Talk

Advanced search

Repainting exterior so....

(23 Posts)
MaryAnnSingleton Sat 18-Aug-07 17:48:39

... I'm thinking white walls and matt grey (dark,as in charcoal) woodwork - window frames/door/door frame)- saw it on a house the other day and it looked fab - very cool - took a picture - my house is also Victorian so similar to this - what do you think ? (on my profile page!)

MaryAnnSingleton Sat 18-Aug-07 17:53:23

picture now on my profile page, if anyone's interested !

UCM Sat 18-Aug-07 17:53:35

Can I be honest and say that the door & frames look to me like they have primed them and not painted them <<sorry>>

I have the same type of house.

Pixiefish Sat 18-Aug-07 17:54:58

I used to live in the smae sort of house and we had it white and black

warthog Sat 18-Aug-07 17:56:26

another honest opinion here, my next-door neighbour did this, and it reminded me of a battleship. it did look like he still need to apply the top coat. sorry!

MaryAnnSingleton Sat 18-Aug-07 17:57:05

yes, know what you mean UCM - the photo doesn't really show it off well, and dh is a bit sceptical (it's in London and we;re in Hampshire,so he can't see for himself) -

throckenholt Sat 18-Aug-07 17:57:17

I think I would go for something more colourful - red or blue or green.

But whatever you choose - it will be worth the effort - fresh paint always makes a place look better and more cared for.

PeachesMcLean Sat 18-Aug-07 18:00:09

I like the white on teh stone bits around the window and charcoal on the woodwork sounds good. For me though, I wouldn't do white walls but more of a natural colour like the house next door in the picture. Preferably get them sandblasted back to the bare brick, but that might be a bit more work than you were planning!

MaryAnnSingleton Sat 18-Aug-07 18:08:00

I've added a pic of a bit of my house front as it is at the moment, if that helps. We were just going to have white paintwork all over and a bluey door but I saw the grey and it struck a note with me (I think it looks quite architecty - my dad is one, so it's his fault - he likes it, by the way !)

UCM Sat 18-Aug-07 18:12:18

I had to look, I am still not keen on grey, it always looks like primer to me

But I lurve your illustrations, they are lovely and your button heart is fab!!!!!

MaryAnnSingleton Sat 18-Aug-07 18:16:02

oh thank you UCM ! that's very kind of you to say

bumbling Sat 18-Aug-07 20:35:04

I rather like your colour scheme and we have similr issues at the moment. Love the idea of sandblastig though... How much would it cost to do the front a Victorian Terrace then?

MaryAnnSingleton Sat 18-Aug-07 21:10:28

way too much for us, but I like it being a white house. My former next door neighbour had the misfortune of a pebbledashed house and the cost of unpebbledashing was huge, so they left it.

bumbling Sat 18-Aug-07 22:02:00

Have you got any ball park figures - Fascinated to know?!

MaryAnnSingleton Sat 18-Aug-07 22:14:30

no, but can ask decorator when he comes !

MaryAnnSingleton Sun 19-Aug-07 18:26:26

any one else got an opinion ??

southeastastra Sun 19-Aug-07 18:28:23

ooh i've seen your pictures! have you done a book? they're fab.

i'd do the house the same as the other two (very boring)

MaryAnnSingleton Sun 19-Aug-07 20:05:08

southeastastra - did you mean you'd not go for the grey ?
Thanks for liking my pictures though - yes,.I have done some books - a few childrens picture books and lots of children's poetry books,and educational stuff.

southeastastra Sun 19-Aug-07 20:09:57

i've seen them i'm sure!

i wouldn't go for grey as it'd take alot of repainting over if you didn't like it, but you could try one window (not an expert!)

MaryAnnSingleton Sun 19-Aug-07 20:13:27

oh I am really thinking of going for grey - despite all your respected opinions -I saw another building with it today (in Midhurst as we were driving through) and I just think it'll satisfy my need to be a little bit different, a little bit edgy !
DH isn't sure but said that he trusts my instincts - hope I;m right !!! Still willing to be swayed if anyone really thinks it's a crap idea !

southeastastra Sun 19-Aug-07 20:17:42

go for it

i used to live in a flat like that, it was on the haringey ladder

southeastastra Sun 19-Aug-07 20:18:45

we overlooked a flat, where every night half naked men sat, playing cards, those were the days

MaryAnnSingleton Sun 19-Aug-07 20:42:28

ooer !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now