Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Washer dryers - need advice

(16 Posts)
JoshandJamie Mon 23-Jul-07 16:56:32

I am thinking about getting a washer/dryer all in one machine. But have never used one. Does anyone have one? Are they any good? Downsides? Which brands can you recommend?

Thanks

MrsBadger Mon 23-Jul-07 17:03:07

I have had two and both were rubbish at drying.

The thing to remember is that while it can happily wash a 7kg load it can only dry about 5kg at a time effectively so you either have to dry in two batches or hang half the stuff on airers anyway. I gave up using it as a dryer in the end and just hung it all out.

puppydavies Mon 23-Jul-07 17:09:01

don't know if this was just mine but it took all day to dry e.g. a load of nappies. hopeless.

slalomsuki Mon 23-Jul-07 17:11:43

I ditched mine and bought seperates. It never worked well and the part load bit really got on my nerves

Washersaurus Mon 23-Jul-07 17:14:26

I also found when we had a washer/dryer it didn't dry very well (or wash that well either actually come to think of it).

The other thing to remember is that you (obviously) aren't able to wash whilst it is drying. This was terrible for us as we need to do several washes some days

I don't think they ideal for families TBH, but it was OK when it was just DH and me. I wouldn't go back to a washer/dryer now - having separate machines has changed my life (LOL) !

southeastastra Mon 23-Jul-07 17:14:46

yes same as the others, it started off ok then died pretty quickly

NAB3 Mon 23-Jul-07 17:17:07

We had one when we first lived together as we didn't have the room for 2 appliances. It was okay but a bit of a nuisance having to remember to take the detergent ball out before using the drier. It could be set to wash and then dry straight away if I didn't use the ball. It blew up the week we moved so we have a washer and a drier now. I would definitely get 2 separate appliances if I could, if not spend the most you can afford and get insurance cover with Warranty Direct.

JoshandJamie Mon 23-Jul-07 17:45:23

thanks - all very useful advice.

Our situation is that we've just been flooded, wiping out our washer and dryer (and everything else downstairs). We are now having to rip out the kitchen and given we're doing that, we're thinking about bashing through to our utility room and making it into a really big kitchen - but I don't want my laundry in my kitchen (washer and dryer are currently in the utility room).

I have a big cupboard upstairs that is largely unused. I've spoken to a plumber and he can connect water and waste to it for a washer but there's not enough space for a washer and dryer. Hence me thinking about a combo machine. But now am thinking maybe that's not such a cunning plan.

I like the thought of having the washer/dryer upstairs as that's where all the clothes are so it saves carting it up and downstairs.

Will need to think further on this...

Ceolas Mon 23-Jul-07 17:47:51

Agree with the others. Inefficient dryer that either leaves your clothes wet or dries them to a crisp and you spend hours ironing them.

If you can at all avoid it, don't! Keep the separate machines. Your life will be a whole lot easier.

Could you have the dryer on top of the washing machine? I've seen that before.

bossykate Mon 23-Jul-07 17:48:34

don't do it - the drying is really inefficient and takes forever...

bossykate Mon 23-Jul-07 17:49:03

and you can't multi-task - i.e. wash and dry at the same time.

Ceolas Mon 23-Jul-07 17:50:03

Oh yes, the waiting for a load to wash and dry before you can get the next one on is terrible if you're wshing for kids.

nightowl Mon 23-Jul-07 18:10:10

dont buy a washer/dryer, they are useless, got rid of mine when i had ds.

i have a tiny kitchen, just enough room in it for a washer, cooker and fridge (and half a base cupboard, washer is under the drainer), i have my dryer in a cupboard on top of the freezer (where there's a will there's a way)!

(now watch someone come on and tell me i shouldnt).

hifi Mon 23-Jul-07 18:28:46

they are only good for drying one item at a time.

Paddlechick666 Mon 23-Jul-07 18:41:27

ooh i'm going to buck the trend here. i had an indesit wd12 brand new 4 years ago and it was great.

i lived in a small flat with nowhere to hang bedding and sheets and so on without making the living room look like an industrial laundry.

it stayed with the flat when i moved and i still miss it!

i'd still prefer to line dry if at all possible but it was a lifesaver on occasion.

if you're low on space and only planning on occasional use i'd recommend it.

Washersaurus Mon 23-Jul-07 20:45:57

I have my tumble dryer on top of my washing machine in the old outside loo - we are that desp for space here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now