Talk

Advanced search

'settlement' cracks in plaster

(10 Posts)
howmanyusernames Wed 06-Dec-17 13:56:13

We've just had our loft converted, and the old landing ceiling was replastered as they'd cut a hole to get the new loft stairs in.
We noticed this week that there is a crack on this ceiling, not huge but you can see it and the edge isn't 'flush' now (about an inch around the edge is metal - which has been plastered and painted - so it's just inside this that seems to have shrunk?).
We spoke to the builder today and they said it's normal, that it will happen over the first month, and that we will have to fix it (with plaster).
Is this normal?! I feel it should be their responsibility (especially as we've paid £40k for the loft to be done!) but they said as it's not 'structural' it's ours!

Spam88 Wed 06-Dec-17 14:02:36

I have a new build house and we were told cracks are normal as the plaster dries out, so they wouldn't touch them up. If they were wider than the thickness of a pound coin then they would sort them.

howmanyusernames Wed 06-Dec-17 14:04:18

Ah ok, I'll have a measure when I get home!
I think where I've bought a couple of new builds in the past, I know they get settlement cracks but the builders have always then sorted it.

whiskyowl Wed 06-Dec-17 14:05:25

Some small cracks are normal and can be polyfilled and painted over. It's just one of those headaches that goes with making good after building work. What worries me is that you're saying that the edge isn't flush with the beading any more - can you show us a picture? If the plasterboards are moving a lot, it may need proper sorting out.

howmanyusernames Wed 06-Dec-17 14:22:24

It might just be my super sensitive touch, but will have another feel tonight and try and take a photo!

ChangedToday Wed 06-Dec-17 14:32:00

My builders came back months later to deal with these. Totally normal occurrence but make sure you leave it long enough to settle. However if you experience more serious movement you might need them to address this sooner.

howmanyusernames Wed 06-Dec-17 21:38:04

Okay, here’s a couple of photos.
My OH spoke to the builder and they said it’s not up to them to fix it.
I still have to pay the final instalment, but if we have to spend money to get it plastered is that fair, and should we ask for this off the final bill?

Spam88 Thu 07-Dec-17 09:10:26

That crack looks pretty bad to me 😕 have you shown them the pictures?

whiskyowl Thu 07-Dec-17 09:26:36

I don't think you need it plastered -you need a decorator to open up the crack, fill it, and repaint. This will involve repainting the whole ceiling, but it's a lot less disruptive and expensive than a reskim. I think I would be tempted to ask for the money off the final bill, but I guess it depends a bit on the T&Cs of the sale whether you get this.

howmanyusernames Fri 08-Dec-17 08:00:04

The ‘edge bit’ is metal and it looks/feels like the plaster on the inside of that has shrunk when it’s dried out.
My OH has told the builder but they said it’s normal, and not their responsibility to fix it, and my (stupid) OH has agreed! angry
Still waiting for the final bill from them so will see what that is! They did fix a few things like a leaking chimney etc (previous quote £800), and only charged £195 to put a whole new electric fuse box in (we had the old one where you have to actually put a metal strip in when it goes), so will see what the final bill is first maybe?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now