Talk

Advanced search

oohhh noooo I just put my net curtains on 30degree cycle and not handwash

(13 Posts)
melsy Mon 06-Aug-07 12:31:23

What a plonker, wish me luck theyre coming out in 5mins. Dh will go mental if Ive shrunk them, they were specially made for the bay window. Ive also done the bathroom one.

Although sorta hoping they are (YUCK YUCK hate nets), then we just have to get^ new venetian blinds for the windows to match upstairs!!!

I thought I was doing well this morning too !!!

AnAngelWithin Mon 06-Aug-07 12:42:23

oh are you not supposed to put them on a hot wash then?? ive always put mine on 60 and they came out ok!!

melsy Mon 06-Aug-07 12:43:27

Are they 100% cotton ??Just call me Rodney from now on !!

melsy Mon 06-Aug-07 12:44:17

These are flat panel really fine muslin ones.

Oh may be they will be ok!

themoon66 Mon 06-Aug-07 12:44:35

They will be fine. 30 is not hot. If you handwashed them, you'd be doing it about 35 to 40 anywa.

AnAngelWithin Mon 06-Aug-07 12:44:38

no idea!! they were just the cheapest ones i could get so im guessing not??

expatinscotland Mon 06-Aug-07 12:45:16

Net curtains?

No, don't wash them at 30 degree, just them in the bin. They are naff.

bristols Mon 06-Aug-07 12:45:57

30 degrees is only about 5 degrees hotter than a handwash. I think it's more to do with the spin and the 'vigour' of the wash, rather than the temperature.

I am very upset that I can't think of a better word than vigour. Sorry. Hope you know what I mean...

melsy Mon 06-Aug-07 13:01:58

vigour is a really good word

Yes expat very naff indeedy . I know they are the most ick ick ick things (I should know Im an interior decorater/designer !!), but my saving grace is that they are NOT GATHERED AND NOT NYLON !!!

I need to have a sticker on the window saying : temporary fixture , please bare with us whilst we get blinds made !!

Oh and they seem ok btw,no shrinkage !!! Just hanging them now!

Oh my gawd Im such a housewife !!!

Flibbertyjibbet Mon 06-Aug-07 13:02:52

Net curtains are made from modern indestructible nylon. They will be fine. I used to wash mine hot.
But then, as expat advises, I binned them as I noticed only the old biddies in my street have them these days, and I put up blinds.
Even the dusting of blinds is preferable to having a house with nets!!

Perhaps you need to put a very strong solution of bleach in the conditioner slot in the washer to try and melt the curtains? Otherwise that hotter than usual wash will make them look better than before and you'll NEVER be able to justify a new blind

TheQueenOfQuotes Mon 06-Aug-07 20:04:14

chuck us the money to get decent blinds made for our bay windows and I'll ditch the nets any day.....

themoon66 Tue 07-Aug-07 09:43:26

What sort of blinds do you fancy then? I've done the whole house out in wooden venetians. They look fab as they are exactly the same shade of finish as the frames. Easy to clean too with one of them magnetic duster things.

I didn't find them too expensive on the web. I paid on average £60 - 70 for each window. However, the same blinds at a shop in town were about £200 each

I can try and relocate the website for you if you like.

TheQueenOfQuotes Tue 07-Aug-07 13:42:38

£60-70 !! Sorry way out of our price league I'm afraid! I get those plain (not lacy type) nets for the entire house for less than that

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now