Talk

Advanced search

How to get grubby-looking towels really clean?

(18 Posts)
brokenshoes Wed 07-Feb-18 15:46:42

My cream colour hand towels have quite large grubby areas in the part of the towel that is used to dry hands.

My suspicion is that it is excess hand soap as my daughter (has SEN) will often use too much soap and then dry her hands without rinsing them properly. I'm loathe to pick her up on this too much as sometimes she doesn't wash her hands under the tap at all...

I always wash at 60 or 95 degrees using bio powder, no fabric softener. Today I washed them in vinegar, then bicarb of soda. They still look grubby!!

Before anyone comments - cream colour towels pre-date my daughter if anyone wonders why we have an impractical colour grin. Still plenty of life left in them, if only I could get them looking clean.

HuskyMcClusky Wed 07-Feb-18 15:47:38

Nappy soaker? It’s cslled Napisan here, don’t know UK name.

brokenshoes Wed 07-Feb-18 16:18:24

Ooh, thank you. We can get Napisan here, so will give it a go.

mybrainhurtsalot Wed 07-Feb-18 20:24:56

Sunshine might also help.

Or buy some dylon and dye them a more forgiving colour.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Wed 07-Feb-18 20:26:26

Don't buy cream towels!

brokenshoes Wed 07-Feb-18 22:41:12

"Before anyone comments - cream colour towels pre-date my daughter if anyone wonders why we have an impractical colour grin. Still plenty of life left in them, if only I could get them looking clean."

They were fine until my daughter started using excess soap!

Justmuddlingalong Wed 07-Feb-18 22:44:25

Could you dye them a more forgiving colour?

brokenshoes Wed 07-Feb-18 22:44:40

I might have a go at dyeing them.

Having said all that, they do seem a bit better after the vinegar, then bicarb wash. Might soak them overnight in vinegar 🙄.

Then I'll try to stop thinking about my grubby towels and get a life 😅

NickMyLipple Wed 07-Feb-18 22:47:56

You can buy colour restorer sheets at the supermarket/Wilko and they're actually really good! Very cheap so certainly worth a try. If not try soaking overnight in vanish for whites.

HuskyMcClusky Thu 08-Feb-18 02:30:23

Seriously: hot soak in Napisan overnight and then normal wash. They’ll come up like new.

Giannap29 Thu 08-Feb-18 13:18:38

We have just recently started using Milton Laundry detergent and I couldn't reccommend this enough! It's great on stains, and great where little ones are concerned too as it's also hypoallergenic smile May well be worth a try bear x

brokenshoes Thu 08-Feb-18 14:10:50

I'll see if I can get some Napisan and soak overnight. Thank you!

MikeUniformMike Thu 08-Feb-18 18:19:57

I would soak them in hot water with soda crystals in it overnight or non-chlorine oxy powder. I find fabric dye will add life to towels but often the stitching thread is polyester and won't dye.

Fintress Thu 08-Feb-18 18:25:32

Another vote for Napisan. I use it for a lot of clothes, bedding, towels etc.

AlfieTheRailwayCat Thu 08-Feb-18 19:00:54

65 is at to high for bio. It has enzymes in it which won’t work about 40. Try them at a 30 wash with bio powder. If you want to wash above 40 you need non bio washing powder.

Mrsbryan1 Fri 09-Feb-18 11:53:50

Yes!! I totally agree with this! We've recently tried the Milton wash and found it brings everything up great and also enhances the smell of the fabric softener too!!

DuckOffAutocorrectYouShiv Fri 09-Feb-18 12:04:07

Broken, I have a similar issue with my teenaged DD wreaking havoc on all of my towels. Our issue isn’t soap it’s bloody make up angry. I spend a fortune on cleansers and whatnot to take it off and judging by the towels, she just wipes her face directly on them hmm. Some good tips on here, though. Blardy kids.

brokenshoes Fri 09-Feb-18 21:40:25

Ooh that's interesting about 65 being too high for bio powder. It makes sense now I think about it.

Lots of ideas to try!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: