Talk

Advanced search

Fledglings flying through craft stash in 2018

(118 Posts)
Bowerbird5 Wed 03-Jan-18 20:27:04

Since I joined the fledglings thread I noticed quite a few people have and find de-cluttering craft stashes difficult. Lots of crafters have half finished projects lying around creating more clutter.I'm very guilty of this.
So I have started my first thread.

The idea will be that you pick up one of those projects and complete within a month. Those that are clever( not me) can post a photo of the result on this thread for the rest of us to admire.
Also those new to a craft can ask advice of those experienced crafters. You can also post about organising and decluttering your craft area.
So crafty fledglings I'll start off.

I bought some wool from Yorkshire because I saw it in the window in Leyburn and had to have it. It was in June. So I started it on Jan1 and I am knitting( slowly) a snood. I aim to have it finished by the 31st Jan, 2018 😁
What is your pledge?

Wh0KnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Wed 03-Jan-18 20:46:13

Thank you, I only post intermittently on the fledgling threads at the moment but am a regular lurker.

This is possibly bending the rules slightly as it’s not my own stash, but I have a part assembled Candy’s Hug for Woolly Hugs that has been sitting around for a few weeks and which I would like to finish by 14th Jan.

Bowerbird5 Thu 04-Jan-18 00:58:41

If it's in your house it counts, so look forward to seeing it. Off 😉to find out what it is.

Bowerbird5 Thu 04-Jan-18 01:18:07

Ah it is like Loving Hands. Both very worthwhile charities.

Callmecordelia Fri 05-Jan-18 08:49:47

I have a jumper for DD, a jacket for DS and a skirt sitting around. I can't finish the jumper until I finish the jacket sleeves (same needle).

HillsBesideTheSea Fri 05-Jan-18 08:55:34

I have a pair of socks made as a gift that need the toes ripping out and an extra half inch adding. I also have a had that should have been made a while back. And some hand spun that needs its twist setting. These are realistic to get done. I have a big piece of counted cross stitch that I want completed by Easter. It is not realistic to complete by end of Jan though it is too large and it may well take me until June to finish it depending on what life throws.

HillsBesideTheSea Fri 05-Jan-18 09:10:29

hat to make make not a had to make.

Subtleconstraints Fri 05-Jan-18 10:57:09

Thank you very much for the new thread Bowerbird5!

I am on manoeuvres atm and won't be back until the latter half of Jan, but hope to have a small sewing project completed by the end of the month!

WhoWants2Know Fri 05-Jan-18 11:04:51

My kids are almost as bad as me with the number of craft kits they get for Christmas and birthdays. My aim is to have them each work through one during the weekends when they're with me so they aren't all still here by the end of the year. This moth it's stone painting and slime making.

LadyDeadpool Fri 05-Jan-18 11:38:10

I saw craft and stash and knew I was home.

Due to various mental health issues I'm disabled and don't really go out so I kind of hoard projects instead to keep my mind from bad places I have a stupidly large stash too.

I'm trying to think of all my projects, right now I can only think of the junk journal and gameboy colour I was customizing. Finishing the GBC would be a serious achievement though as its for DH and I've been "doing" it for a year now blush

CotswoldStrife Fri 05-Jan-18 11:44:27

Joining in - I don't have a massive craft stash and would like to keep it that way, so will turn a few balls of yarn into scarves/hats by the end of the month. I love scarves!

GemmaB78 Fri 05-Jan-18 11:50:12

Joining. I have 3 knitting WIPs, plus the yarn purchased for two futher projects, one embroidery WIP and two sewing WIPs.

Target for this month: finish the lace shawl WIP.

HillsBesideTheSea Fri 05-Jan-18 12:45:19

Urm I should probably add weave all the ends on the sock pile to January's goals. I am very good at the making part not very good at the finishing part blushblush

Bower just to echo SC's thanks for the thread.

HillsBesideTheSea Fri 05-Jan-18 13:12:53

I have just counted. I have 12 pairs of made but not end woven socks made blushblushblush

Bowerbird5 Fri 05-Jan-18 15:09:52

If you did two pairs a month you could be finished them by June hills.

What a lovely surprise to see people have found it.

A big welcome to the fledglings flying ( some of us met trying to FLY) and a great welcome to new names too. I hope we can enjoy each other's company too. I have been knitting a bit each day setting aside 1/2 hr but it seems to have continued for longer so I think it will be finished by the end of January. I also need to stretch and frame a small needlepoint for a lady I know. She will be back from family in about a fortnight so I will add that to January. I have lots of other projects but they can wait till next month unless I finish early😳

LadyDP you could earmark half to be finished if it is too much for Jan.sounds very interesting. Glad you have found the thread. Hills you could do the same earmark a section to be done by Jan.
on my course last year we joined a "stitch a day" and it really made a difference because of course you never did just one stitch though you could if you were too busy. It meant you got it out and started.
Keep posting to let me know how you are getting on.

Stilllivinginazoo Fri 05-Jan-18 16:19:20

<sidles in>
I have a wool stash
I have lots of patterns
I need to start knitting again
I am also learning to crochet and want make a blanket
I will decide over the weekend where to start

Wh0KnowsWhereTheT1meG0es Fri 05-Jan-18 16:27:52

Progress report - zero blush. Must try harder! I have parcelled up some wool to send to someone else if that counts.

randomsabreuse Fri 05-Jan-18 17:33:02

I have a few balls of cheap wool which I am learning to crochet with. I tend to take it away with me as there is less guilt about hobbies when chores aren't there. Need to do more craft though- loads of cross stitch to finish/ make into cushions and I have ideas about a stocking for DD.

Have been lurking on the flying thread for a while - might try to join in soon!

Callmecordelia Fri 05-Jan-18 18:30:54

For those who use it, the new Ravelry project challenge feature might be useful running alongside this thread. More info on the Rav home page. www.ravelry.com

WhispersOfWickedness Fri 05-Jan-18 21:22:28

Thank you for the thread!
I have tried most crafts and have stuck with Sewing for the past two years, so that's what I'm doing at the moment 😊 I have a slip cover for a footstool that I'm hoping to have finished by the end of the weekend, I've got the sides and bottom hem to finish, so not too much 😊
My next project should really be my mum's birthday present that I've not started yet, but will definitely take me longer than a month, so I will aim to have all fabric chosen and cut out by the end of January, will post a picture of what I'm hoping it will turn out like when I post a picture of the finished footstool cover 😁 I need to completely finish that by her birthday, which is in March 😊
If I have time, I'll try and tackle some of the WIP that have been started and never finished, there are a few, but they're not urgent, so not a priority 😳

MintCakeMavis Fri 05-Jan-18 21:42:50

I’ll join. I have a tea cosy to finish knitting. I aim to get at least half done in the next few weeks. I may need to give up work to do it all - but it’s a start.

Picking up the needles now!

HillsBesideTheSea Fri 05-Jan-18 22:26:06

i don't know about that Rav feature. thanks callme

Come join in the fledgling flying fun randoms just ignore my underslept, over caffeinated, should know better than to open the teen's door rants

HillsBesideTheSea Fri 05-Jan-18 23:14:38

Going to be honest Bower I'd like to get 2 pairs a week done at least because I want them socks to keep my toes toasty in this increasingly chilly weather. although thank fuck for not having the -40C/-40F temperatures of the East coast of USA, there is not enough wool socks for that

Bowerbird5 Sat 06-Jan-18 01:16:45

That's a good point toasty toes! Minus 25 is the coldest it has ever been here. My friend in Canada had minus 36.

Thanks for the reminder to Ravely link Callme and I would add another especially if you do want to get rid by sending ( yes it is acceptable) which is Lovinghands. A friend of mine does a lot of work for this charity. So anyone finishing jumpers that are now to small can send them on.
Great to see so many joining in.😃

LisaMed1 Sat 06-Jan-18 14:12:01

May I join? I don't often visit Housekeeping (and you can tell by my house) but I have a gazillion half finished projects.

I have a lot of sewing projects where I have the fabric but lost the will to live. I'm scared of my sewing machine.

Currently working on a triangle shawl to use up yarn. At least, that's the unfinished project that's nearest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now