Talk

Advanced search

is painting a room in this topic?? What colour should I paint my kitchen?

(33 Posts)
HonoriaGlossop Thu 02-Aug-07 17:34:42

OK, any ideas welcome. My kitchen is great, quite new but the walls are just white and the room really looks a bit unfinished. I like white walls usually but for some reason in this room it's just not right.

I have oak (colour) units, black granite style worktop, and stainless steel oven hob and extractor. So it's all quite modern looking.

I have stainless steel accessories mixed with (sorry) some pink accessories.

Any ideas from you wonderful home makers? I am at a loss.

KitsAndBits Thu 02-Aug-07 17:36:03

get rid of the pink acessories,

paint 3 of the walls light grey and one red.

lush!

wheelsonthebus Thu 02-Aug-07 17:36:17

dulux gardenia - not white - v v v pale shade of yellow. looks fab (we have just done our kitchen in it...now doing hall)

RubyRioja Thu 02-Aug-07 17:36:48

Pink is very still cool in kitchens - why not go for it and change for the cost of paint when you get fed up with it?

HonoriaGlossop Thu 02-Aug-07 17:41:49

wow, red and grey I would never have thought of in a million years! That's why I love MN. ok, am saving this thread and will give all these serious thought. Thanks. I had wondered about pink walls but thought maybe it was just too Jordan. Or should I say Princess-y

However, if it's coooooool.......

totaleclipse Thu 02-Aug-07 17:41:59

coffee colour

SpacePuppy Thu 02-Aug-07 17:43:35

iron grey.

RubyRioja Thu 02-Aug-07 17:44:07

I would not buy a pink kitchen as would be bored to tears with it long before I could replace it, but walls are different. (DH is designing a pink bathroom for a TV show and I am vvv {envy]).

Red/grey would obv be stylish and sophis - so not me at all

HonoriaGlossop Thu 02-Aug-07 17:45:10

I must be like you Ruby...not sophis enough to even think of it

Coffee colour - ooo ooo am liking that alot........

RubyRioja Thu 02-Aug-07 17:46:30

But you could put in one of these http://www.savvy-chick.net/love/pink-smeg-dishwasher/

aloha Thu 02-Aug-07 17:46:52

I think something like Farrow & Ball Old White would look good. It's a very neutral buff shade with a slight hint of green in it. Very sophisticated. We have it in our bathroom, and people always ask what it is.

Pruners Thu 02-Aug-07 17:52:07

Message withdrawn

HonoriaGlossop Thu 02-Aug-07 17:59:04

Ruby, you are no help at all, I spend my life fighting my pink urges and there you are showing me that

Thanks Aloha and Pruners. I will be checking out all suggestions as soon as I have the opportunity! Pruners I know exactly what you mean; MIL and FIL do the same to me, in exhaustive detail, about every room they've ever decorated (I can go back to 1965 if you'd like me to )

RubyRioja Thu 02-Aug-07 18:04:17

It is fun to indulge on the pink side, so why not. And it would save money as you would not need new accessories!

michaelad Thu 02-Aug-07 18:14:48

Oh lurve this thread.. am thinking of doing the same only my kitchen is has naff cream-ish coloured cupboards and a stainless steel oven and hob.

The fab grey and red won't go, I think
..any equally great suggestions?

Although, if you do say grey and red does still work I'd run out tomorrow

HonoriaGlossop Thu 02-Aug-07 18:20:39

well I won't try to advise you, will leave that to the Stylish Ones.

Err, (back to me for a mo ) what about a sage-y sort of dull green? Would that be utterly awful? <puts on hard hat ready for blows from those who know better>

littlelapin Thu 02-Aug-07 18:23:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RubyRioja Thu 02-Aug-07 18:24:22

pink, pink, pink!

aloha Thu 02-Aug-07 18:24:57

Old White is a good sagey green - very subtle, almost not green at all. House White or Farrow's Cream are too really good cream colours - one pale, the other warmer and yellower (I have the latter in my kitchen!)

littlelapin Thu 02-Aug-07 18:27:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StarryStarryNight Thu 02-Aug-07 18:31:14

I love my kitchen, the name of the colour is Dulux Buttermilk. It is like, butter milk. Slightly yellowy. It is lush.

lailasmum Thu 02-Aug-07 18:36:38

I like a sort of bright aqua greeny Blue, its so cheerful

HonoriaGlossop Thu 02-Aug-07 18:45:36

oh thanks Aloha - it was that colour you mentioned that got me thinking about green; I will definitely get a tester of yours, it sounds as if I'll like it

thanks all. am noting EVERYTHING!

Pruners Thu 02-Aug-07 18:48:23

Message withdrawn

AttilaTheMum Thu 02-Aug-07 18:55:30

My MIL bathroom has a sage green suite with pink carpet and pink roses on the walls. It's been lke that ever since i can remember (32 years)Thank god she's moving next week and I won't have to see it ever again - bet it's the first thing the buyers rip out.

As for HG's kitchen, i have similar colours & my walls are a sort of light aqua green.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now