Talk

Advanced search

Washing not smelling fresh

(27 Posts)
GypsieQueen Sun 11-Feb-18 12:07:03

Hi, for the past week or so, I've noticed my washing hasn't smelt fresh when I get it out the machine, but instead smells a bit stale, like when you leave wet washing for some time without hanging it to dry.

I've got a Zanussi Lindo300 machine with a 10kg drum and it's just over a year old. I've used Dr Beckmann washing machine cleaner and it made no difference. I've also tried reducing the load and also trying a different brand of detergent (I normally use Bold liquitabs), but again it didn't make a difference.

There isn't a filter on the machine but in the user manual it tells you how to clean the inlet hose and valve filter, which I've never done before on any other machine. I'm wondering if maybe the hose is blocked or something, but I'm not strong enough to pull the machine out to have a look and don't have anyone who could help. I'll try to contact Zanussi tomorrow to see if they can advise, but in the meantime, does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem might be?

Thank you.

noenergy Sun 11-Feb-18 12:49:54

Put on an empty wash at high temp with a cup of vinegar or you can get washing machine cleaners like calgon.

Ours was horrible for weeks after moving into rented accommodation that had been empty for a few months.

dementedpixie Sun 11-Feb-18 18:53:23

Clean out the dispenser drawer and the bit it fits into. Run a hot wash. Use powder instead of liquid/ liquitabs

wowfudge Sun 11-Feb-18 19:06:27

It's probably the liquitabs causing the machine to smell - they don't contain the bleaching agents powder does so the bacteria in the machine don't get killed off. If it's the first time you've used a machine cleaner, it may have loosened but not eliminated any gunk in there. Definitely try another maintenance wash with either vinegar or soda crystals on the longest, hottest wash possible.

GypsieQueen Tue 13-Feb-18 20:41:41

Thank you all for your advice. I have tried all that you have suggested but still no improvement. I've also noticed that the fabric conditioner tray isn't emptying so I suspect there might be a blockage somewhere. I'm trying to get hold of a washing machine repair man to have a look at it.

dementedpixie Tue 13-Feb-18 20:44:35

Did you take the drawer out and clean the roof of the bit it fits into? I use an old toothbrush and bleach spray as it gets manky and mouldy

ZanussiUK Thu 15-Feb-18 16:10:19

Hello GypsieQueen

The great advice you’ve received from members of this community will help with the issues you are experiencing with your Zanussi Lindo300 Washing Machine.

To eliminate unwanted odours, we recommend running a maintenance wash at 90°C in your Zanussi Lindo300 Washing Machine and adding a scoop of biological detergent to the drawer. For a machine that has never performed a maintenance wash it may require several maintenance washes or even the addition of a descaling washing machine cleaner to ensure you get the best results.

Your fabric conditioner tray may not be emptying due to a build-up of fabric detergent blocking the jets on the roof of the drawer cavity. We recommend using a toothbrush and a kitchen cleaning spray to remove the blockage.

To keep your washing machine in good working order we encourage periodic maintenance washes, and detergent drawer cleaning. For any further assistance with your Zanussi washing machine, please call our dedicated Consumer Care team on 03445 612 612 or alternatively you can find some useful information in the user manual.

eurgh2018 Thu 15-Feb-18 16:11:49

I had this when I used liquitabs and it didn't matter what brand, since I switched back to loose powder it hasn't happened

e1y1 Fri 16-Feb-18 13:04:41

Wow, never seen a manufacturer come on to comment before.

Laucu Fri 16-Feb-18 14:30:07

I used to have this problem when I used non bio but it's stopped since I switched to bio.

Another thing worth checking is if you're using the right amount of detergent for your load and water. I live in a very hard water area so bung in 100g of soda crystals to each wash, then use the dosage for a soft water area.

SneakyGremlins Fri 16-Feb-18 14:32:43

I know you've tried one, but have you tried a different cleaner? I use the dettol one, Beckmann's didn't work for me.

GypsieQueen Mon 19-Feb-18 21:42:03

Dear all thank you all for your advice and the advice from the manufacturer. I cleaned out the tray for the conditioner and there was no build up of conditioner in there, it was pretty clean, so no problem there. I have done a couple of washes using powder and noticed the washing smells a bit fresher, but the problem is that the tray containing conditioner isn't emptying, which means the washing comes out rock hard. I will call the manufacturer about this.

dementedpixie Mon 19-Feb-18 21:44:29

Did you check the roof bit of the compartment?

GypsieQueen Mon 19-Feb-18 21:48:16

Yes, I checked the roof and it was fine.

wowfudge Mon 19-Feb-18 21:57:31

Try soda crystals in the drum and halve the amount of powder you are using. The soda crystals will soften the water making the detergent more effective and because you are using less, there should be less residue and the washing won't be as hard, even without conditioner.

superram Mon 19-Feb-18 22:04:15

I would use white vinegar in the fabric softener tray

Butteredparsn1ps Mon 19-Feb-18 22:25:46

We live in a hard water area and I had this issue for a while. A combination of things has helped.

Initial 2 - 3 very hot washes with a capful of zoflora. Then monthly maintenance hot zoflora washes.

Removing the drawer after use and leaving the door open

I no longer use fabric softener, but use Calgon, ur more usually supermarket versions in each wash.

Try to empty the machine ASAP

Bigtree83 Thu 22-Feb-18 21:56:21

Keep the washing machine door ajar when not in use, this will also help with the freshness. Nice to see a manufacturer popping up to help. Zanussi have got a good reputation for customer care actually.

mybrainhurtsalot Fri 23-Feb-18 23:38:19

Oh we had this recently - the conditioner wasn’t emptying. It turned out that the tap thingy behind the machine was not fully open so water pressure was not strong enough to get over to the conditioner section. I think there was a small split in the plastic bit of the tap. It looked a bit like this:

www.screwfix.com/p/washing-machine-valve-tee-15mm-x-15mm-x/60723

squarecorners Fri 23-Feb-18 23:44:57

I make my own laundry powder that has no scent and I use a few drops of peppermint essential oil in the softener drawer (a large bottle has lasted me over a year) and my washing smells lovely now. Incidentally I now find the smell of commercial laundry detergents and softeners now knock me sick...

IndigoCat Sat 24-Feb-18 07:54:59

@ squarecorners - what is your laundry powder recipe please?

squarecorners Sat 24-Feb-18 08:36:36

3-4 bars of pink carbolic soap grated, 1 box of borax substitute, 1 bag of soda crystals. Also if I've got greasy things in the wash I stick a squirt of washing up liquid there too.

IndigoCat Sat 24-Feb-18 08:50:38

Thanks Squarecorners, that sounds straight forward, I will try that!

squarecorners Sat 24-Feb-18 09:42:37

top tip @indigocat, if you have a washing machine that is a bit stingy on the water "eco-friendly" you need to add extra water through your drawer or dissolve your detergent in water first. Modern machines are designed to be used with commercial detergents that have been formulated to dissolve easily.

IndigoCat Sat 24-Feb-18 11:08:13

Thanks Squarecorners, that’s good to know- also what do you use as a borax substitute?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: