Talk

Advanced search

Open fire

(10 Posts)
whyIsARavenLikeAWritingDesk Wed 06-Dec-17 09:58:08

Not really house keeping as such but...
We have just into a property which has a gorgeous log burner in the dining room. In the living room there's a fire place and it has been boarded up. When we moved in we were told that it isn't lined? Is it possible to get the lined just for an open fire? Are the any specifics we would need to look at?
I don't want to go to a shop as I don't want to look stupid so thought I'd get all the facts first smilegrin

HeyMacWey Wed 06-Dec-17 10:03:30

How old is the house?

Give a chimney sweep a call and ask him to come and have a look to make sure it's safe to use.

It's more than likely safe for open fires.

junglie Wed 06-Dec-17 10:06:30

Our chimneys not lined. It was built before linings were around. I'd advise having a HETAS approved sweep coming around and they would be able to inspect it closely and look at the condition of it. If you have a local fire showroom they probably could give you the numbers of someone they trust.

specialsubject Wed 06-Dec-17 11:37:47

open fires are under 20% efficient and suck heat up the chimney. If you give a tiny stuff about the environment, don't do it.

crumbsinthecutlerydrawer Fri 08-Dec-17 12:49:34

We have an open fire, we were excited about it when we moved in as we’ve never had one before BUT it is crap and haven’t lit it at all this year. Doesn’t heat the room and you only feel the warmth unless you nearly climb in it and burns through everything at a silly rate. The central heating is much better.

Maybe I’m doing something wrong but the houses I’ve been in with wood stoves are much warmer and the heat seems to spread out better.

crumbsinthecutlerydrawer Fri 08-Dec-17 12:50:28

* I meant if not unless, that sentence sounds really wrong.

JoJoSM2 Fri 08-Dec-17 15:10:25

I presume you want an open fire for the effect band not for heating? Lining can be done but it is expensive. Also check what you’re allowed to burn. For example, in our area it’s smokeless fuel only.

specialsubject Fri 08-Dec-17 15:14:52

Yes , as I said open fires are much less efficient than log burners.

SkyIsTooHigh Fri 08-Dec-17 21:41:19

Get a sweep out to assess. We pay £60 to have our chimney swept and they always remind us we don't need a liner, comment on any firebricks that need replacing etc. You won't sound stupid and they can advise you based on what you actually have.

The main argument against open fires for us is an open chimney sucks ambient heat out of the living room 24/7. It's a bit like leaving a window open all year round! How much this would materially add to your central heating bills I've no idea, but we certainly felt the difference when we installed a largely ornamental woodburner (which we now use most days in winter!)

GalactiCat Fri 08-Dec-17 21:50:49

We have two open fires downstairs and the heat they chuck out is incredible. Once they get going we open up up all the doors and they warm the house up. And it keeps the downstairs lovely and warm overnight. I only put the heating on twice a day for an hour now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now