Talk

Advanced search

This is definitely a 'niche' thread, but if you cannot ask here then where, for goodness sake?

(8 Posts)
RubyRioja Mon 13-Aug-07 10:30:57

I need to downsize from two big dressers in my dining room to just one. However, we had china and glass as wedding gifts and have inherited stuff from both ILs, so lots of emotional ties and as well as being nice and quality stuff (good crystal etc).

So, even if I sacrifice some, does anyone have any guidelines or knows of any Martha Stewart type websites that show you how to arrange artfully and yet space efficiently, glass/china etc in a glass fronted dresser?

See, I told you it was niche, but I didn't say it was nerdy too!

Mwah, mwah - depserate housewife type kisses

RubyRioja Mon 13-Aug-07 10:54:23

Too niche for MN! No-one cares about my dressers .

Doodledootoo Mon 13-Aug-07 11:10:03

Message withdrawn

TigerFeet Mon 13-Aug-07 11:14:54

I inherited china from my gran, I'm sorry to say that it is carefully wrapped and stashed in the attic . It is nice but not my taste iyswim. I don't have the space to display it anyway.

I would separate out what you really love and put the rest away. You don't have to get rid of it, then if you fancy a change in a couple of years you could swap it about a bit.

RubyRioja Mon 13-Aug-07 11:17:46

Yes, that is probablythe way forward isn't it? Having seen all these 'eclectic' interiors in the super posh magazines, I wondered if there was a Feng Sui type process. PITA though - we use non of it for ages, then have big dinner and need it all!

Thanks for responding - now I don't feel so unloved#!

themoon66 Mon 13-Aug-07 11:17:52

Agree with Doodle. I don't 'do' ornaments either, but I would just pack the lot up and store in loft. Just keep one or two bits out.

I cannot abide ornaments because I hate dusting.

RubyRioja Mon 13-Aug-07 11:20:20

These are plates/drinking glasses.dinner service type things (with every item matchign or co-ordinating) rather than ornaments. I am much more ruthless with them!

TigerFeet Mon 13-Aug-07 11:30:16

Is there anywhere where you could put away boxed up china where it's reasonably accessible for big dinners... back of wardrobe, under bed?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now