Talk

Advanced search

Cleaning Shirt Collars

(8 Posts)
Stitchit Sun 03-Dec-17 20:46:49

Bugger, bugger, bugger!

Somehow I've made it into my thirties without knowing how to clean a shirt collar properly.

DH's shirts have got the beginning of staining on the inside of his collars, what do I do? (Please don't suggest I tell him that he cleans them - he does a 50 hour week and I'm SAH, so I figure it's a fair deal).

I distantly recall my mum hovering over my dad's with the household bleach when I was a youngster, but I'm not entirely sure this is the right way to go? She was no domestic goddess (which is probably why I'm not either...)

What do you do with dirty shirt collars?

Thanks!

dementedpixie Sun 03-Dec-17 21:23:22

Rub household soap into them before washing?

RippleEffects Sun 03-Dec-17 21:29:52

I use a dampnail brush and rub in a teaspoon of what we call whites powder. This stuff from Lidl, more expensive equivalents from brands available [grin]

If staining is very light I just bung a heaped spoon of the whites powder into the whites wash.

Furball Sun 03-Dec-17 21:34:50

I bought dh's shirts up to literal brand new, by putting a dilute washing up liquid on the stains and putting them on a really hot ie 90 degree wash.

It was a case of do or die and worked a treat

madmomma Sun 03-Dec-17 21:38:20

Wet the collar then rub a vanish bar over the crease line before a normal wash. I do this before every wash.

CMOTDibbler Sun 03-Dec-17 21:41:52

Soak them in napisan, and then chuck some napisan in each wash. Also, use biological powder to wash them at 40 - Lidl powder is my preferred brand for whites

Stitchit Sun 03-Dec-17 23:06:24

You lot are starstarstar

Thank you.

jellyshoeswithdiamonds Mon 04-Dec-17 14:09:17

When I get to the end of my Fairy wadhing up liquid I add water, swish it around in the bottle and then put it by the washing machine to remind me to use it.

I do a shirts wash every week so then when I see the bottle there squirt it onto all the collars and put to go.

Obviously this isn't a weekly process (I don't go through Fairy that quickly) but I've found doing this keeps on top of the grime and keeps shirts looking good as new.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now