Talk

Advanced search

How to de-stink bibs?

(13 Posts)
DrWhy Tue 04-Dec-18 15:18:27

I have a 2 year old DS who we still put a bib on for meals - especially messy ones. The bibs we use are these https://www.babipur.co.uk/baby-essentials/coverall-bibs-baby-led-weaning/pop-in-stage-4-coverall-2018.html and they work really well, cover him up and he likes choosing which pattern to wear.
However, I have got into the habit of taking them off him after dinner, putting them in a box on the kitchen counter with the resuable wipes and washing the lot when the box is full. Unfortunately this means they have ended up really stinky, I guess it’s because they are left mucky and festering in a plastic box for several days. I wash them with the dettol laundry santiser stuff abc it doesn’t help at all.
I can change the way I store them going forwards but for now I just need to deal with the smell! They can only be washed at 40 according to the label so a really hot wash is out. Could I soak them in something like Milton without ruining them do you think? They are blinking expensive so I’d like to keep them and use for DD if possible!

peachgreen Tue 04-Dec-18 15:32:52

I do mine in a hot wash and they're fine.

shouldidoitspoilt Tue 04-Dec-18 15:35:23

Biological detergent
Laundry cleanser
&
Frangrance boosting pebble things

DrWhy Tue 04-Dec-18 15:38:27

@peachgreen - are they the same ones? How hot do you go?!
@shouldidoitspoilt I forgot to mention that I do already use bio detergent as well as the dettol, I’ll hunt for the pebbles you suggested. Thanks.

dementedpixie Tue 04-Dec-18 15:42:55

Napisan?

shouldidoitspoilt Tue 04-Dec-18 15:47:50

They are amazing one second I'll link you

Was a game changer for my sons bibs which smelt of milk

Also do you wash at at least 40 x

shouldidoitspoilt Tue 04-Dec-18 15:49:16

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/lenor-unstoppables-in-wash-scent-booster-fresh-285g/p/0476174?nst=0&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrfAh8OG3wIVY7HtCh3uNwUqEAQYASABEgIYAPDD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Here's a link to the product
Can buy in ocado etc Asda Tesco

Also are you using a biological powder or liquid? I find powder so much better

If you get desperate you could put them into the container but fill it with water and zofolora so they sit in a zofolora solution until you can wash them

GummyGoddess Tue 04-Dec-18 16:04:38

Hot wash isn't any good with biological powder as the enzymes don't work at those temperatures.

DrWhy Tue 04-Dec-18 16:07:10

Brilliant! Thanks, I’ll try that. Washed at 40 at the moment, using capsules as our machine seems to be rubbish at dispensing powder from the drawer, it just gets wet and stuck! Might be better if I risked a hotter wash.... I could do a test on one.
I have only heard of zoflora on Mumsnet! I’ll have to hunt some down and give it a try.

DrWhy Tue 04-Dec-18 16:09:12

Hmm, yes good point on bio powder and hot wash! I’ll maybe try bio powder rather than liquid and separately try a hot wash - something must work, they are revolting at the moment, DS has started trying to take them off and I don’t blame him!

GummyGoddess Tue 04-Dec-18 16:11:15

I have found that leaving things outside on the line to get wet and dry from rain repeatedly really helps.

DrWhy Tue 04-Dec-18 16:22:24

I could give the line a try but this mornings frost hasn’t melted yet so I suspect that there’s no chance of it getting dry - I wonder if freezing would help?!

mommybear1 Wed 05-Dec-18 15:01:45

Hi we had this I found the only way was to wash them after each use with napisan - I have a 40 degree quick wash on my machine which is 15 mins long I pop a couple of other bits in and that's job done.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: