Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone got a wood floor in their kitchen?

(6 Posts)
JoshandJamie Mon 06-Aug-07 18:15:46

And would you recommend having one? I mean solid wood floor boards.

We were flooded and all of our downstairs flooring is coming up and the insurers are paying for new stuff. We want to lay something down that we really want (and if we have to pay the extra, that's fine) and I love the look of wooden floors in kitchens but don't know how practical they are.

Anyone have one and are they a nightmare with spills etc?

Tanee58 Tue 07-Aug-07 07:30:31

I had the original pine boards sanded, gaps filled and varnished in my old flat, which looked wonderful and lasted well, and in my new house, which we've been in for a year, most of the kitchen has solid oak good quality veneer laid over the original boards (would have preferred the original boards, but the previous owner did it). I haven't had any problems - spills just wipe off. They do get scratched, but that just adds to the period feel - it's a Victorian house - and I don't like lino or vinyl. If you like wood, I'd say go for it. And if you get flooded again (God forbid) - least you'll only have one layer of flooring to replace...

Piggy Tue 07-Aug-07 07:37:37

We do. It's actually much easier to keep clean than you'd think and looks fab. Go for good quality stuff - not builders' pine which is pretty poor quality. It'll last you for years (some of the wooden floors in our house have been here since Victorian times) and look good too.

Sorry to hear about your flooding. Sounds like a nightmare.

zippitippitoes Tue 07-Aug-07 07:41:47

do you have solid floors if so I would have ceramics in case it floods again

don't you have to put in extra flood proofing

JoshandJamie Tue 07-Aug-07 14:03:54

Thanks for the feedback. Our house is not in a flood zone. it was a freak thing really. Because of the sheer volume of rain that fell in such a short period, water just came off a farmers field behind us and into the house in the space of 10 minutes. The neighbours who've all lived here for 20 years plus said that nothing like it has ever happened before. So I think the risk of flooding happening again is slim. But I do take your point. Our other option was to put stone flooring throughout downstairs, but we can't really afford the under floor heating and I wouldn't want to go with stone without it.

CountessDracula Tue 07-Aug-07 14:05:31

I have old french oak in my kitchen and main bathroom
It is fine
you have to re-wax it every so often but that covers up most stains

And you can have it re-sanded for a couple of hunderd quid if it gets too knackered

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now