Talk

Advanced search

Anyone Shop At ALDI?

(37 Posts)
jinxed Thu 28-Jun-07 12:04:14

Im considering shopping at Aldi this coming month to see if it reduces the food bill!

Anyone already shop there and think its great, or anyone had any bad experiences?

All advice welcome!

lulumama Thu 28-Jun-07 12:05:16

yes, it is fantastic

if you have a Lidl that is cheaper again !!

absolutely love it

whomovedmychocolate Thu 28-Jun-07 12:06:13

It's good for some things. I go there when we are having parties because they seem to sell a good selection of nibbley things.

Whoooosh Thu 28-Jun-07 12:07:31

You will spend less becasue there is far less choice.
Some things are great and others very average.

OrmIrian Thu 28-Jun-07 12:07:31

Great for some stuff. I tend to do my main shop online. Then go to Aldi for top ups. You can't guarantee they'll have everything all the time.

jinxed Thu 28-Jun-07 12:08:19

Thanks, nearest Lidl is 15 miles away, and the Aldi has only opened up in the last 3 weeks.

Went today for milk, but the kids were playing up and couldnt pay enough attention to prices/quality.

We are doing first shop tomorrow!

Its just the basics we need, fruit/veg/salad/juice etc

nailpolish Thu 28-Jun-07 12:09:31

make a list and do menu planning (strict as yo like) and thatll reduce the bills even more

PartyClown Thu 28-Jun-07 12:10:13

There are 7 of us, and I always shop at Aldi. I find the quality of the food is fine, MUCH better than the Tesco value range which is about the same price. You will find you save a lot of money if you stay away from the special offers.

lulumama Thu 28-Jun-07 12:10:48

toiletries, napppies and wipes are good, and well priced too

excellent for snacky stuff, fruit and veg not always brilliant, but well priced, juice is good, and other basics, like pasta, cheese, butter, eggs....

bananabump Thu 28-Jun-07 12:11:04

Yeah, aldi's good, it's arguable whether their stuff is any better or worse value than asda's economy ranges. Aldi is really good for stocking up on canned food, biscuits and chocolate, toilet paper, cheap booze and things they can't get wrong like bread and milk, yoghurts/yoghurt drinks and their fresh flowers are very cheap and usually nice. Their frozen pasta ready meals are great too.

I'm not as impressed with some of their frozen foods such as waffles, breaded fish, garlic bread etc, they just don't seem to be as high quality as what you'd expect from another supermarket. Plus they don't have everything I want whereas you know asda will have three types of everything.

We do an aldi shop about once a month to stock up on things, then go to asda to buy quorn/veggie meat replacment stuff, and other frozen bits.

jinxed Thu 28-Jun-07 12:12:37

WE are going to the butchers for a freezer fill so no need to worry about meat.

Im willing to give it a go - £60 a week at the moment for me and DH and 2 toddlers is far too much in my eyes, especially when there is usually a freezer full of stuff!

nailpolish Thu 28-Jun-07 12:14:23

menuplanning thread

jinxed Thu 28-Jun-07 12:15:25

ARGHHH Your link doesnt work naily!

NuttyMuffins Thu 28-Jun-07 12:16:05

Yep, do some shopping there and if I had a car i'd do it all there.

Only thing that is crap is their washing up liqued.

nailpolish Thu 28-Jun-07 12:18:42

hang on..

nailpolish Thu 28-Jun-07 12:21:36

oh bugger i cant link it

go to search for messages and type in menu planning recipes

hth

Wisteria Thu 28-Jun-07 12:22:06

I have been using Aldi for about a yr - always found their fresh fruit and veg really good but they use too much packaging which irritates me. Have organic delivery now of fruit and veg which feeds the four of us (£22.14 per week).

Bread is excellent, as are the toiletries, tinned stuff, biscuits, pastas etc and I prefer their facial wipes to others. the 5 bar chocolate for 99p is too good to be true and tastes like galaxy
Meatballs and all the precooked meats are really good but I would avoid the fresh meat like the plague, full of water and dubious taste IMHO.
Cheese is good value, especially the feta and I like all their dairy stuff
I think their alcohol is well priced. The frozen sole and tuna is great value and we like their frozen deep pan pizzas (Carlos) but can't vouch for any other frozen stuff

nailpolish Thu 28-Jun-07 12:25:06

actually i have mellowmas famous menu planner, i could email it to you if you like?

jinxed Thu 28-Jun-07 12:25:43

naily, would love it. jinxedmn@yahoo.co.uk if you dont mind!

Am off to search the archives!

nailpolish Thu 28-Jun-07 12:31:50

ok done

nailpolish Thu 28-Jun-07 12:33:22

ok done

bananabump Thu 28-Jun-07 13:23:22

Message withdrawn

cat64 Thu 28-Jun-07 13:55:34

Message withdrawn

nailpolish Thu 28-Jun-07 18:30:23

done, bananabump

sniff Thu 28-Jun-07 18:32:32

I dont nuy food from there but there cleaning stuff power force is great

My friend is a buyer for aldi and she says that the food is great she hets to test it before it goes on the shelves

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now