Talk

Advanced search

Washing Machine can't spin - can it be repaired, your experiences please

(14 Posts)
LowFatPumpkinJuice Fri 17-Aug-07 13:13:07

Yarghhh

The washing machine cant spin although the drum rotates - it's not nearly fast enough. I have a British gas homecare agreement and they are coming out next Wednesday.....(dont they appreciate I have 2 small children)

Fingers crossed for a repair as I am off on holiday in 2 weeks and will have a ton of wash to do.

Thank goodness I had just washed everything and have a great BF and BFDM who have offered to do everything I need for me on Sunday.

From your experience ladies do you think it can be repaired or will he write it off.

littlerach Fri 17-Aug-07 13:15:14

mine couldn't, at leats it may have been possible but was easier to buy a new one.
And then it took 10 days to arrive.
Fortunatly I have some very nice friend who did our washing. In fact, it was better than having a machine!!

LowFatPumpkinJuice Fri 17-Aug-07 13:16:35

Everything else is fine it's just the spin cycle.

Please keeo your fingers crossed really tight for me.

Whizzz Fri 17-Aug-07 13:17:23

Sounds as though it may be the belt slipping or the motor - does it sound right ??

DoubleBluff Fri 17-Aug-07 13:21:01

I had similar prob it was just the belt had slipped because I had put too heavy a load on.

AngharadGoldenhand Fri 17-Aug-07 13:24:51

Get someone to check the bushes.

This just happened with mil's machine and dh changed the bushes for her. Cost about £12.

LowFatPumpkinJuice Fri 17-Aug-07 13:26:50

I thought it might be a belt or motor - I had in the load before just done some heavy towels so hopefully it can be sorted easily

Thanks for giving me some hope.

MaureenMLove Fri 17-Aug-07 13:27:25

Have you checked the filter? Mine does everything apart from the final spin, when the filter is blocked. If it were the brushes, it wouldn't go round at all, I don't think. I've had that too!

LowFatPumpkinJuice Fri 17-Aug-07 13:29:11

Will not ask DH to tinker as it will need replacing then . The British Gas Homecare Man can do all that on wednesday. And I can cope until then thanks to the kindness of my friend and her mum.

What I want to avoid is having to trawl the shops on the bank holiday weekend begging someone to deliver and install and take old machine away in time for me to get washing done for holiday the following weekend.

Teaandcake Fri 17-Aug-07 13:29:40

Mine did this last week. I cleaned out the filter (behind a little door on the bottom left on the front of the machine) and it worked.

Hadn't been cleaned out for some considerable time . Found £1 coin, 5p coin, a curtain hook, several paper clips along with all the really gunky fluff.

Worth a try?

Chirpygirl Fri 17-Aug-07 13:45:46

Mine does this all teh time if I overload it, it's just the belt slipping off the drum at the back, DH takes the back off and puts it back on, no cost and no hassle, takes about 20 mins which includes moving my entire kitchen round so he can pull it out so he can get to teh back.
Have a look now as you might be able to have it up and running today!

LowFatPumpkinJuice Fri 17-Aug-07 14:11:38

Why dont I have a little door on the front of my washing machine

Am at work so cant get to the machine, also I I touch it I am likely make things worse, liie a hose will deicde the washer has had enough and start to leak or something.

Good to knoe that it's relatively small easy problems though!

Chirpygirl Sun 19-Aug-07 16:35:25

Just to let you know the belt on mine slipped again this morning, DH got home and has fixed it in 5 minutes!

Only problem was I hadn't realised and there was a full load of nappies in that had been covered in water and then left for an hour, as the rdum wasn't moving, so now my kitchen smells of pee! nice!

LowFat Thu 23-Aug-07 17:53:58

Repairman came, opened machine, could find nothing - yes nothing!!! Ran spin cycle 3 times and was not happy as he said he likes to find faults so he knows it's a done deal when they're repaired.

He said that some machines can refuse to spin if they have an uneven loads - does this mean a single bath mat - (badly soiled - otherwise would be in regular wash) constitues an uneven load??

Anyway all washing is done and I (fingers crossed) should get away for my hoiday with a clean bag of clothes.

Thanks for your advise ladies

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now