Talk

Advanced search

How do you keep house smelling clean when you have a dog??

(16 Posts)
fifisworld Wed 20-Jun-07 10:21:00

Ive just got a boxer puppy and im not used to the house smelling of animals.
We are living in a flat atm for the next 2 weeks so i cant leave back door open but have windows open, been spraying oust and bleaching floors and keeping the house as clean as i can.
Theres always the smell of the dog though.
Is there anything that you can do or will i have to just put up with it until we move and he can go out??

KerryMum Wed 20-Jun-07 10:21:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fifisworld Wed 20-Jun-07 10:23:31

He cant go outside yet as he hasnt had his 2nd injections so needs to stay in for another week, plus we dont have a garden until we move in about 2 weeks.

AngharadGoldenhand Wed 20-Jun-07 10:23:33

Wash the dog.

hercules1 Wed 20-Jun-07 10:26:28

I have 3 and we only let them in to certain rooms and have no carpet downstairs. I mop with vinegar and lemon juice and spray oust.

flibbertyjibbet Wed 20-Jun-07 10:27:39

If you are that worried about smells then get rid of the dog....
even when they can go outside they still make the house smell when they come in, specially when wet, urgh.
When you get back to a house, get an outdoor kennel and let the dog live outside, its what they would do naturally, their coats grow thicker to compensate.
mmm I'm thinking of your garden full of dog poo.

CountessDracula Wed 20-Jun-07 10:28:10

do you have carpets?
they are nono with dog

fifisworld Wed 20-Jun-07 10:30:05

I dont want to get rid of him, just wondered what people do who have dogs to keep the house still smelling clean. I know that when we are in the house i can leave the back door open and we wont have carpet downstairs.
I will also be getting a dog crate when we move so he will be trained to stay in there when we are out.

Speccy Wed 20-Jun-07 10:36:22

fifisworld Wed 20-Jun-07 10:39:25

Thanks speccy, he hasnt been weeing as much and has started to go to his paper today when he wants the toilet. It will be ok next week when he can go out.

Speccy Wed 20-Jun-07 10:53:49

snugglebumnappies Wed 20-Jun-07 11:01:41

no carpets in the rooms the dog is allowed in, which is all of downstairs for us, he isn't allowed on the furniture, was his bedding regularly as already said and he will be less 'wiffy" when he gets regular walks

Browny Wed 20-Jun-07 11:04:53

Hi, we got our puppy last November and had a lot of the usual puddles on the carpet, I found that this product, 'Pet Odour remover' made by Johnson's was really good - I buy it from my local pet shop. I also invested in a carpet washer machine (I needed it anyway with four kiddies!). I regularly wash her bedding and bath her when she needs it .

pigleto Wed 20-Jun-07 11:17:24

I babysat for a friend last night and her house reeks of dog. It is only a tiny little thing though and all the floors are travatine and the sofas are leather. I think you just stop noticing it after a while if you are a dog owner. I like dogs but am put off by the poo in the garden issue.

magnolia1 Wed 20-Jun-07 11:21:06

A bath is ok but not too often, also a puppy can have quiet a distinctive smell almost like a baby but not as nice

When my dog had puppies I hated their smell but my adult dogs don't smell at all (unless they have rolled in fox poo!)

Don't panic to much about it until you move, then kitchen floor bleached at night, garden kept clear of poo! If still weeing on carpet a good cleaner for pet odours.

We have carpets and dogs and the carpets don't smell at all but they are only in here in the evening.

AlwaysTheMummy Wed 20-Jun-07 17:20:24

We got our dog a few months ago and I don't think our house smells of dog (my mum would def comment if it did, lol) we did have a carpet in the dining room but when she was completely house trained we got rid of it and got laminate flooring, she is only allowed in the dining room and kitchen but as we always sit in the dining room she is always with us. she gets groomed and bathed as often as needed and with regards to the poo in the garden, we have a patio area which is fenced off from the garden and she does her business on the patio which is cleaned down every day, she is allowed in the garden in the evening but never does her business on the grass. I must say that Oust is a godsend and should be in everybodies cupboard, lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now