Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mouldy washing machine

(11 Posts)
chocolatepig Wed 11-Jul-07 16:02:11

Any ideas how to clean (or even better prevent) the dispenser drawer of a washing machine, spent about half an hour last night cleaning off thick mould, but it's all the gubbins above aswell, I just can't get it off!?

Lilymaid Wed 11-Jul-07 16:10:29

There are loads of old threads on this topic. Suggest you buy a washing machine cleaner (available in most supermarkets in same aisle as detergents) and follow instructions. You also need to do a high temperature wash fairly regularly - 90/95 degree wash with nothing else in machine. Bathroom mould remover might help to get rid of current mould but it will reappear unless you run hot washes and or use a special cleaner.

Deux Wed 11-Jul-07 16:17:00

I just take my drawer out every now and then and wash it - much easier. Not sure if all w/m drawers are removable? If you pull yours out and have a look underneath it there may be a metal piece that you can push up and then you can pull the drawer out.

Allycat Thu 12-Jul-07 17:32:00

I put mine in the dishwasher when I running a cleaning solution through that!!

NannyL Thu 12-Jul-07 18:37:46

im obsessed with my washing machine... i take out the drawer thing and let it air dry on the draining board after every wash

after a year my washing machine still resembles a brand new one

crokky Thu 12-Jul-07 18:42:07

I don't use my drawer, I just put the liquid directly on the clothes in the drum. You can do the same with powder.

SlightlyMadSpider Thu 12-Jul-07 18:42:23

After cleaning the compartment I dowse the drawer with boiling water and steam clean the inside bit to kill hte mould. I also leave the drawer open after every wash.

Interestingly my old machine never got mouldy - I don't know why this one does.

SlightlyMadSpider Thu 12-Jul-07 18:42:41

Corkky - what about softener?

crokky Thu 12-Jul-07 18:44:12

No softener
Tumble dry so clothes are not hard.

crokky Thu 12-Jul-07 18:51:45

...and I never iron anything apart from shirts DH goes to work in

chocolatepig Thu 12-Jul-07 19:54:45

Thanks guys, spent a good while yesterday cleaning and running a maintenance wash,now looks spanking new!! think I'll try and do what NannyL suggests as it must be the trapped water producing the mould.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now