Talk

Advanced search

Ready seasoned frying pan, why can’t I get this right?

(4 Posts)
Thewolfsjustapuppy Thu 08-Feb-18 20:06:10

DH bought a small Salter ready seasoned frying pan before Christmas and promptly washed it as he complained it was greasy hmm. I seasoned it, then DS washed it hmm. I seasoned it DH washed it, and so it goes on I have told my over clean family not to wash the pan but they don’t like that it still has the grease on from the last cooking so they wash it and think I won’t notice.
In fairness I don’t like it either as food seems to stick to it regardless of how much I try to season it and how low I keep the heat. What am I doing wrong, I know people who rave over these things confused.

MongerTruffle Thu 08-Feb-18 20:09:39

A modern cast iron pan is never going to be as non-stick as Teflon. You still need to use some sort of fat when cooking.
(They used to be polished by hand by the manufacturer, which made them non-stick, but this is done by machine now so isn't as effective.)

MessySurfaces Fri 09-Feb-18 11:53:01

Also a just-seasoned pan is often a bit sticky, it builds up over time. But it's never going to be like Teflon!

Abra1de Fri 09-Feb-18 11:55:52

I gently clean my Le Creuset cast-iron frying pan without washing up liquid, using a soft brush. Then I wipe it round with olive oil, using kitchen roll. It’s not obviously ‘greasy’ and is getting better and better with each use. Other family members are banned from washing it up.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: