Talk

Advanced search

Really boring dishwasher questions

(10 Posts)
Andbabymakesthree Thu 08-Feb-18 18:53:35

We are getting a dishwasher very soon- as soon as electrical socket put in!

I'm looking at detergent options. Do any of them come without being individually wrapped in plastic.

Also those of you who have a dishwasher do you still have a draining board. I'm hoping that we can get rid of the dreadful thing.

Tea towels. Did you manage to get rid of having lots?

MazDazzle Thu 08-Feb-18 18:57:20

Finish dishwasher tablets aren’t individually wrapped. We recently thought we’d try a cheaper brand, but I’m annoyed that they all come wrapped in plastic (I thought it would dissolve in the dishwasher, but no!).

We have a draining board, could do without it. Although, some larger baking trays and pans take up too much space, so we wash they by hand.

Fuckalella Thu 08-Feb-18 19:00:16

I couldn’t be without a dishwasher now! To answer your questions, I tend to use Fairy capsules which just go in whole without unwrapping, the outside coating dissolves in the wash. I do still have a draining board though, there are certain things that still have to be washed by hand unfortunately, I’d recommend that you keep it.

Never had many tea towels to be honest so no difference there!

milkmoustache Thu 08-Feb-18 19:01:37

Boxes of dishwasher powder are cheaper and free of plastic. We still use our draining tray for pans, wooden spoons and boards etc,and glasses. Quite like my collection of tea towels..

Andbabymakesthree Thu 08-Feb-18 19:01:40

Thank you. Sorry I meant draining rack.

Good to know about finish. My friend who uses the brand says they did but wasn't 100% sure.

Andbabymakesthree Thu 08-Feb-18 19:03:31

Definitely don't want capsules whose plastic dissolve into water. That's plastic in water system going into food chain.

Really restricted on space so minimising everything- cultery, tea towels.

virtualreality Thu 08-Feb-18 19:04:33

I use Magnum tabs from Aldi, dirt cheap, but they are the best I have ever used. Honestly. They are wrapped in foil though...... still it is not plastic!

One tip - when loading cutlery put each variety together in the cutlery holder, ie spoons together, knives together etc. It makes unloading such a quick doddle!

DogBark Thu 08-Feb-18 19:08:16

I don't think dishwasher tabs dissolvable plastic is a problem. It is things like hard plastic microbeads in beauty products that end up in the ocean. The dishwasher tabs dissolve completely (i.e. they are not actually plastic)

e1y1 Thu 08-Feb-18 20:54:24

Re the “plastic” in detergent capsules (laundry or dishwasher) is made of Polyvinyl Alcohol (PVA) it is a water soluble polymer, it is used in hundereds of applications from capsules to paper making to feminine hygiene products. In solutions of <5% it is non toxic to fish.

All non wrapped tablets will be made with PVA (mainly Fairy and Finish are the non wrapped ones). If you want to avoid completely, only thing would be dishwasher powder or liquid.

Andbabymakesthree Thu 08-Feb-18 22:01:17

I read that on Wiki too. I'm not convinced by the 5% claim tbh. Plastics have to go somewhere.

I think I'll look into powder.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now