able to lie dormant for quite a while) and start again. Unfortunately airtight lids don't seem to be any protection. However the flour our weevils appeared in was quite old

Laura032004 Mon 20-Aug-07 07:07:01

My mum lives in Cyprus, and she gets weevils in all sorts of things. Often when she buys flour, it will already have weevils in it. She always sieves flour with a fine sieve to check.

LIZS Mon 20-Aug-07 18:25:28

Had over a dozen maggotty things on our ceiling this morning, bleugh . Big cupboard clear out tomorrow methinks.

Laura032004 Mon 20-Aug-07 20:22:41

Poor you

LIZS Tue 21-Aug-07 16:46:07

Cupboard done, breadbin done , open flour etc discarded.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now