Talk

Advanced search

how to remove 'fragrance' from dry clean only fabric???

(13 Posts)
newtlover Thu 07-Jun-18 19:41:28

was feeling very pleased with myself- I bought (in a charity shop) a Liberty silk scarf to tie around my (also from a charity shop) straw hat. Its label says silk, dry clean only- it's a very loose weave coarse silk if you can imagine that, a creamy colour with reddy browny floral design. It's actually nicer than it sounds!
Anyway I wore it on the hat for a few hours before tracing the source of the overpwering perfume that was following me round shock- the smell also transferred to the dress I was wearing. It's very strong and I guess is some kind of fabric conditioner.
I have hung it in the sunshine for 48 hrs, no improvement.
I'm reluctant to wash it as I have ruined a few dry clean only items that way.
Any ideas?

LoniceraJaponica Thu 07-Jun-18 19:43:16

As it was a charity shop buy I would have risked hand washing it. Could you not do this?

newtlover Thu 07-Jun-18 19:43:26

have to pop out now- look forward to your ems of wisdom later! TIA

newtlover Thu 07-Jun-18 19:43:44

gah
gems

MikeUniformMike Thu 07-Jun-18 19:50:56

It's a bugger to get out. My first thought was hanging it outside. I would try spraying it with white vinegar spray and hanging outside again.
I hate the smell and it seems to be on a lot of charity shop things.

newtlover Thu 07-Jun-18 20:56:50

normally I would risk washing it but it's exactly right for what I need- it's the loose weave that bothers me, when I've washed that sort of fabric before it has kind of shrunk
white vinegar spray sounds promising

MarsBarsAreShrinking Thu 07-Jun-18 22:13:05

Yes, white vinegar (I would go with a 50/50 mix with water). I scrubbed my dog's bed yesterday for the first time in too long and while it came up nice and clean it was still a bit doggy smelling. Gave it a good spray with the vinegar/water mix and put it outside in the sun for a few hours. It literally smells of nothing now. Hugely impressed!

newtlover Mon 11-Jun-18 23:02:17

well, I tried this.....many times....still smells sad
what shall I do wise ones?

dontticklethetoad Mon 11-Jun-18 23:04:39

Could you try steaming it? Or rubbing bicarb powder over it?

stormymcstormface Mon 11-Jun-18 23:08:42

Febreeze?

MarsBarsAreShrinking Tue 12-Jun-18 08:24:29

Blimey. Must be some sort of super strength fabric conditioner!

As PP said, try bicarb... lie it flat in the bath or similar; sprinkle plenty on and leave it for a bit before gently rubbing it in. Got to be worth a try.

newtlover Wed 13-Jun-18 18:43:32

am currently soaking it in a roughly 1:4 vinegar/water solution
fingers crossed

MaybeDoctor Wed 13-Jun-18 18:45:28

If you are soaking it, just go the whole hog and wash it!

I machine-washed my wedding dress, you know...grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: