Talk

Advanced search

How many hours do you clean?

(18 Posts)
Colbu24 Wed 16-May-18 17:21:59

Our house it's normally visitor ready. Always tidy but I can't say is pristine. I like to have it clutter free as much as possible but it's so hard.
How do other people do it? How often and for how long do you have to clean to keep the house clean?

WheelyCote Wed 16-May-18 17:51:44

Watching with interest

BlueTrousers Wed 16-May-18 17:53:35

All day every day it feels like 😏

MeanTangerine Wed 16-May-18 17:56:54

We have a cleaner who does kitchen/bathroom/hoovering once a week. I do a quick pick-up the night before they come - half an hour or so. Cleaning the kitchen each day after cooking - fifteen minutes? We try to put things away as we go so it doesn't normally get too bad. I might give the bathroom a quick swizz with a wipe if people were coming round. After that, it's just washing/ironing really (only iron necessities though, e. g. work shirts). No small children or hairy pets though.

Bobbybobbins Wed 16-May-18 18:00:26

Same as you almost exactly Tangerine though I do have messy small children. House is pretty messy the days we are at home but have a quick tidy round at night. Cleaner for 1 hour a week.

mookinsx Wed 16-May-18 20:56:52

I don't have kids (what am I even doing on Mumsnet!!) but I spend my Saturdays doing everything. Washing up as and when each evening.
Then I relax and don't worry all week and reclean at the weekend. If an accident happens (spilt drink etc) I'll obvs clean it then but otherwise my kid free (currently) life is rather clean

MarsBarsAreShrinking Wed 16-May-18 21:22:01

It's ongoing and never ending... I'd say at least 2 hours a day and even then, it never seems spotless to me. I don't think it helps that we both work from home, have 1 messy dog and 2 messy teens. I have very high standards but sadly I'm the only one. It feels sometimes like however much I do it's never enough <sigh>.

I have a friend who's house is always 100% immaculate; you will never find so much as a speck of dust or a pet hair anywhere (and she has a LOT of pets). I asked her recently how much cleaning she actually does and was a bit stunned at her answer of between 5 and 7 hours a day.

mimibunz Wed 16-May-18 21:23:35

Clean, eh? Not familiar with that word.

dudsville Wed 16-May-18 21:29:33

We're visitor ready because I'm comfortable with it like that and am uncomfortable sitting around when there's a job to be done. I spend about 5 hours weekly on the big clean (I work hard and fast and build up a sweat - i treat it as exercise! ) and then maybe 20 min daily. If I take a break from this routine then the house can quickly go to pot. For instance, the shower screen done weekly takes only a few minutes. Done after 2 or 3 weeks it becomes a 20 min job.

Voice0fReason Wed 16-May-18 22:15:07

I just don't feel the need to have the house looking perfect - I prefer the comfy lived in look.
Kitchen gets a 10 minute once over every day with a deeper clean once a week.
Bathrooms get a quick wipe over daily as needed with a proper clean weekly.
Rest of the house dust and hoover as and when.
So probably a couple of hours a week in total.
No young kids or mucky pets.

PrincessoftheSea Wed 16-May-18 22:24:28

🤪at 5-7 hours cleaning daily in your own house. She should be a cleaner and get paid for it!

I clean 5 hours once a week and probably 30 minutes daily kitchen and general tidy.

RoseMartha Sun 20-May-18 22:25:15

About two hours spread over the week plus laundry jobs on top of that. Laundry including sorting, to getting stains off kids clothes to stuffing in machine, hanging up wet stuff and and folding and ironing and putting away probably will be another two hours a week on top of the cleaning.

TwigTheWonderKid Sun 20-May-18 22:47:24

I spend 1.5 hours each Monday thoroughly cleaning downstairs, 30-ish mins on a Wednesday doing a quick clean downstairs and 2 hours on Fridays doing bedrooms, landings, stairs and bathroom. We spend about 5 mins a day tidying up and obviously wipe kitchen worktops and hob every day.

WipsGlitter Mon 21-May-18 05:47:17

I got a cleaner because it was stressing me out! They come on a Friday. In between we keep it reasonably tidy.

Mominatrix Mon 21-May-18 05:58:59

I have a low tolerance for dirt and mess and so have a cleaner 3 times a week for my sanity. On days she is not here, I hoover, clean the kitchen, runs the laundry machine and dryer, and tidy. Probably takes me a bit over and hour a day.

MaverickSnoopy Mon 21-May-18 06:33:30

It's not show home clean but it's mostly visitor ready. Try to tidy as we go along and always tidy the lounge in the evening when the children have gone to bed. Cleaning jobs get done on rotation throughout the week. Probably spend about an hour a day cleaning and 20 mins tidying. I also have 3 grades of cleaning. 1) deep clean which is rare and usually in the school hols, 2) normal clean which is to a good standard but not as clean as I would like it (ie deep clean) and 3) quick wipe over which is acceptable if cleaning has happened earlier in the week and say a visitor is coming the next day.

House isn't always 100% ready. For example have visitor today - house tidy and clean but lounge needs a hoover. Hoover is currently out ready for when children are ready for school and I will hoover before we go.

I am also not immune to the mess of children. Yesterday I cleaned the kitchen and when I emerged the lounge was trashed. That was fun.

AgedTawnyPort Mon 21-May-18 06:43:09

Hard to say. Our biggest mess comes from having a hairy dog.

Kitchen is cleaned after each use and always clean. Downstairs gets vacuumed most days, kitchen floor mopped a couple of times a week. Dusting maybe once a week. Bathroom sinks/toilets wiped daily. Shower cleaned a couple of times a week when we are in it.

We have got three reception rooms, one of them is always pristine.

I am on the look out for a cleaner after being let down but I reckon three or four hours most weeks between me & DH. Not including things like cleaning the inside of the windows or changing beds.

DH does the laundry.

The worst job is vacuuming the stairs as we have got two big staircases.

Fintress Mon 21-May-18 06:45:09

I don't have kids (what am I even doing on Mumsnet!!)
grin

I have no idea. There is only the two of us, we're really tidy (husband more so!). I generally do something everyday so it seems like no time at all. But I'm SAHW and have plenty of time on my hands.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: