Talk

Advanced search

What are these bugs in my kitchen?

(19 Posts)
Laura032004 Sun 19-Aug-07 20:56:47

I've found about 5 of them in the last day. They're really tiny - about the size of two grains of sugar - smaller than a grain of rice. They're beige coloured, and move really quickly. I've found a couple on the sides, and just found one in a cupboard. Please don't tell me that they're carriers of any horrible diseases . My kitchen is usually quite clean - nothing Kim and Aggie would worry about at any rate.

nell12 Sun 19-Aug-07 20:57:36

They sound like flour mites>

PestoMonster Sun 19-Aug-07 20:58:20

dettox spray everywhere!

cousinsandra Sun 19-Aug-07 20:59:42

or weevils - they sometimes pop up in old flour or other dry ingredients?

Laura032004 Sun 19-Aug-07 21:05:51

That might be it then - I've recently switched from a sugar jar with a screw top lid, to one of these where you turn it upside down and a measured dose comes out. Presumably some is leaking a bit as that's the cupboard they're in. It also houses all the cereals - I keep them in their bags with a clip on the top (I take them out of the cardboard box to save space).

I once complained to weetabix after finding lots of flour weevils in my weetabix. They said that they were harmless once cooked, but gave me a £5 voucher (for weetabix!) as compensation.

So if they are weevils, are they harmless? I can see an excuse for more Tupperware..... (and the end of my lovely new sugar dispenser!)

scienceteacher Sun 19-Aug-07 21:08:13

Could they be silver fish? Wide at the head and tapering to a narrow tail?

southeastastra Sun 19-Aug-07 21:08:47

baby cockroaches

handlemecarefully Sun 19-Aug-07 21:17:14

Definitely flour weevils. Not harmful but not nice.

Everything out of your cupboards. Clean up any traces of flour /dried food. Chuck out empty packets

handlemecarefully Sun 19-Aug-07 21:17:29

I meant chuck out 'open' packets

handlemecarefully Sun 19-Aug-07 21:21:43

www.kendall-bioresearch.co.uk/domest.htm#flour

any of these?

Thinking your desription sounds more like the rice weevil

LIZS Sun 19-Aug-07 21:23:40

Are they the things that turn into maggots ? We have some beige fly like things which seem to like flour and cereals . Have had them on and off for several years and in 3 different properties.

LIZS Sun 19-Aug-07 21:25:24

bleugh, apparently ours are the meal, flour and wax moths .

geekgirl Sun 19-Aug-07 21:25:43

they do sound just like flour mites - as already said, chuck everything and vac your cupboards/drawers

Laura032004 Sun 19-Aug-07 21:36:49

Not silverfish I don't think - remember them from the bathroom at school [uuurrgghh]. Southeastastra - were you joking? I hope so!!

Those pictures have made me really itchy! They're so tiny that you can't see any distinguishing features really. Will have to study the next one! They're just a tiny spec, but they move, so you know it's not just a crumb.

DH out at work tonight, but will be giving that cupboard a good going over tomorrow.

cousinsandra Sun 19-Aug-07 22:20:38

yuck - just chuck out containers with weevils and those close by (they seem to be able to lie dormant for quite a while) and start again. Unfortunately airtight lids don't seem to be any protection. However the flour our weevils appeared in was quite old

Laura032004 Mon 20-Aug-07 07:07:01

My mum lives in Cyprus, and she gets weevils in all sorts of things. Often when she buys flour, it will already have weevils in it. She always sieves flour with a fine sieve to check.

LIZS Mon 20-Aug-07 18:25:28

Had over a dozen maggotty things on our ceiling this morning, bleugh . Big cupboard clear out tomorrow methinks.

Laura032004 Mon 20-Aug-07 20:22:41

Poor you

LIZS Tue 21-Aug-07 16:46:07

Cupboard done, breadbin done , open flour etc discarded.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: