Talk

Advanced search

horrible black stuff that grows inside bath toys

(18 Posts)
ksmum Mon 16-Jul-07 12:55:51

How do you get rid of it. Spend hours squeezing water out but it still re-appears. DD has lots of ducks etc. I remember having a toy pelican when I was little and being fascinated by this blak gunk. No longer fascinated but repelled (as is DD).

Clary Mon 16-Jul-07 12:58:42

No there's nowt you can do IME.

Chuck em out.

Yurtgirl Mon 16-Jul-07 13:00:29

Its mould!

Nbg Mon 16-Jul-07 13:04:33

I do find it rather therapeutic to fill ours with water, shake and then squeeze it out and see the black stuff in the sink

I do plan to throw them out though.

ksmum Mon 16-Jul-07 13:19:22

I know its mould, have filled up and squeezed out loads of times. But then I will just have to buy some more and then they will get mouldy as well and the whole cycle will continue (and the plastic mountain climb ever higher).

madamez Mon 16-Jul-07 13:21:04

And there was me thinking that's it's just our yucky water or my indifference to housework. Glad it happens to other people too. Not toxic, is it?

EffiePerine Mon 16-Jul-07 13:24:46

chuck them out
buy new
don't keep them in the bathroom (and squeeze out the water before puttin ghtem away)

LilRedWG Mon 16-Jul-07 13:25:55

Keep new ones in the airing cupboard to keep them nice and dry.

GrimoireThief Mon 16-Jul-07 13:29:45

I don't understand the design tbh. I know the hole is there as part of the manufacturing process but isn't it possible to just seal it up somehow? Does it have another function? (obv not including squirty bath toys in this)

I can never get all the water out of ds's bath ducks. Minging.

Speccy Mon 16-Jul-07 13:31:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Yurtgirl Mon 16-Jul-07 13:31:35

We have got some boring solid ducks with no hole - and they dont get mouldy
But the squeezy ones with the hole are far more fun!

LittleLupin Mon 16-Jul-07 13:32:36

I periodically soak ours in Milton, and if it won't come off - in the bin! Mainly because DS chews them.

ksmum Mon 16-Jul-07 14:56:55

thank you would rather go for bleach method than throw away. Feel like am always buying and throwing away plastic since becoming a Mum

VerySweatyBetty Mon 16-Jul-07 15:00:33

err tell me about it, it took me ages to work out what the black stuff was floating in the bath. I drain as much water out as i can and put them on a radiator or airing cupboard, this does help

Clary Mon 16-Jul-07 15:15:15

You could always use non holey toys in bath like plastic stacking cups or just empty plastic bottles if waste bothers you (as it does me, I admit).

stealthsquiggle Mon 16-Jul-07 15:18:58

It's yukky. Used to throw things away but am too mean/lazy nowadays and the bath toys are currently particularly revolting and in need of soaking in Milton. I am intruiged by LilRed's solution - does it really work?

ksmum Mon 16-Jul-07 17:01:54

I am not sure if it would work but presumably if they were not damp inside it must do. WOuld have quite a lot of things to cart through to airing cupboard which is in spare room though.

Flower3554 Mon 16-Jul-07 17:10:52

Don't know if this will help but I put stuff like that in the dishwasher then in the airing cupboard or on top of a radiator if it's cold and they're on, and in the sun in the garden if its hot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now