Talk

Advanced search

Going from a one bed flat to a 3 bed house

(15 Posts)
Danae Fri 29-Jun-07 23:53:07

Message withdrawn

hana Fri 29-Jun-07 23:58:14

I'd just see what you need as you go along
we went from a one bed flat to 3 bed house as well, and we're still pretty spartan by most people - We still only have one sofa in the living room (never enough places to sit, we usually end up on the floor!)

AlwaysWatchingCastawayAt2am Fri 29-Jun-07 23:59:04

how exciting for you. my regret is buying new furniture from ikea. i wish i'd bought nice 50s stuff on ebay. i'm gradually replacing but nothing much has worn out yet...

got a great extending ercol table and chairs though.

KittenKat Sat 30-Jun-07 00:02:36

one sofa is good! We have two and it takes up space. Better to get floor cushions/beanbags! Our second settee is going, we got a panang chair instead.

Worthwhile purchases - table and chairs.

PeachesMcLean Sat 30-Jun-07 00:02:43

Ikea can be fun because you can spend £50 and come home with a stack of stuff, which satisfies the fun element of it. However, how much of it you'll value in years to come is dubious. We're in an almost similar position and facing a very spartan house with our small amount of furniture, and we're going from a small two bed to a larger three bed. Think I might have to get some clothes rails before we can afford proper wardrobes.

PeachesMcLean Sat 30-Jun-07 00:03:22

Poang chairs are very comfy (says my bottom right now!!!)

KittenKat Sat 30-Jun-07 00:05:22

is it poang? the v comfy ones from Ikea? oops .

PeachesMcLean Sat 30-Jun-07 00:06:31

Sorry, I've been a pedant. We've got two of the comfy things so I remember their names

AlwaysWatchingCastawayAt2am Sat 30-Jun-07 00:06:48

we do love our poang chair. when we moved from a flat share to a 3 bed we bought a cheap 2 seater sofa from a warehouse to tide us over until our big one arrived. i was v pregnant and needed somewhere to loaf. anyway, we kept the two of them in our sitting room for 7 years and it was only last year that i realised how cramped it made the place. now the cheap one has gone and our poang - plus an inherited old chair i had recovered - take pride of place.

KittenKat Sat 30-Jun-07 00:11:34

Always - thats like me! I bought two lovely chesterfield style sofas when I bought this place, my first home (two bed, not three), and when pg with DD, was so uncomfortable on them, we lent one to a friend and brought in the very old one from spare room, which needed a couple of pillows stuffed under cushions and meant I could lounge properly. Now, so comfy, I love it! We were going to buy a new sofa, and decided not to, have poang chair too.

Danae Sat 30-Jun-07 00:31:19

Message withdrawn

AlwaysWatchingCastawayAt2am Sat 30-Jun-07 01:00:09

hear hear for old stuff and reusing. it's the future....

KittenKat Sat 30-Jun-07 06:12:28

Morning!
We have/had a storage chest (lovely, indian wood, with elephants around the side) as a coffee table for ages, and also doubled as good storage for dvds, playing cards, majong set etc,but well could be used for lots of other things. That would be a good multi-use of space/furnitire. Although now its in the hallway with baby toys in, as it has sharp corners and is quite large.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Danae Sat 30-Jun-07 11:47:31

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now