Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

OK Ladies - need some inspiration about disposing of two beds

(15 Posts)
RubyRioja Thu 02-Aug-07 17:17:05

Am currently clearing MILs house. There are several beds to dispose of, some have fire certificate and we can re-home, but the other two (sgl and dbl!) do not.

It is a real shame as they are immaculate and barely used (guest rooms), but I accept that charities cannot use items which are not 'legal'.

Any ideas how to dispose of them? I cannot imagine what type of skip I would need?

CountessDracula Thu 02-Aug-07 17:18:23

Freecycle.org

SachaF Thu 02-Aug-07 17:19:34

Try 'freecycling' them:
http://uk.freecycle.org/
If people want them they have to collect them from you.

SimplySparkling Thu 02-Aug-07 17:21:28

A quick hello to Ruby. I understand why we don't see you on the FLY threads now, but we (or should I speak for myself and say I), miss you!

I can't help with your query except to suggest Freecycle and advertising in the local paper.

LIZS Thu 02-Aug-07 17:34:41

Ring local council . Ours either have a large container to which you can take such stuff in the area every 6 weeks or so or you can pay about £30(free for OAPS) to have a one off collection of up to 3 bulky items. Not sure you can even Freecycle pre 1988 soft furnishings .

CountessDracula Thu 02-Aug-07 17:36:04

I think you can freecycle anything pretty much!

Someone put a bucket of Frogspawn on it the ohter day

FunkyGlassSlipper Thu 02-Aug-07 17:39:14

I miss you on FLY too Ruby

Definitely Freecycle them. They'll get snapped up very quickly.

cousinsandra Thu 02-Aug-07 17:39:54

check your yellow pages local council bit - ours has a bit about recycling and there is a company/charity that takes furniture in good condition to given to charity or people who need help furnishing a new/first home.

RubyRioja Thu 02-Aug-07 17:52:13

Do you think it is 'ethical' to freecycle? RR has visions of causing death of large family through unwillingness to let anything be wasted?

gringottsgoblin Thu 02-Aug-07 17:56:22

put it in the freecycle ad if you are worried, then whoever takes them knows and your conscience is clear

FunkyGlassSlipper Thu 02-Aug-07 21:53:27

yes, yes. be clear in the ad and then takers know what they are going for. I recently got rid of half a 1kg bag of bird seed and a used hand cot mattress on freecycle.

SpacePuppy Thu 02-Aug-07 21:57:30

...and somewhere someone is sleeping on a pavement, or park bench and we are concerned about fire safety regulations...[hangs head in shame emoticon]...why?
Good Luck Ruby, it will be a waste if no-one can take it over. Maybe you can advertise it "free to collector" in the Friday ad paper.

whomovedmychocolate Thu 02-Aug-07 21:58:11

I would freecycle them and state in the ad they are OLD but in good nick. When people enquire just say 'they don't have fire stickers on because they are old'. It's up to people to take sensible precautions. When I freecycled a set of knives I didn't point out they were sharp and could cut someone.

It's fine. Someone out there may be in dire straits and you may make their week giving them away.

Otherwise, yes the local council will haul them to landfill for a fee (£20 round here). They normally take up to five items.

Aero Thu 02-Aug-07 22:04:27

I would definitely freecycle them. We're looking for a single bed for ds2 atm and I'm keeping my eyes peeled on our local group. There's always someone who'll be grateful and I'm sure if you mention the lack of fire certifictes, then people can decide for themselves whether to ask for them or not.

AramintaVanHamstring Thu 02-Aug-07 22:04:51

I work for a charity that is often mistaken for a furniture recycling charity. I direct people to local charities who will take away furniture and refurbish it to current standards. Our closest local one is called jigsaw.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now