Talk

Advanced search

Getting kids to tidy up

(13 Posts)
BrutusMcDogface Sat 11-Aug-18 12:09:47

How do you do it?!

We have drawers for each type of toy. Wardrobes for clothes etc etc.

Yet every time I try and get them to tidy up their own mess it's like getting blood out of a stone.

Help! Any magic tricks that will help?!

Goosegettingfat Sat 11-Aug-18 16:42:10

Yes! I like to think of myself as fairly middle- of-the-road as far as tv is concerned. Here, tv is permitted generally from about 4:30 in winter/ 5:00 in summer (ie to allow me to cook in peace). At this time I say to my 2: "please put away 30 things each in their correct places and then you may watch Telly." I generally do a brief inspection before I agree to the tv going on.

BrutusMcDogface Sun 12-Aug-18 19:31:56

Thanks, goose! I can definitely try that! smile

cleancleanclean Sun 12-Aug-18 21:30:06

How old are your children?

BrutusMcDogface Mon 13-Aug-18 20:41:36

The oldest is 8, clean! Plenty old enough, in other words.....

cleancleanclean Fri 17-Aug-18 12:17:19

Hmm, 8 is old enough to help but also old enough to be a right pain in the arse! I think you've got two options - either out your foot down and say now they are old enough to help, so these are the jobs they have to do daily, this is the time they have to do it in, and this is the consequence for not doing it (no tv etc), or...bribery. Good luck! Your kids will likely be someone's DH some day. It's worth the battle now imo.

cleancleanclean Fri 17-Aug-18 12:21:42

To speed them up, you could identify a time of day that they get to do something they want, eg 6.30-7pm is computer time. Get a whiteboard pen and colour in that time in the clock so they can see where it begins and ends. Then give them a list of jobs they have to do - eg all toys in boxes. They start cleaning at 6.30 and once they have cleaned up they get to spend the rest of the time on the computer (or whatever). Be consistent every day, and they will hopefully soon learn not to dawdle!

elliejjtiny Fri 17-Aug-18 12:29:51

We have tidying hour in our house, followed by tv time. The person who I think makes the most effort gets the remote control grin

NoSquirrels Fri 17-Aug-18 12:32:59

The person who I think makes the most effort gets the remote control

Oh! Evil genius. I love it.

tobee Fri 17-Aug-18 12:47:08

Yes I'd like to know this too! Mine are 23 and 19

Marmaladegin Fri 17-Aug-18 19:14:10

😂😂😂

MessySurfaces Sun 19-Aug-18 10:06:04

@tobee noooooo! I have toddlers- you are meant to be telling us soothingly than now they cook you lovely meals, do all the housework and facilitate you having glorious long lie ins. Tell us there IS light at the end of the housework tunnel!!!

BrutusMcDogface Sun 19-Aug-18 18:43:27

I've just seen the latest replies! Thank you! I bought a small bit of plastic tat for each kid as a bribe to tidy their rooms; one out of three has earned the right to own his tat. It's a start!?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: