Talk

Advanced search

Pantry advice please?

(13 Posts)
NomsQualityStreets Sat 09-Jun-18 10:03:12

Having our cellar tanked out to add a bit of extra room/storage to our rather small house.

It's a small arched cellar so doesn't have lots of room but enough for shelving on one side.
One thing that's going down there is a tumble dryer as we don't have room for one anywhere else in the house and since its old and stone come winter time clothes take days to dry and we always fall behind with the washing.

We will also be storing rice as we buy it in 5 or 10kg bags and one of those bags is currently residing in the kitchen under the dining table.

What other things are good to store in a small pantry/cellar? Is there a system that works well?
Is it worth bulk buying stuff like cans, dog food, general non perishables and just doing a big shop for them every, let's say 3 months or so and just having to top up fresh shopping weekly?
(If it helps There's 4 of us including 2 under 3s and and a dog.)

Any insight welcome!

MikeUniformMike Sun 10-Jun-18 17:30:33

Won't the tumble dryer make it warm?
Warm and damp air isn't ideal for storing food.
I wouldn't buy too much in bulk.
I'd love a pantry.

Aprilshouldhavebeenmyname Sun 10-Jun-18 17:34:14

Our pantry is off the kitchen, took the door off and repainted it to match the kitchen a bit more!! Got lots of red baskets and filed lots away!!
Extra pans etc in there and all the gadgets that never get used!

user1494670108 Sun 10-Jun-18 17:35:08

I have a freezer in my cellar and shelving, I shop at Costco and buy trays of tinned tomatoes, sweet corn, beans and tomato soup and also cereal is stored down then as well as drinks as it's always nice and cool

gillyweed Sun 10-Jun-18 17:47:03

We have a huge cellar but it's not tanked, is a bit damp but very cool.

I have 2 sets of metal racking. I keep lots of kitchen equipment that I use rarely down there; so cake tins, paella pans, flan trays, cupcake tins etc. We also keep wine and mixers down there. Also kitchen equipment that's used once in a blue moon: ice cream maker, spializer, lolly makers etc. All that's on one. On the other I keep food stuffs: pasta, tins, jars and vacuum packed items (mainly bread.) Jams, drinks and chutneys ive made. - all the food is usually backups for stuff we use lots of so doesn't sit did there long.

Our cellar is not dry enough to keep 'open' food in, it would go damp and definitely attract mice. It does mean I can make or buy in bulk if in jars/tins/packets but I use it more for storage so that there is more space in my kitchen cupboards.

gillyweed Sun 10-Jun-18 17:48:04

Sorry that did have paragraphs... don't know what happened!

Also great for freezer, maiden, washer and a dehumidifier!

NomsQualityStreets Mon 11-Jun-18 08:37:59

@MikeUniformMike I don't really know if the tumble dryer will make it warm. We're getting a condenser one and we desperately need it though so I don't think it would affect the decision to get one.

The extra pots and pans is a good idea!
We will also be keeping wines and drinks down there. DP is even considering a mini drinks fridge/cooler for the corner but not sure if it'll fit.

MessySurfaces Wed 13-Jun-18 10:26:42

The time dryer will definitely generate a fair bit of heat, so
It may well end up quite cozy...

chloechloe Wed 13-Jun-18 19:20:09

We have 3 rooms in our cellar (we live in Germany where this is pretty common) and I love it!

IKEA do great cheap and functional shelving which I measured out so it fills pretty much a whole wall up to the ceiling. We then store non perishable food (pasta, rice, coffee, tinned tomatoes, tuna, beans etc). We also buy loo roll, kitchen roll, washing powder etc in bulk so we only need to get fresh food in the weekly shop. I also buy nappies and wipes in bulk from Amazon Family which are down there.

butterfly990 Wed 13-Jun-18 19:35:15

i have a humidity detecting extractor fan in my utility/pantry. www.epicair.co.uk/bathroom-extractor-fans/humidistat.html

I have also narrow wall shelving to accommodate shampoo etc, tins, ...

mozzybites Sun 17-Jun-18 03:45:45

I had a tiny room off my kitchen that had a tumble dryer in and it got damp and warm. Ideally pantries want to be cool and dry. You should be able to store China and pans easily enough.

orangeblosssom Sun 17-Jun-18 16:31:00

Extra pans etc in there and all the gadgets that never get used!

I would keep the pantry tidy and not keep pans and gadgets I don't use. It's better to give these items to charity. Otherwise the pantry will become
a dumping ground.
Also it's better not to buy in bulk. Only buy things you need as you go along. Every thing you need can be bought in the shops. We don't have to store up for a sudden nuclear war/ emergency.
I like the whole minimalist approach to things.

PillowMuncher Mon 18-Jun-18 05:45:44

If it's not too damp you could store toilet rolls down there. I always like to be well stocked up on those!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: