Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Quick - Boring but Important (well to me) but possibly dumb Question:

(13 Posts)
hippipotami Sun 19-Aug-07 20:48:58

What is better for the environment, bio or non bio and why?

I need to buy laundry stuff tomorrow as have run out and want to buy something greener. Have tried ecover non bio and it was pants (well on my grubby clothes anyway). Then on some threads I have read about bio being better at cleaning. But what about the environment - bio or non bio?

MerlinsBeard Sun 19-Aug-07 20:52:48

not sure but bumong for you

have u posted on environment or whatever the eco section is caled?

Isababel Sun 19-Aug-07 20:57:27

Not sure either, but I would have thought non-bio.

I have found that many people who dislike ecover end up happy with Fairy/Ariel non bio.

hippipotami Sun 19-Aug-07 21:22:45

Thanks guys, it is obviously a mystery. Will post in the environment section, I believe there is one?

warthog Mon 20-Aug-07 08:22:52

don't know. but bio gives me serious eczema problems.

MrsScavo Mon 20-Aug-07 08:28:53

I would have presumed non bio is better for the environment.

elasticbandstand Mon 20-Aug-07 09:00:19

how about that special Earth washing thingy you can get?

Slubberdegullion Mon 20-Aug-07 09:06:43

Dunno which is better for the environment but I have read that people who exclusively use non bio at low temps risk clogging up the pipes in their washing machines. I think the advice I read was every couple of weeks you should run an empty machine on a hot programme with some bio washing powder in to flush the pipes through iyswim.

There are those soap nut thingmys you can use instead of powder, not sure how effective they are though.

Madwelshwoman Mon 20-Aug-07 09:46:56

Well as far as I know non-bio is as bio detergents have enzymes in them that come from the gut of animals which then 'eat' the dirt on your clothes unless you buy eco-bio detergents which have plant enzymes instead. Personally I buy Tesco Naturals range of bio poswer for nappies, whites etc and then their non bio liquid for everything else.

MellowMa Mon 20-Aug-07 09:49:55

Message withdrawn

hippipotami Mon 20-Aug-07 11:17:50

Thanks
Urgh, the description of animal-gut-enzymes has just put me off completely, so will stick to non-bio. Will investigate the Tesco one (if I can face Tesco that is...)

traceukw1 Mon 20-Aug-07 12:46:29

Niether are any better for the environment really these articles may be of some interest to you though.

www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=202

www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=185

HTH

Isababel Mon 20-Aug-07 14:11:30

Interesting about clogging the pipes

Will run a hot wash to see if it improves.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now