Talk

Advanced search

Getting rid of one thing a day decluttering challenge Part 5

(783 Posts)
StealthNinjaMum Mon 01-Oct-18 17:18:30

We’re still here!

For 4 threads a group of mumsnetters have been getting rid of just one thing a day. We’ve been throwing out, selling, recycling and giving our stuff away.

But we're still not finished.

Newbies are always welcome to join us. Just get rid of one thing each day and come back here to discuss your progress and get support when it gets hard.

Previous thread here www.mumsnet.com/Talk/housekeeping/3298777-Getting-rid-of-one-thing-a-day-decluttering-challenge-Part-4?msgid=81434878

SandAndSea Mon 01-Oct-18 18:15:39

Yaay!! I love it when we start a new thread! grin

StealthNinjaMum Mon 01-Oct-18 18:16:51

@SandAndSea were you with me on the first thread? When will it ever end? grin

SandAndSea Mon 01-Oct-18 18:20:45

@StealthNinjaMum - Yes, I was there. Good times! grin

se22mother Mon 01-Oct-18 18:22:55

Place marking to remember to get back into the way of this

GirlfriendInAKorma Mon 01-Oct-18 21:02:10

Checking in for decluttering duty <salutes>

70isaLimitNotaTarget Mon 01-Oct-18 21:32:39

We took 2 bags of clothes+ a binbag of DH coats+ some boxes to the Charity Shop.

Need to buy DD some new winter bedding so I'll recycle her old ones (not sure how useable they are , bit pilled )

Chesterfieldsofa Mon 01-Oct-18 21:34:04

Even if it's completely knackered animal charities will always take bedding.

Gibble1 Mon 01-Oct-18 23:00:41

I’m still here. Swapped some stuff today so some out and some in.
Also sold 3 mugs and a bottle today so that’s good 😀

SpoonBlender Mon 01-Oct-18 23:05:41

Full Ikea bag of clothes and a metre of books to the charideees today.

@Chesterfieldsofa Genius! I had no idea.

PawneeParksDept Mon 01-Oct-18 23:46:57

I'm joining if I may so much to declutter threw out loads yesterday and today and so much to get rid of. I moved at the start of the year and still have stuff in boxes due to storage issues. Chuck time!

Lemontwist Tue 02-Oct-18 09:22:28

Thanks for the welcome @StealthNinjaMum

I've got 14 listings due to finish on ebay today. Most have bids so I'll try to package them and get them out this afternoon. Oh how I wish I had staggered them over several days grin

Oh and the middle child needs loads of bits for a junk modelling project at school tomorrow. Fine by me as the recycling bin is full to bursting so that gets more out if the house.

StealthNinjaMum Tue 02-Oct-18 09:28:31

Welcome pawneeparksdept. It took me ten years to unpack from when we moved which is why I've been on this thread for over a year

I stated on the last thread that today I would put away my pile of rubbish on the stairs and take four bags to a charity of shop. I'm off to do that. I'm also going to put some things for sale on Facebook, think i have some jigsaws and toys and I am going to carry on sorting through arts and crafts and stationery.

PenelopeFlintstone Tue 02-Oct-18 09:59:35

Hello. Just checking in. A school hat went to the car boot today.

ememem84 Tue 02-Oct-18 10:28:20

Hey! Just wrote a post on the old thread....and was then directed over here.

Gist of old post was:

Have got rid of loads of stuff recently (envelopes paperwork packaging etc) and am moving house so will have all of our stuff from storage, stuff from dparents house stuff from fils house etc to go through and keep/chuck/charity/sell as applicable.

WhenDoISleep Tue 02-Oct-18 11:03:17

Just logging my presence on the new thread. I had a lovely weekend away and met some MNetters at the Woolly Hugs meet up on Sunday.

No much happened over the weekend or yesterday. I sold 1 thing on eBay last night (actually 2 things as it was a pair of shoes and a bag) and 1 thing has just sold about an hour ago, so I am just going to parcel them up and get them posted off. Somewhat annoyingly our lovely local Post Office is closed for refurbishment for most of the month. I also have a couple of online shopping returns to send, so will sort those at the same time.

When I get back I think I'm going to make a start on the living room as it is depressing sitting in here at night at the moment.

PawneeParksDept Tue 02-Oct-18 13:12:41

Managed to do one bag for the bin and two for the charity shop today.

Question : I seem to have amassed a storage box full of "memory" items, stuff that has no real place but stuff I'm loathe to throw out as well eg

Little packets of old photos from school/uni
Trophies
My childhood ted fallen to bits
My dissertation
Old private letters

Stuff like that

Any better way of storing such things without it being random clutter ?

ememem84 Tue 02-Oct-18 14:43:45

Could you scan the scannables in and keep ted in a box?

Hatstand Tue 02-Oct-18 14:59:17

Ooh can I join please? I am working my way through the room of doom aka my office which is so full of junk it does not function as an office, aka DD's future bedroom.

gassylady Tue 02-Oct-18 15:02:07

Found yougrin That bag has finally got to charity shop. Another eBay parcel posted and will prepare another batch of listings later. Going in to tackle the heap of junk in the hallway. Lord knows what’s in there

PawneeParksDept Tue 02-Oct-18 15:03:56

@ememem84 I might have been able to if I hadn't just chucked my scanner 😂

I need a new laptop in the near future but perhaps when I've got one.

SandAndSea Tue 02-Oct-18 15:06:12

@Hatstand - Welcome! smile

@PawneeParksDept - You could definitely scan things in and could even photograph ted but it's up to you how far you take the minimising of things. I think it's nice to have some stuff to look back on, but only if it feels good to you.

PawneeParksDept Tue 02-Oct-18 15:09:21

@SandAndSea I chucked my scanner YESTERDAY

I mean I'm not going full Kondo but I'm definitely adopting the principle

PawneeParksDept Tue 02-Oct-18 15:11:41

Is there anyone else including deleting stuff off their Sky Box as part of their declutter ? grin

ememem84 Tue 02-Oct-18 15:15:46

Haha pawnee yep. Anything that frees up space.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: